Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In one thread of this forum @2PhiloVoid and I discussed the value of a thread on historical method. As I thought about it, I decided such a thread would quickly become untenable because most of the unbelievers in this forum exclusively argue a superiority of science (or what they think is science) regardless of the topic, and, as a result, tend to argue that history is scientific.

Therefore, science is the elephant in the room, and probably the better place to start.

As it happens, when I was an undergrad in history my advisor's specialty was the history of science. Given I already had an M.S. in engineering, she encouraged me to focus on the history of science as well. Though, in the end, I didn't go that direction, I did do considerable reading in the area. A major work I would recommend is Philosophy of Science: The Central Issues, by Curd & Cover. I intend to roughly follow the format of their book - as much as the fractal nature of Internet discussion will allow.

To that end, the first question tackled in that book is: What is science?

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI RC,

I could just google it and copy and paste some dictionary definition, but I choose to try and formulate what I believe science to be. So, in keeping with that postulate, here's my understanding:

Science is the body of knowledge gathered from observance of actions.. In the study and seeking of scientific data, one can offer theoretical possibilities that, if they can be proven by repeated testing, can become true scientific data. The single caveat that I hold for science is that it cannot prove miracles. By definition a miracle is something that is outside of the scope of natural explanation.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is the philosophy that nature is observable and can be documented and that what we observe is following "natural laws" that allow for our observations to be repeatable and we can document our observations and others can follow our procedures and if followed, they will see the same results that we did, so they can draw their own conclusions.

Science-Flow-Chart.jpg

The real process of science

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In one thread of this forum @2PhiloVoid and I discussed the value of a thread on historical method. As I thought about it, I decided such a thread would quickly become untenable because most of the unbelievers in this forum exclusively argue a superiority of science (or what they think is science) regardless of the topic, and, as a result, tend to argue that history is scientific.

Therefore, science is the elephant in the room, and probably the better place to start.

As it happens, when I was an undergrad in history my advisor's specialty was the history of science. Given I already had an M.S. in engineering, she encouraged me to focus on the history of science as well. Though, in the end, I didn't go that direction, I did do considerable reading in the area. A major work I would recommend is Philosophy of Science: The Central Issues, by Curd & Cover. I intend to roughly follow the format of their book - as much as the fractal nature of Internet discussion will allow.

Why is science "the elephant in the room"?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

History is not science. History is mans written record of events.
There is no such phrase as "Scientific History".

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Uber Genius
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is the philosophy that nature is observable and can be documented and that what we observe is following "natural laws" that allow for our observations to be repeatable and we can document our observations and others can follow our procedures and if followed, they will see the same results that we did, so they can draw their own conclusions.
The issue I have with this is the question of what status is granted to what we know about things like the Big Bang or evolution - things that are not repeatable, or, at best, only partially repeatable. In short, I believe the Big Bang and evolution theories are very well-supported by evidence and should be granted the credibility that we assign to other scientific theories.

If you pay attention here, you will see people trying to discredit these two theories by dismissing them as "non-scientific" because they are not repeatable. I think that is a bit of a cheat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why is science "the elephant in the room"?

Because many unbelievers claim science is the only way of knowing. Then, when addressing something like history they face a conundrum. If science is the only way of knowing, then either history must be scientific or history must be dismissed.

Science is the body of knowledge gathered from observance of actions.. In the study and seeking of scientific data, one can offer theoretical possibilities that, if they can be proven by repeated testing, can become true scientific data. The single caveat that I hold for science is that it cannot prove miracles. By definition a miracle is something that is outside of the scope of natural explanation.

That's an OK description. I don't think science is the only way of knowing, and further think many human and spiritual matters are outside the bounds of science. So, I would agree with you on that.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Observation, drawing conclusions from those observations, documenting them, and doing so in a way that others can repeat … those are all crucial elements of science.

The issue I have with this is the question of what status is granted to what we know about things like the Big Bang or evolution - things that are not repeatable, or, at best, only partially repeatable. In short, I believe the Big Bang and evolution theories are very well-supported by evidence and should be granted the credibility that we assign to other scientific theories.

If you pay attention here, you will see people trying to discredit these two theories by dismissing them as "non-scientific" because they are not repeatable. I think that is a bit of a cheat.

Science is admittedly fuzzy around the edges. But it's extremely dangerous to concede the issue of repeatability. I don't think that's wise, and it's something people are much too prone to do. There is too much of a tendency to think that if we like an idea, it must be scientific and we have to find a way to shoehorn it in.

With that said, the reason the Big Bang and Evolution can defend themselves as science is because - though the actual events studied are not repeatable - the data measured from the aftermath of those events can be repeatedly measured, which opens the possibility of complementary lab experiments. If everyone agrees measurement of the events was done properly, and everyone agrees a lab experiment compliments those measurements, it arguably qualifies as science … but don't take that to mean I'm defending the Big Bang or Evolution. I just don't like people who are willing to sacrifice sound reasoning to tear something down.

Finally, the simple possession of evidence does not constitute science. Legal and historical methods employ evidence, yet they are methods unto themselves.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
History is not science.

True, but there is such a thing as historical method … as there are also other methods - legal methods, etc.

In fact, it is now widely accepted that there is not one Scientific Method, but many scientific methods.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it just "figuring out how stuff works", for curiosity's sake or in order to create a useful technology?

That's fine as a colloquial understanding between friends. Unfortunately, when the battle lines are drawn, a bit more rigor is required. I'm not sure laymen fully understand the extreme rigor employed by professionals and the extreme care taken in meticulously phrasing their conclusions.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's fine as a colloquial understanding between friends. Unfortunately, when the battle lines are drawn, a bit more rigor is required. I'm not sure laymen fully understand the extreme rigor employed by professionals and the extreme care taken in meticulously phrasing their conclusions.
I think I'd be comfortable going into battle with my description, but what battles, and what professionals are you talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Science is the effort to understand how nature works.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great point. But the most confused about science are those who have swallowed the false idea science is against faith, which results in endless tilting at windmills.

They feel they have to defend...God. As if they could.

He defends us.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Observation, drawing conclusions from those observations, documenting them, and doing so in a way that others can repeat … those are all crucial elements of science.

.........ok....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Natural selection in action = I watched 15 little ducklings pared down to the two quickest ones in about 4 hours.

The Big Bang = total fabrication based on a large number of inferences. Very similar to Dark Matter theory.

Dark Matter SHOCK: Stephen Hawking was wrong

Everything we thought we knew about dark energy might be ...

Jan 6, 2020 - Startling new research suggests that dark energy might be nothing more than a simple measurement mistake.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think I'd be comfortable going into battle with my description, but what battles, and what professionals are you talking about?

Professionals - those trained in the methods of a particular discipline who then make that discipline their life's work. The battles come in many forms. There have been societal battles about science (e.g. Science Wars), national battles about science (e.g. Soviet Biology), inter-disciplinary battles about science (e.g. Elastic Constant Controversy), and personal battles about science (e.g. Newton vs. Hooke).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0