Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the greatest horror movies of all time is based on true events. That thought should give everyone a moment's pause.

The Exorcist, both William Peter Blatty's 1971 novel and William Friedkin's 1973 movie, came a time in our history when people had stopped believing in the existence of the devil. A great time for the devil, a scary time for us.

Have you ever wondered how much is Hollywood and how much is real?

Spoiler ... It's a lot more reality than Hollywood.

Here's the true story behind The Exorcist, taken from the notes of the exorcists priests, the eyewitnesses, the neighbors, friends, classmates, and the newspapers.
You will find that truth is much stranger than fiction ...

This is a chapter in a larger book I wrote on the subject: True Catholic Exorcisms. Now, also an audiobook, narrated by BBC-veteran Alan Turton.

First off, it wasn't a little girl -- no Linda Blair. It was a little boy that was possessed.

Also, before diving into this, it's a good idea to pray the St. Michael prayer for protection:

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
One of the greatest horror movies of all time is based on true events. That thought should give everyone a moment's pause.

The Exorcist, both William Peter Blatty's 1971 novel and William Friedkin's 1973 movie, came a time in our history when people had stopped believing in the existence of the devil. A great time for the devil, a scary time for us.

Have you ever wondered how much is Hollywood and how much is real?

Spoiler ... It's a lot more reality than Hollywood.

Here's the true story behind The Exorcist, taken from the notes of the exorcists priests, the eyewitnesses, the neighbors, friends, classmates, and the newspapers.
You will find that truth is much stranger than fiction ...

This is a chapter in a larger book I wrote on the subject: True Catholic Exorcisms. Now, also an audiobook, narrated by BBC-veteran Alan Turton.

First off, it wasn't a little girl -- no Linda Blair. It was a little boy that was possessed.

Also, before diving into this, it's a good idea to pray the St. Michael prayer for protection:

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."

Continued below.
I never understood why the movie centered around Georgetown when I was told by a priest of St. Francis Xavier church in St. Louis that the exorcisms happened in the parish offices in St. Louis. Now I get it. The family moved to St. Louis and the exorcisms continued in the St. Louis area until they finally succeeded. My wife and I had our marriage preparation, inadequate as THAT was, in the same parish offices. But a few decades later.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0