The price on a pack of cigarettes has skyrocketed to $14.50 at some New York City

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Outlawing cigarettes would make America a nanny state?

Yes. As does excessive taxation.

Just throwing this out there, but are you perhaps in favor of legalizing weed? You seem like someone who would espouse that cessation of nanny-statism while espousing tobacco prohibition. I'm probably wrong though. ;)

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Outlawing cigarettes would make America a nanny state?

Yes, because we can't necessarily criminalize things just because they're bad for you. If we outlawed everything that could become a deadly vice we'd have to outlaw alcohol, unhealthy foods, modeling glue, cans of compressed air, Magic Markers, gasoline (basically anything that could be huffed), prescription pain relievers.

Reactions: Avatar
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yes. As does excessive taxation.

Just throwing this out there, but are you perhaps in favor of legalizing weed? You seem like someone who would espouse that cessation of nanny-statism while espousing tobacco prohibition. I'm probably wrong though. ;)
Weed is already outlawed, so I guess America is already nanny state regardless of what they do with cigarettes. Same with crack, crank, meth, coke, and other drugs. Our Home Depot's do an ID checks when people buy contact cement and spray paint.

Nanny nanny boo boo....

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most stores also limit the purchase of cold medications and check ID because they are frequently used to make meth. And marijuana, just like suicide, should not be illegal. But, here again, that's a whole other issue altogether.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Most stores also limit the purchase of cold medications and check ID because they are frequently used to make meth. And marijuana, just like suicide, should not be illegal. But, here again, that's a whole other issue altogether.

nanny state....

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Weed is already outlawed, so I guess America is already nanny state regardless of what they do with cigarettes. Same with crack, crank, meth, coke, and other drugs. Our Home Depot's do an ID checks when people buy contact cement and spray paint.

Nanny nanny boo boo....

I was asking what your opinion is on the legalization of marijuana. Why the dodge?

Upvote 0

TheAnimal

Human Highlight Reel
Jun 30, 2010
✟15,214.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well that's a lot of tax dollars straight into the government coffers. So non-smokers must be over the moon about this. If it encourages people to stop smoking then it can't be a bad thing as it will lengthen life expectancies and place less burden on your healthcare system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Because it is irrelevant. If America would become a nanny state for outlawing cigarettes, then America is already a nanny state for outlawing weed.

So that's a yes then. You will not answer because you know you'll destroy your own position on tobacco with the truth, yet aren't willing to lie. I can (sort of) respect that.

Upvote 0

TheAnimal

Human Highlight Reel
Jun 30, 2010
✟15,214.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Because it is irrelevant. If America would become a nanny state for outlawing cigarettes, then America is already a nanny state for outlawing weed.

Not really. Prolonged use of Cannabis can leave the user with severe psychotic illnesses, as well as carrying many of the dangers associated with tobacco smoking. It's not a regulated substance so you have no idea what strength you;re getting from one batch to the next.

Anabolic steroids would be a better argument as at least they are produced in labs, and used in medical and veterinary professions, additionally although they can have physical side effects the psychological effect long term is negligible. They should be legalised far ahead of weed.

This is the same in the UK Anabolic Steroids are legal for possession whereas Cannabis is Class B. It makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, because we can't necessarily criminalize things just because they're bad for you. If we outlawed everything that could become a deadly vice we'd have to outlaw alcohol, unhealthy foods, modeling glue, cans of compressed air, Magic Markers, gasoline (basically anything that could be huffed), prescription pain relievers.
What the nanny state needs more than anything else (perhaps with the exception of an entire class of people begging to be babied) is cash. Which explains why they tax rather than ban the substance.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What the nanny state needs more than anything else (perhaps with the exception of an entire class of people begging to be babied) is cash. Which explains why they tax rather than ban the substance.

That's true, although I can't figure out why they won't legalize recreational marijuana under the same premise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, the study says that children raised within three generations of alcohol or drug abuse AND heavy smoking are more likely to have behavioral problems and that smoking alone was not a factor in children with such issues. All the article proves is what we already know - that if you leave packs of cigarettes within a teenager's reach and you're not looking, they're likely to take a puff at some point.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm 8 and 0 with children without serious problems. A link won't change my mind.

Hang on for a couple of minutes, I'm on dial-up, gotta upload something I want to show you. :)
Dial up!!?? You mean you Canadians finally abandoned the tin cans and string method. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I am starting to think that all you people smoke....

lol

There is nothing more lively than a smoker when they are being picked on. A few years ago they outlawed smoking in all bars, restaurants and public places in my state. The smokers became unhinged......It would have been funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Upvote 0