Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
St Nicholas
  • Celebrated on December 6th
st_nicholas.jpg

Patron of children, sailors, unmarried women, merchants, pawnbrokers, apothecaries and perfumers.

Although he is one of the most popular saints in the East and West, very little is known about the life of this 4th century bishop. His diocese of Myra was in south east Turkey.

According to legend, he gave three bags of gold to three girls who couldn't marry, because they didn't have dowries. This is said to be the basis of the three gold balls on the pawnbroker's sign.

The number three crops up very often in St Nicholas' life. He is said to have raised three young boys to life after they had been murdered. He defended and saved three men unjustly accused of a crime, and he rescued three sailors from drowning.

From his shrine at Bari there was said to have come a wonderful scent. In England about 400 churches are dedicated to St Nicholas, and many windows and frescoes are dedicated to him. Across Europe there are hundreds more dedications.

The most popular result of the cult of St Nicholas is the institution of Santa Claus or Father Christmas. There were many stories of his kindness to children, and in the Low Countries the custom grew of giving children presents on this day. The custom is still very popular in Holland, Scandinavia and many Slavic countries.

Santa Claus reached his current status in North America where the Dutch Protestants in New Amsterdam united the legend to Nordic folktales of a magician who punished naughty children and rewarded good ones.

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For mysterious reasons the Dutch celebrate Sinterklaas (St Nicholas) on December 5 by dressing as him (and his helpers) and giving gifts. Not sure why it's the 5th rather than the 6th.
They don't even get the day off school or work!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The reason behind the "santa" we know here in the US is to sell Coca Cola products. Before this 1931 magazine ad, the "jolly old elf" was dressed in green and brown.

magazine-ad-1931-604bb-604-337-bffbd97c.rendition.598.336.jpg

The True History of the Modern Day Santa Claus

What is really amusing is to see a Pepsi ad with a Red and White santa.

272094_1_x.jpg

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh!
A fragment of bone claimed to be from St Nicholas - the 4th-Century saintly inspiration for Father Christmas - has been radio carbon tested by the University of Oxford.

The test has found that the relic does date from the time of St Nicholas, who is believed to have died about 343AD.

While not providing proof that this is from the saint, it has been confirmed as authentically from that era.

The Oxford team says these are the first tests carried out on the bones.

Relics of St Nicholas, who died in modern-day Turkey, have been kept in the crypt of a church in Bari in Italy since the 11th Century.
'Santa's bone' proved to be correct age

• Informative
Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I still maintain that if Martin Luther hadn't thrown out the veneration of Saints then there would be no need for Santa Claus or Father Christmas. I mean, protestant mom and dads like giving presents to their children just as much as Catholic moms and dads, but once you've removed the tradition of giving gifts on the Feast of St. Nicholas, you're going to have to find a substitute. In the case of Martin Luther, he invented Kris Kringle. King Henry the VIII gave us Father Christmas based on the Roman god, Saturnalia and the modern image we have of Santa Claus came from an anti-Catholic American cartoonist named Thomas Nast.

So, we can see the perils we run when we disregard Holy Tradition. A counterfeit will always be presented in lieu of the authentic product. In this case we got Santa Claus in the place of St. Nicholas. It's not that Santa Claus is that bad, it's just that St. Nicholas is a lot better.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still maintain that if Martin Luther hadn't thrown out the veneration of Saints then there would be no need for Santa Claus or Father Christmas. I mean, protestant mom and dads like giving presents to their children just as much as Catholic moms and dads, but once you've removed the tradition of giving gifts on the Feast of St. Nicholas, you're going to have to find a substitute. In the case of Martin Luther, he invented Kris Kringle. King Henry the VIII gave us Father Christmas based on the Roman god, Saturnalia and the modern image we have of Santa Claus came from an anti-Catholic American cartoonist named Thomas Nast.

So, we can see the perils we run when we disregard Holy Tradition. A counterfeit will always be presented in lieu of the authentic product. In this case we got Santa Claus in the place of St. Nicholas. It's not that Santa Claus is that bad, it's just that St. Nicholas is a lot better.

While we are on the subject of Santa Claus, I will never understand why some Christian parents flat out lie to their impressionable young children by telling their children that Santa Claus is a real person. I mean, by doing so, these parents attribute god-like powers to this fictional character, such as knowing when children are awake or sleeping or being naughty or nice. I'm astonished at the kind of excuses I've heard some of these parents make up trying to justify telling their children this lie, but these parents seem unperturbed that they are purposely lying to their children. And it isn't just Santa Claus either, it's also the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Pretending with your children that these fictional characters exist is one thing, but making the absurd claim that these fictional characters definitely exist and then teaching your children to believe in them without question is quite another.

I know my husband and I aren't the only parents who are bothered by this, which is why we never told our children that Santa Claus is real and that he will bring them special gifts on Christmas Eve by obviously breaking into our home some time during that night. I guess I will never understand why some Christian parents willingly participate in such deception with their own children. It's not my intent to derail Colin's thread, but I saw a chance to rant about Santa Claus and I took it.

And while I'm at it, I just found out the other day that the church my husband and children regularly attend (I attend on occasion) will include Santa Claus this year in the church's annual neighborhood outreach program. My initial thought was, "What a terrible Christian witness to perpetuate a lie."

Last edited:
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While we are on the subject of Santa Claus, I will never understand why some Christian parents flat out lie to their impressionable young children by telling their children that Santa Claus is a real person. I mean, by doing so, these parents attribute god-like powers to this fictional character, such as knowing when children are awake or sleeping or being naughty or nice. I'm astonished at the kind of excuses I've heard some of these parents make up trying to justify telling their children this lie, but these parents seem unperturbed that they are purposely lying to their children. And it isn't just Santa Claus either, it's also the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Pretending with your children that these fictional characters exist is one thing, but making the absurd claim that these fictional characters definitely exist and then teaching your children to believe in them without question is quite another.

I know my husband and I aren't the only parents who are bothered by this, which is why we never told our children that Santa Claus is real and that he will bring them special gifts on Christmas Eve by obviously breaking into our home some time during that night. I guess I will never understand why some Christian parents willingly participate in such deception with their own children. It's not my intent to derail Colin's thread, but I saw a chance to rant about Santa Claus and I took it.

And while I'm at it, I just found out the other day that the church my husband and children regularly attend (I attend on occasion) will include Santa Claus this year in the church's annual neighborhood outreach program. My initial thought was, "What a terrible Christian witness to perpetuate a lie."

A substitute counterfeit is what you'll get when dispose of Sacred Tradition.

Don't like the veneration of the Saints? Here comes Santa Claus!

It goes on and on.

Don't like the priesthood? Here's a praise band and a worship leader!

Don't like confession? How about an accountability partner!

The sanctuary is now a stage!

And on and on.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Santa Claus and St. Nicholas

Everybody loves Santa Claus. He embodies holiday cheer, happiness, fun, and gifts—warm happy aspects of the Christmas season. How do Santa Claus and St. Nicholas differ?

Santa Claus belongs to childhood;
St. Nicholas models for all of life.

Santa Claus, as we know him, developed to boost Christmas sales—the commercial Christmas message;
St. Nicholas told the story of Christ and peace, goodwill toward all—the hope-filled Christmas message.

Santa Claus encourages consumption;
St. Nicholas encourages compassion.

Santa Claus appears each year to be seen and heard for a short time;
St. Nicholas is part of the communion of saints, surrounding us always with prayer and example.

Santa Claus flies through the air—from the North Pole;
St. Nicholas walked the earth—caring for those in need.

Santa Claus, for some, replaces the Babe of Bethlehem;
St. Nicholas, for all, points to the Babe of Bethlehem.

Santa Claus isn't bad;
St. Nicholas is just better.

J. Rosenthal & C. Myers

St. Nicholas Center ::: Compare Santa & St. Nicholas

• Informative
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
While we are on the subject of Santa Claus, I will never understand why some Christian parents flat out lie to their impressionable young children by telling their children that Santa Claus is a real person.

I remember being upset and annoyed when my parents told me that Father Christmas is not a real person after they had told me that he was .

I wonder what seeds of doubt are being sown in children's minds .

Is God some Father Christmas figure up there somewhere ?

Does this God I was taught exists really exist ?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember being upset and annoyed when my parents told me that Father Christmas is not a real person after they had told me that he was .

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was also lied to about Santa Claus when I was a child and I remember how much it bothered me that my parents would lie to me like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For mysterious reasons the Dutch celebrate Sinterklaas (St Nicholas) on December 5 by dressing as him (and his helpers) and giving gifts. Not sure why it's the 5th rather than the 6th.
They don't even get the day off school or work!

In part of the Netherlands it's the morning of the 6th, and in parts it's the night of the 5th (Sinterklaas Eve).

Sinterklaas is dressed as a bishop (because, of course, he was a bishop) and rides a white horse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I wonder if that's why I and others have had our first crisis of faith at around age 8 or 9.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny thing, though, although I recognize the issues with Santa Claus, as a parent I found myself conflicted. That's the way of things being a parent, I guess...i had a lot of great ideas before they were born, organic food, no tv, no Santa, etc...i was even shocked when I stopped into a fast food place to use the restroom when I was pregant with my irst son and saw a mom feeding a 9 month old French fries...that won't be me, I thought...well...hopefully I got a good part of the critical parenting stuff mostly right.

Upvote 0