Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Glorying In Deprivation

Our God and Father overflows with goodness toward us. He desires that we be abundantly supplied unto all completeness and fulness, prospering in every dimension of life.

Yet, those of us who know something of His ways have come to realize how strategically He uses deprivation in our lives, not, as some might presume, because He is displeased with us and wants to make that point by denying us life’s satisfactions, but because deprivation and supply work together to the end that ultimately, according to His will, “no good thing” shall be withheld from us.

“He, who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?”

How sweetly those words fall upon our ears, and how instantly our spirit with His witnesses to their truth. But how do we reconcile the apparent incompatibility between His delight in giving and His ofttimes non-negotiable denials? Many times He seems to be utterly neglectful of our most basic needs, and untouched by the physical, mental and emotional pain we bear.

Besides, we see others suffering and we are deeply moved, but He, of infinite resources, far more than enough for the challenge, makes no move to bring them relief.

You say, “Oh but He does, I’ve seen Him heal the sick, bind up the broken-hearted, and deliver captives.” Yes, I too have seen Him bare His mighty arm of deliverance many times and bring relief from suffering and need in miraculous ways, but I have also seen, in my own life and the lives of others, hours, days, weeks and years, even many, many years drag on with little, if any, respite from incessant pain and sorrow, not to mention the experience of having Him bring an end to one long night of suffering and usher us into realms of glory, only to have such an experience be followed by another gut-wrenching tribulation.

Some who read this have received desperately needed provision and before they are even able to settle into the enjoyment of the blessing have it taken away in a way so unexpected and sudden as to be bone-jarringly traumatic.

Those who foolishly, immaturely and dogmatically insist that our lack of faith is the cause of all protracted affliction, that God would certainly end our suffering immediately if only we would desist in our unbelief; such shallow-hearted, and shallow-minded ones hardly deserve a hearing. There are those of very little faith, if any, who have enjoyed the Lord’s abundant provision, while others, rich in faith, rich in mountain-moving faith, have to live with a level of such disconcerting deprivation, as to be pushed to the edge of despair.

If the love of God simply means that God would like to bring relief to us if only we would let Him, or as some would put it, if only “we would get in a place where God can bless us,” then that love is an impotent love, a sentimental, wishful love that has only marginal effect on the human condition.

BUT if that love has a purpose so sublime, so wonderful, so beyond our ability to ask or conceive of, and if that love, in it’s wisdom, must incorporate interim (yes, interim, for what seems endless to us is but a passing moment compared with eternal ecstasy) suffering into its plan in order to plow our earth to receive and bear the fruit of the Seed of His fulness, Christ Jesus our Lord, then that is another matter.

-John R. Gavazzoni-

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Airō is the foundation for what John saw as he beheld the Saviour of the WHOLE kosmos!

“Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the whole world.”

airō =

To lift up/ to draw up.

To take upon Himself & carry it away.

To remove & appropriate was is taken.

"The very next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and yelled out, “Here he is, God’s Passover Lamb! He forgives the sins of the world! This is the man I’ve been talking about, ‘the One who comes after me but is really ahead of me.’ I knew nothing about who he was—only this: that my task has been to get Israel ready to recognize him as the God-Revealer. That is why I came here baptizing with water, giving you a good bath and scrubbing sins from your life so you can get a fresh start with God.” -MSG-

A.P. Adams Articles

adams.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Our Steady God

As the image of the invisible God, the radiance of His glory, the exact image of His Person, God's Son continues always, through thick and thin, steady as His Father: "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and into the eons." It's the character of Jesus because it's the character of Him who begat Him. For the Son, steady goes it, out from within His Father into the world, perfectly expressing that character of His Father by which He is unfazed in the face of the changing circumstances of this world, and especially unfazed by the enmity toward Him that characterizes, in the main, the present universal human condition.

That steadiness is the steadiness of love.

The love that God is requires that He be unflinchingly steady whether He is loved or hated, obeyed or disobeyed, confessed or denied. He is never so conflicted that having been offended by us, He must set aside His love until proper punishment is handed out that satisfies His (supposed) need to have His holiness appeased: "Sorry, I've got to hurt you, or hurt Someone standing in for you, or otherwise my righteousness stands in the way of my love for you."

Continued Below

Our Steady God

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the Son, steady goes it, out from within His Father into the world, perfectly expressing that character of His Father by which He is unfazed in the face of the changing circumstances of this world, and especially unfazed by the enmity toward Him that characterizes, in the main, the present universal human condition.

Jesus like the brazen serpent in the desert. Fireproof (unfazed by enmity towards him) and serpentine (standing for everything the world despises).

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:4-5)

Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”

"Will have" = thelo

"He will manifest in His own time, He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords,"

Potentate = Sovereign authority = exousia =

Ability & strength to do as He pleases.

Our God is not the ultimate gambler. He Is the One who does as He pleases with the ability & strength to do it.

He is not the God of good wishes.

"It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him."

81fad923159439d10e2a772fbebd026155f3a01c.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“FOR THE SON OF MAN IS COME TO SEEK AND TO SAVE THAT WHICH WAS LOST.” (Luke 19:10)

From the Master’s own parables & His essential nature, so long as anything is lost, Jesus Christ will go on seeking and saving; for He is always the same? (Heb. 13:8). “The lost” are His charge, and not some of the lost!

Or are we to read this verse ? ?

He came to save the lost but those in the fullest sense lost He will never save?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Romans 8 speaks of us and them, not only they, but us also.

Within that context there is the expansion to “the whole creation” made subject to vanity “not willingly”, but by reason of Him who made it so.

The outcome =

The whole of created life shall be delivered / set free.

The words “set free” =

kathistemi eleutheroo

Kathistemi = to appoint / constitute.

Eleutheroo = to make free from sin. To deliver.

No more let sin & sorrow grow or thorns infest the ground, He comes to make His blessings flow …

FAR AS THE CURSE IS FOUND

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“Wherefore God has highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

At = en

The name = anoma

Jesus = Iēsous

Every = pas

Should bow = kamptō

Heaven = epouranios

Earth = epigeros

Underworld = katachtonios

"He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making. He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth. It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone."

1. All beings.

2. All dimensions.

3. In union with the Name.

4. Pas = radically means all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am a convinced universalist.

I believe that in the end all men will be gathered into the love of God.

In the early days Origen was the great name connected with universalism. I would believe with Origen that universalism is no easy thing. Origen believed that after death there were many who would need prolonged instruction, the sternest discipline, even the severest punishment before they were fit for the presence of God. Origen did not eliminate hell; he believed that some people would have to go to heaven via hell.

Origen

He believed that even at the end of the day there would be some on whom the scars remained. He did not believe in eternal punishment, but he did see the possibility of eternal penalty. And so the choice is whether we accept God’s offer and invitation willingly, or take the long and terrible way round through ages of purification.

Gregory of Nyssa offered three reasons why he believed in universalism.

First, he believed in it because of the character of God. “Being good, God entertains pity for fallen man; being wise, he is not ignorant of the means for his recovery.”

Second, he believed in it because of the nature of evil. Evil must in the end be moved out of existence, “so that the absolutely non-existent should cease to be at all.” Evil is essentially negative and doomed to non-existence.

Third, he believed in it because of the purpose of punishment. The purpose of punishment is always remedial. Its aim is “to get the good separated from the evil and to attract it into the communion of blessedness.” Punishment will hurt, but it is like the fire which separates the alloy from the gold; it is like the surgery which removes the diseased thing; it is like the cautery which burns out that which cannot be removed any other way.

But I want to set down not the arguments of others but the thoughts which have persuaded me personally of universal salvation.

First, there is the fact that there are things in the New Testament which more than justify this belief. Jesus said: “I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself” (John 12:32). Paul writes to the Romans: “God has consigned all men to disobedience that he may have mercy on all” (Rom. 11:32).

He writes to the Corinthians: “As in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Cor. 15:22); and he looks to the final total triumph when God will be everything to everyone (1 Cor. 15:28).

In the First Letter to Timothy we read of God “who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth,” and of Christ Jesus “who gave himself as a ransom for all” (1 Tim 2:4-6). The New Testament itself is not in the least afraid of the word all.

Second, one of the key passages is Matthew 25:46 where it is said that the rejected go away to eternal punishment, and the righteous to eternal life. The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. I think it is true to say that in all Greek secular literature kolasis is never used of anything but remedial punishment.

The word for eternal is aionios. It means more than everlasting, for Plato – who may have invented the word – plainly says that a thing may be everlasting and still not be aionios. The simplest way to out it is that aionios cannot be used properly of anyone but God; it is the word uniquely, as Plato saw it, of God. Eternal punishment is then literally that kind of remedial punishment which it befits God to give and which only God can give.

Third, I believe that it is impossible to set limits to the grace of God. I believe that not only in this world, but in any other world there may be, the grace of God is still effective, still operative, still at work. I do not believe that the operation of the grace of God is limited to this world. I believe that the grace of God is as wide as the universe.

Fourth, I believe implicitly in the ultimate and complete , the time when all things will be subject to him, and when God will be everything to everyone (1 Cor. 15:24-28).

For me this has certain consequences.

If one man remains outside the love of God at the end of time, it means that that one man has defeated the love of God – and that is impossible.

Further, there is only one way in which we can think of the triumph of God.

If God was no more than a King or Judge, then it would be possible to speak of his triumph, if his enemies were agonizing in hell or were totally and completely obliterated and wiped out.

But God is not only King and Judge, God is Father – he is indeed Father more than anything else. No father could be happy while there were members of his family for ever in agony. No father would count it a triumph to obliterate the disobedient members of his family.

The only triumph a father can know is to have all his family back home. The only victory love can enjoy is the day when its offer of love is answered by the return of love. The only possible final triumph is a universe loved by and in love with God. -Dr. Wm. Barclay-

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nothing is more evident in the Word of God than the fact that man had his beginning IN GOD.

Every son of Adam, born as he is in trespasses and sins, enters into this world shrouded by the darkness of the carnal mind and imprisoned by the power of the carnal nature.

But it was not always so!

Everything everywhere outside of Christ belongs to the realm of death, and because it belongs to the realm of death, it likewise belongs to the realm of darkness.

Before ever man touched this dreadful realm the record states: “In the beginning WAS the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. In Him was life; and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:1,4).

It is a wonderful fact that in Him IS life, and His life IS the light of every man who believes, but, wonder of wonders, in that long ago beginning Christ was then the life & His life was the life of men.

It was into this realm outside of Christ, the realm of outer darkness, that Adam was banished when he partook of that strange tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There he died, as God had warned, and we all died in him.

Thus death passed upon all men, for all have sinned. Has mankind not fully proved throughout the centuries that he is in truth the son of Adam?

Which of all God’s commandments have we not broken, justifying ourselves in having done so even as Adam seemed to do. -J. Preston Eby-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear girls & boys: our Father has built into His great draw in Jesus the Christ a flawless Plan of magnificent scope.

The word for today shall be “unprecedented.”

“Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus…”

NOTHING!

Not death.

Not life.

Not angels.

Not powers.

Not the present/ not the future.

No power.

Take your choice

ouden = nothing

medan = containing certain impossibilities

oudi ti = the most forceful expression

Ouden & megan & oudi ti declare it is impossible for anything to separate us from Abba:

NOTHING!

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The question of universalism (the Restitution of all things) is usually argued on a basis altogether misleading (as though the point involved was chiefly, or wholly, man’s endless suffering).

Odious and repulsive to every moral instinct, as is that dogma, it is not the turning point of this controversy.

The vital question is this, that the creed by teaching the perpetuity of evil, points to a victorious devil, and to sin as finally triumphant over God.

It makes the corrupt, yes, the bestial in our fallen nature to be eternal. It represents what is foulest and most loathsome in man, the most obstinate sin as being enduring as God Himself.

It confers the dignity of immortal life on what is morally abominable.

It teaches perpetual anarchy, and a final chaos.

It enthrones pandemonium as an eternal fact side by side with Paradise; and, gazing over its fetid and obscene abysses, is not afraid to call this the triumph of Jesus Christ, this the realization of the promise that God shall be “All in All”.

-Christ Triumphant-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Madeleine L’Engle

L’Engle was Episcopalian and believed in Christian universalism, which insisted that everyone will ultimately be saved by God. She meditated on religious issues in such books as And It Was Good: Reflections on Beginnings (1983). L’Engle also worked at St. John the Divine in New York City as a librarian and writer-in-residence for more than three decades.

An interview with Ilaria Ramelli

hqdefault.jpg

Apokatastasis—An interview with Ilaria Ramelli

Anne Bronte

One of the three famous Bronte sisters, Anne is remembered for being the most pious. Before she died from tuberculosis at the tender age of 29, Anne admitted to a faith in universalism, as the following poem and letter testify.

A Word to The 'Elect

You may rejoice to think yourselves secure;
You may be grateful for the gift divine -
That grace unsought, which made your black hearts pure,
And fits your earth-born souls in Heaven to shine.

