The Reformation and the "Evangelical" church today?

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is the Reformation Over?
by R.C. Sproul

Is the Reformation over? There have been several observations rendered on this subject by those I would call “erstwhile evangelicals.” One of them wrote, “Luther was right in the sixteenth century, but the question of justification is not an issue now.” A second self-confessed evangelical made a comment in a press conference I attended that “the sixteenth-century Reformation debate over justification by faith alone was a tempest in a teapot.” Still another noted European theologian has argued in print that the doctrine of justification by faith alone is no longer a significant issue in the church. We are faced with a host of people who are defined as Protestants but who have evidently forgotten altogether what it is they are protesting.
Contrary to some of these contemporary assessments of the importance of the doctrine of justification by faith alone, we recall a different perspective by the sixteenth-century magisterial Reformers. Luther made his famous comment that the doctrine of justification by faith alone is the article upon which the church stands or falls. John Calvin added a different metaphor, saying that justification is the hinge upon which everything turns. In the twentieth century, J.I. Packer used a metaphor indicating that justification by faith alone is the “Atlas upon whose shoulder every other doctrine stands.” Later Packer moved away from that strong metaphor and retreated to a much weaker one, saying that justification by faith alone is “the fine print of the gospel.”
The question we have to face in light of these discussions is, what has changed since the sixteenth century? Well, there is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that people have become much more civil and tolerant in theological disputes. We don’t see people being burned at the stake or tortured on the rack over doctrinal differences. We’ve also seen in the past years that the Roman communion has remained solidly steadfast on other key issues of Christian orthodoxy, such as the deity of Christ, His substitutionary atonement, and the inspiration of the Bible, while many Protestant liberals have abandoned these particular doctrines wholesale. We also see that Rome has remained steadfast on critical moral issues such as abortion and ethical relativism. In the nineteenth century at Vatican Council I, Rome referred to Protestants as “heretics and schismatics.” In the twentieth century at Vatican II, Protestants were referred to as “separated brethren.” We see a marked contrast in the tone of the different councils. The bad news, however, is that many doctrines that divided orthodox Protestants from Roman Catholics centuries ago have been declared dogma since the sixteenth century. Virtually all of the significant Mariology decrees have been declared in the last 150 years. The doctrine of papal infallibility, though it de facto functioned long before its formal definition, was nevertheless formally defined and declared de fide (necessary to believe for salvation) in 1870 at Vatican Council I. We also see that in recent years the Roman communion has published a new Catholic catechism, which unequivocally reaffirms the doctrines of the Council of Trent, including Trent’s definition of the doctrine of justification (and thus affirms that council’s anathemas against the Reformation doctrine of justification by faith alone). Along with the reaffirmations of Trent have come a clear reaffirmation of the Roman doctrine of purgatory, indulgences, and the treasury of merits.
At a discussion among leading theologians over the issue of the continued relevance of the doctrine of justification by faith alone, Michael Horton asked the question: “What is it in the last decades that has made the first-century gospel unimportant?” The dispute over justification was not over a technical point of theology that could be consigned to the fringes of the depository of biblical truth. Nor could it be seen simply as a tempest in a teapot. This tempest extended far beyond the tiny volume of a single teacup. The question, “what must I do to be saved?” is still a critical question for any person who is exposed to the wrath of God.
Even more critical than the question is the answer, because the answer touches the very heart of gospel truth. In the final analysis, the Roman Catholic Church affirmed at Trent and continues to affirm now that the basis by which God will declare a person just or unjust is found in one’s “inherent righteousness.” If righteousness does not inhere in the person, that person at worst goes to hell and at best (if any impurities remain in his life) goes to purgatory for a time that may extend to millions of years. In bold contrast to that, the biblical and Protestant view of justification is that the sole grounds of our justification is the righteousness of Christ, which righteousness is imputed to the believer, so that the moment a person has authentic faith in Christ, all that is necessary for salvation becomes theirs by virtue of the imputation of Christ’s righteousness. The fundamental issue is this: is the basis by which I am justified a righteousness that is my own? Or is it a righteousness that is, as Luther said, “an alien righteousness,” a righteousness that is extra nos, apart from us — the righteousness of another, namely, the righteousness of Christ? From the sixteenth century to the present, Rome has always taught that justification is based upon faith, on Christ, and on grace. The difference, however, is that Rome continues to deny that justification is based on Christ alone, received by faith alone, and given by grace alone. The difference between these two positions is the difference between salvation and its opposite. There is no greater issue facing a person who is alienated from a righteous God.
At the moment the Roman Catholic Church condemned the biblical doctrine of justification by faith alone, she denied the gospel and ceased to be a legitimate church, regardless of all the rest of her affirmations of Christian orthodoxy. To embrace her as an authentic church while she continues to repudiate the biblical doctrine of salvation is a fatal attribution. We’re living in a time where theological conflict is considered politically incorrect, but to declare peace when there is no peace is to betray the heart and soul of the gospel.

