Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I have realized why I disagree with Leighton Flowers so strongly.

He seems to reject the doctrine of prevenient grace while holding too weak a view of God's sovereignty.

I need to learn more about Molinism as a middle ground between God's sovereignty and human free will.

My intent has not been to convince others that Calvinism is true, but only that they should be more tolerant of Calvinists, especially since some of history's greatest missionaries and evangelists have been Calvinists.

Calvinism is just a framework for understanding the text of scripture, and I've never claimed that it's required for salvation. I am just as offended by anti-Calvinists as I am by young earth creationists who attack Hugh Ross for not believing that the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

Just as the Bible doesn't specifically endorse either old earth or young earth creationism, it doesn't specifically endorse either Calvinism or anti-Calvinism. I just wish there were more tolerance for points of view that aren't required for salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I need to learn more about Molinism as a middle ground between God's sovereignty and human free will.
I hope you don't go for it. To me, there is no need for the middle ground. Human FREE will, i.e. uncaused choice, is simply illogical, depending either on mere chance or what we all despise —the notion that some of us are inherently better people. But Reformed Theology does hold to real choice, people choosing according to their will.

Thus no need for middle ground.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I hope you don't go for it. To me, there is no need for the middle ground. Human FREE will, i.e. uncaused choice, is simply illogical, depending either on mere chance or what we all despise —the notion that some of us are inherently better people. But Reformed Theology does hold to real choice, people choosing according to their will.

Thus no need for middle ground.

The main disagreement that Arminians and Molinists have with Calvinism is whether or not God's grace is irresistible. While Calvinists insist that God's enabling grace is given only to the elect, without the possibility of rejecting it, Molinists and Arminians believe that God's enabling grace is given to all people equally, with the possibility of rejecting it.

Based on reading the Bible, after praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am no longer a Calvinist:

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
John Calvin: Not a Calvinist
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
My intent on this forum has not been to convince others that Calvinism is true, but only that they should be more tolerant of Calvinists, especially since some of history's greatest missionaries and evangelists have been Calvinists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We shouldn’t dwell on why God “send some” people to hell but instead dwell on why He has decided to save some people. God has the right to make some for honorable use and others for common use, and we have no right in questioning His decision (Romans 9:14-24).

How then would you explain this:

Eze 33:11 Tell them that as surely as I am the living LORD God, I don't like to see wicked people die. I enjoy seeing them turn from their sins and live. So if the Israelites want to live, they must stop sinning and turn back to me.

It shows me the choice is man's, not God's.

This is not true, since God knows everything that is going on. God sometimes uses anthropopathism to explain something, so humans can understand it better, but they don’t always give a perfect picture without comparing it to other verses. 1 John 3:30, Isaiah 46:9-10, Psalm 139:4, 1 Kings 8:39, and Acts 1:24 are some verses that tells us God knows all things.

Not true. That verse in genesis is quite clear. God did not know that man would respond in such a negative way. He could only say "He regretted", if it was not his plan.

As far as I am concerned Calvinism is a devil, as I said shrouding the goodness of God in lies, keeping people from the love of God.

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟35,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How then would you explain this:

Eze 33:11 Tell them that as surely as I am the living LORD God, I don't like to see wicked people die. I enjoy seeing them turn from their sins and live. So if the Israelites want to live, they must stop sinning and turn back to me.

It shows me the choice is man's, not God's.

I don't believe God takes pleasure in people going to hell.

Not true. That verse in genesis is quite clear. God did not know that man would respond in such a negative way. He could only say "He regretted", if it was not his plan.

As far as I am concerned Calvinism is a devil, as I said shrouding the goodness of God in lies, keeping people from the love of God.

God doesn't regret like we does. When God talked about "regretting" something in the Bible, it's based off of using terms humans are more familiar with, so we can get a better understanding of what He's communicating with us.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
OK let's go to 2,

2. Calvinism helps calm our anxieties. The Bible teaches that God works “all things after the counsel of His will” (Ephesians 1:11) and “all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

So they claim it gives them peace. Keep in mind so does 2 Tim 4:3 where it talks about, "For the time will come when they will not endure the sound doctrine; but, having itching ears, will heap to themselves teachers after their own lusts" So they can hear teachers that tell them what they want to hear because it might appeal to their flesh so therefore they claim they have more peace?
Maybe sometimes it's a false peace though? Maybe it's a type of peace that God never intended them to have?

I've seen one Calvinist even say they're not concerned because they might be walking in willful carnality because God will straighten that all out in time. God is taking care of all my decisions anyway. So what if they happened to die while living in continual unrepentant sin? They actually believed it wasn't their job to work with God cooperating with him to overcome....God will take care of all that they said. And they said that's why they liked Calvinism. It made them feel peace. Or was it rather just a false doctrinal teaching that appealed to their flesh and never made them feel accountable.

Upvote 0