The right hand of God

DPMartin

Apr 12, 2013
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think , mercy is from the left only because Salvation is a result of God's Mercy.

as far as the right hand it might be cultural in the relationship between the Lord God and His people. for example Hebrew text reads from right to left, also one hand was used for one thing and the other another in the sense of defecation and eating. running water and toilet paper wasn't like it is today. theses may not be the reasons for, but it very well could be along the same lines.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God fights the enemies in our way with His right hand, and He guides us along like the sheep of His flock with His left. It is as the right hand releases the bow to power the shot, while the left hand guides the arrow (those hand uses are in several psalms). Writing in Hebrew covers the line as we write, just as God's salvation (Jesus) covers the sins of our past as we journey into His mercy.

Upvote 0

DPMartin

Apr 12, 2013
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
God fights the enemies in our way with His right hand, and He guides us along like the sheep of His flock with His left. It is as the right hand releases the bow to power the shot, while the left hand guides the arrow (those hand uses are in several psalms). Writing in Hebrew covers the line as we write, just as God's salvation (Jesus) covers the sins of our past as we journey into His mercy.

well when it comes to right and left hand, I'd say the Lord Jesus knows best what is meant:

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Jesus sets at the Right Hand of Power, and not the left, for a reason.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder about this myself. Here are a few scriptures I dug up. The most notable for me is the comparison between Colossians 3 and Job 23, note things on the right hand are hidden (in these two scriptures anyway)

Job 23:9 On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him:

Colossians 3 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Proverbs 3:16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

Proverbs 4:27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just a side note, something I just noticed. Perhaps proverbs 4:27 means that we should not put confidence in our plans, i.e. neither turning right or left. It seem to make sense in the light of proverbs 16:9 and 3:16. Christ did say to take no thought for our life, and Paul said be anxious for nothing, and James said boast not in tomorrow, which is yet another proverb as well I think.

Proverbs 3:16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

Proverbs 16:9 The heart of man plans his way,
but the Lord establishes his steps.

Proverbs 4:27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, these scriptures are intriguing. Here is yet another scripture I remembered as I was meditating on the others. Matthew 6:3

Job 23:9 On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him:

Colossians 3 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your[a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Matthew 6:3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums