U.S
✟23,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really like this statement from the declaration of independence of the US.

My question is- is it wrong to pursue happiness as a christian?

If you are happy (and christian) how do YOU attain it?

I'm always sad (and going through hard times) and I do take medication for it plus therapy.

How as a christian can you attain happiness and is that even ok?

The true gospel promises hardship- all those who desire to live godly WILL be persecuted.

So i feel guilty for trying to be happy. And fail when I think I have happiness.

JerushaC

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
✟9,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Happiness is thrown around quite a bit. Some people think they can buy it, some think it comes from marriage or a car. But I think the only true happiness can be given from God only. Notice how people who seem like they have everything seem sad and feel like they are missing something? It's because they are living for themselves and they are missing God. Where do you look to for your happiness?

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
happiness is an emotion that comes and goes. Joy is based on our standing with God, and that never changes. It's hard to do but keeping focused on the eternal helps level out the inevitable ups and downs of this world.

Phillipians 4.8

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is not much real happiness in this fallen world. Strive for eternal salvation instead. You'd be happier if you forget about happiness.

"I cannot guarantee you happiness in this world, but in the next." - Mother Mary to Bernadette Soubirous

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: football5680
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear well hey. God is Love, and God Loves us and wants our happiness. In Matthew 22-35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40, we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 7: 7-10 tells us: ask and receive, we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
The Bible tells us: "Repent and be Born Again, give up our selfish wishes and wants, and start loving and caring, be kind and compassionate. Jesus died that we might live, Love is very
strong and turn us into the boys and girls which God wants to have. To love is our future, and Jesus will lead us back to God.
Try and see for yourself. I say this with love, well hey. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Striving for happiness is not necessarily a spiritually healthy goal, depending on what that means to you. Rather God will grant you enjoyable things and joy through knowing him better and better. God does not guarantee his followers happiness in this life, but for those who persist in their devotion to him he does guarantee joy in Him.

Peter writes this right after discussing how suffering produces faith in God (of greater worth than gold):

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, (bold mine, 1 Peter 1:8, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
As Christians, we like pointing out the important distinction between happiness and joy. Happiness is a temporary emotion that is based upon your current circumstances. Joy is deeper, rooted in the Truth of Christ and the promises of a future with Him on a restored earth with perfect bodies.

With that distinction made, I think it's obvious that we are not always going to be happy. But does God want you to be happy? Sure, why wouldn't he? Are you a parent? If so, do you not want your child to be happy? But as a parent, there are times in which our child's happiness is not our primary concern. There are times where it is more important that my child obey me than he be happy.

God's first and foremost concern is His glory. But He does love you, and I'm sure it brings Him joy to see you happy, even if it is not His primary concern.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
To me the joy of the Lord is my strength and the Beatitudes or happy as some translations have it speak to me.
I'm also a very positive person to I see the good in things.
I would have to change how I viewed the world if I was persecuted. Have never really faced that, so not sure how God would lead me to handle it. Don't suspect I'll have God's grace for that till it does happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Shempster.There is only one way to true happiness, and Jesus told us in Matthew 22: 35-40: " The first and great Commandment is Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." Verse 40 tells us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
The Bible tells us " Repent and be Born Again." Shed all selfish wishes and wants, start loving and caring and be always thoughtful of all you know and meet. God sees our loving and kind treatment of others, and God will Bless us. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY, also Love is very catching, and soon we will change into the men and women, which God wants us to be: loving and caring and always kind. Why not try God`s Way and be the men and women which God wants us to be. I say this with love, Shempster. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0