But, is it sweet to look around, and view
Thousands excluded from that happiness
Which they deserved, at least, as much as you, -
Their faults not greater, nor their virtues less?

And, wherefore should you love your God the more,
Because to you alone his smiles are given;
Because he chose to pass the many o’er,
And only bring the favoured few to Heaven?

And, wherefore should your hearts more grateful prove,
Because for ALL the Saviour did not die?
Is yours the God of justice and of love?
And are your bosoms warm with charity?

Say, does your heart expand to all mankind?
And, would you ever to your neighbor do -
The weak, the strong, the enlightened, and the blind -
As you would have your neighbor do to you?

And, when you, looking on your fellow-men,
Behold them doomed to endless misery,
How can you talk of joy and rapture then? -
May God withhold such cruel joy from me!

That none deserve eternal bliss I know;
Unmerited the grace in mercy given:
But, none shall sink to everlasting woe,
That have not well deserved the wrath of Heaven.

And, oh! there lives within my heart
A hope, long nursed by me;
(And, should its cheering ray depart,
How dark my soul would be!)

That as in Adam all have died,
In Christ shall all men live;
And ever round his throne abide,
Eternal praise to give.

That even the wicked shall at last
Be fitted for the skies;
And, when their dreadful doom is past,
To life and light arise.

I ask not, how remote the day,
Nor what the sinners’ woe,
Before their dross is purged away;
Enough for me, to know

That when the cup of wrath is drained,
The metal purified,
They’ll cling to what they once disdained,
And live by Him that died.

–Anne Bronte (1843)

Florence Nightingale

Theology

Nightingale was a Christian universalist.

On 7 February 1837 – not long before her 17th birthday – something happened that would change her life: “God spoke to me”, she wrote, “and called me to His service.”

Hannah W. Smith

The Unselfishness of God and How I Discovered It (the missing chapters)

“Nothing can separate you from His love, absolutely nothing, neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature… We do not need to beg Him to bless us, He simply cannot help it. Therefore God is enough! God is enough for time, God is enough for eternity. God is enough!” -Hannah Whitall Smith-

Clara Barton (Founder Red Cross)

Although not formally a member of the Universalist Church of America in a 1905 letter to the widow of Carl Norman Thrasher, she identified herself with her parents’ church as a “Universalist”.

My dear friend and sister:

Your belief that I am a Universalist is as correct as your greater belief that you are one yourself, a belief in which all who are privileged to possess it rejoice. In my case, it was a great gift, like St. Paul, I “was born free”, and saved the pain of reaching it through years of struggle and doubt.

My father was a leader in the building of the church in which Hosea Ballow preached his first dedication sermon. Your historic records will show that the old Huguenot town of Oxford, Mass. erected one of, if not the first Universalist Church in America. In this town I was born; in this church I was reared. In all its reconstructions and remodelings I have taken a part, and I look anxiously for a time in the near future when the busy world will let me once more become a living part of its people, praising God for the advance in the liberal faith of the religions of the world today, so largely due to the teachings of this belief.

Give, I pray you, dear sister, my warmest congratulations to the members of your society. My best wishes for the success of your annual meeting, and accept my thanks most sincerely for having written me.

Fraternally yours, (Signed) Clara Barton.

Clara Barton - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God is working to meet and correct an awful fall.

This is precisely what the Restitution of our Abba is about.

The Second Death & The Restitution Of All Things.

The complete book below >>>>

TLC - "Christ Triumphant", by Thomas Allin

The Author & Finisher is working to meet & correct an awful fall.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
iu

"It is finished" declares the Saviour of all mankind, the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Finished" = teleo =

To bring to a close.

To end/ complete/ fulfill.

Nothing can be added to what our Lord has done. There is nothing any of us can add.

He has brought to a close God's plan of salvation !

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

In my own goofy way I believe the Saviour of all mankind is not a potential Saviour, He IS the ONLY Saviour.

In my own goofy way I believe, He the Saviour of the ta pavnte, is completely successful in all He does.

In my own goofy way I believe He is the ONLY Way!

In my own goofy way I know He loses nothing.

In my own goofy way I believe He will draw all mankind to Himself, the good, bad and ugly!

In my own goofy way I believe the Son of Abba, the Lord Isous, succeeds where all others fail.

Upvote 0