Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
That's interesting Seebs. I've always wondered why I had to pledge allegiance to the republic AND the flag. :confused:

I'm also disturbed by putting my hand over my heart when I say it. Most people tell me it's mandatory, but honestly, it freaks me out! It feels like I'm saying that America and its flag is in my heart, instead of Christ. :eek:

I'm beginning to feel like not saying it anymore. :help:

Upvote 0
Kinda makes me think of this verse:

Matthew 22:16-21
16They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
18But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, 20and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"
21"Caesar's," they replied.
Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
What does saying a pledge have to do with taxation? There is a fundamental difference: Money is a possession, and the Pledge is an oath. Jesus commanded us not to give oaths, esp. to inanimate objects and governmental institutions.

Furthermore, in America, there is Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion. There is no Freedom from Taxation. I owe Uncle Sam my taxes, not my words and worship.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Flags have always lead men into battle. If you are in the USA you don't need the flag as you would if you were in a hostile country in uniform.
The flag is saluted in proper military form by the military as they may follow this flag to death if they have too. The salute used by non-active duty people is the hand over your heart, it's an action that gives credit to the ones that did follow that flag to death. The oath is to the flag as a reminder that blood is required to keep freedom and to the republic because this is what we preserve. This is all from memory from my NCO leadership training many years ago. If I have it all wrong I will blame it on old age.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.