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the sixteenth century to the present, Rome has always taught that justification is based upon faith, on Christ, and on grace. The difference, however, is that Rome continues to deny that justification is based on Christ alone, received by faith alone, and given by grace alone. The difference between these two positions is the difference between salvation and its opposite. There is no greater issue facing a person who is alienated from a righteous God. At the moment the Roman Catholic Church condemned the biblical doctrine of justification by faith alone, she denied the gospel and ceased to be a legitimate church, regardless of all the rest of her affirmations of Christian orthodoxy. To embrace her as an authentic church while she continues to repudiate the biblical doctrine of salvation is a fatal attribution. We’re living in a time where theological conflict is considered politically incorrect, but to declare peace when there is no peace is to betray the heart and soul of the gospel.
Key to the whole matter! BTW, can we get a link or reference to the Sproul article above? AMR

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Gospel is and always has been justification by grace alone through faith alone because of Christ alone.

You are so correct...my question is this...why is the evangelical church in such a world of hurt now a days? Is it because of politcal-correctness in attitudes? Is it due to fear of conflict such as the article I posted suggest? Is there a prevelant sense that "evangelical" as we know it is a dead concept? Is it due to the fact suggested in the article that the spirit of what the Reformation was all about gone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's the natural progression of an overreaction against what many fervent Christians considered to be a "religion of formality." Here's the deal, and this touches on what Rhamiel was asking but not fully (I'm not ignoring you...I've been crazy busy and will respond shortly...but this response at least allows me to hint at your post)...many "evangelicals" don't know what the "evangel" is and what the reformation was all about. They seem to think it was a rebellion against ritualism! As if Catholics are insincere merely because they are highly liturgical and formalized!

With the rise of revivalism in America, and this is a fascinating topic, folks like Charles Finney and Billy Sunday (and many others) turned Christianity from an anouncement of God's wrath, grace and gospel to a religion of the will. The focus became how you're living and are you sincere, not on the objective work of Christ. Without this foundation, Christians don't know what they believe and why they believe it. This also developed into a mystical privatization of faith, such that you have "Christians" nowadays who see no need to belong to the structured church!

I think this world of hurt, as you put it, is a logical progression of a trajectory that began over 100 years ago. These same evangelicals would probably put Presbyterians, Lutherans and Catholics in the same bucket because they all baptize babies and follow an orderly liturgy. This collective ignorance leads to an avoidance of conflict, not so much out of fear I don't think, but out of not being able to discern what God's truth is and what we should or should not be fighting for.

AS A DISCLAIMER...this does not in any way describe all evangelicals, there are many well-balanced and discerning people, and scholars, in the evangelical church. I am painting with a broad brush and describing a general trend in the church today.

Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are so correct...my question is this...why is the evangelical church in such a world of hurt now a days? Is it because of politcal-correctness in attitudes? Is it due to fear of conflict such as the article I posted suggest? Is there a prevelant sense that "evangelical" as we know it is a dead concept? Is it due to the fact suggested in the article that the spirit of what the Reformation was all about gone?
I think you've hit the nail on the head. How can true Protestants hope to rightly express what we're for, if we're not equally clear about what we're against?

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you've hit the nail on the head. How can true Protestants hope to rightly express what we're for, if we're not equally clear about what we're against?

Exactly! Well put...I'll add more on this later tonight...we have a fellowship picnic at church this afternoon. I LOVE BBQ! ;)

The premise in the question you posed is a very big issue in the evangelical body today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you have a point, make it, versus "kick{ing} against the pricks" (Acts 9:5).

AMR
sorry if i was being uncharitable in my wording, but it seemed like the poster was refering to Arminian Protestants as "not true protestants" and that is a mistake, you might think that they are wrong, I think they are wrong, but they are a substantial branch of Protestantism

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
sorry if i was being uncharitable in my wording, but it seemed like the poster was refering to Arminian Protestants as "not true protestants" and that is a mistake, you might think that they are wrong, I think they are wrong, but they are a substantial branch of Protestantism
If you limit considerations to Anthropology (theologically speaking), then you would find Arminians closer to Aquinus and Rome than Protestantism.

Of course all groups have inconsistencies to deal with (it's the nature of fallen man to be inconsistent).

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you limit considerations to Anthropology (theologically speaking), then you would find Arminians closer to Aquinus and Rome than Protestantism.

Of course all groups have inconsistencies to deal with (it's the nature of fallen man to be inconsistent).
how can they be closer to rome then to Protestantism when they are Protestants
that is like saying Arizona is closer to Italy than America
it is creating false seperation, now you could say that Arminians are closer to Rome than Calvinism, and that would be something that could be argued, I could not argue one way or the other because this is not my home forum and i can not argue faith here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
how can they be closer to rome then to Protestantism when they are Protestants
that is like saying Arizona is closer to Italy than America
it is creating false seperation, now you could say that Arminians are closer to Rome than Calvinism, and that would be something that could be argued, I could not argue one way or the other because this is not my home forum and i can not argue faith here

I see your point here...but I must ask...what do you think of what the Reformation was all about? As a Roman Catholic from birth to the age of 26(I'm almost 40 now) I never have thought of the RCC as evangelical in the sense that the OP article is referring too. Maybe that's just me.
Thoughts?

Thanks for listening.
:)

Upvote 0