Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
doesn't Moses name him? or give any information about what year of his reign the events of the Exodus happened? Moses knew who he was (if indeed Moses wrote the Pentateuch.)

Later in the Tanakh, pharaoh's are named (e.g., Shishak/Shoshenk.)

No spiritual phantasmagoric explanations please. Is there some cultural/historical reason he did not?

Reminds me of folk tales in which the king is not named.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would naming him (writing to the people that just came out from under his rule) add to the story?

Remember that paper (papyrus actually) was rare and very expensive; so writing usually was as brief as possible.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Torah was written upon lambskin, not papyrus/paper. :)

I've wondered about this myself, did very indepth studies of Ancient Egypt, but I've come to the conclusion that G-d didn't want us
to know therefore he did not allow Moses to record it.

Now the name of Rameses is in there under the name of a city built.

You have to remember we don't have a schedule of when in the forty years they were wandering that the part about Egypt was recorded.

The three Pharaohs prior to Rameses died in quick succession.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
doesn't Moses name him? or give any information about what year of his reign the events of the Exodus happened? Moses knew who he was (if indeed Moses wrote the Pentateuch.)

Later in the Tanakh, pharaoh's are named (e.g., Shishak/Shoshenk.)

No spiritual phantasmagoric explanations please. Is there some cultural/historical reason he did not?

Reminds me of folk tales in which the king is not named.

I find it interesting that Exodus named the women, but not the pharaoh. Though I think what he said is historically accurate, he was not writing as a 21st century historian.

Upvote 0

Pentateuch and Yeshua

Nov 20, 2015
✟15,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You've seen what happens when people have named the two Nimrods (Nimrod being a title not name, too), Gilgamesh and Tammuz. They get wrapped up in studying paganism and conspiracy theories and figuring out deceptions and relating the pagan religion to everything (and what they find may well be true - but it's not ours to focus on, Torah is our focus) which kind of adapts into a form of obsession, religion, and idolatry in itself... We aren't supposed to focus on it otherwise it would be directly stated.

We can name the Pharoah (or potentially two Pharoahs) in the Exodus, who Moses was historically (appears to match up perfectly with Thutmosis II), who the Hebrew slaves were etc etc, and when we do (myself included, I got wrapped up in all of this once too) we begin to delve deeper and deeper into outside-of-scripture evidence to prove the Torah and believe that we can prove atheists wrong and prove that it all happens, and feel like we are meant to do that (you NEVER will convince anyone - it's in someone to follow, or it's not, the only way one can be guided is by your good example not by your knowledge), Torah and the Tanakh give us EXACTLY the amount of information we need - to go beyond that is akin to entering a form of gnosticism (not the religion specifically named Gnosticism, but the adjective gnostic, as in, believing more knowledge makes your observance of Torah/scripture superior), a path I walked for a short while myself and it did me no favours.

Scripture tells us our basic history, who our God is, who our ancestors are (if we are Israelite, and even if we aren't), what we are called to do, the law we abide by and who our enemies are - note how RARELY satan and demons are mentioned, and how rarely we are given specific details on the nephilim (in canonical scripture at least), the pagan religions and the evil tribes that needed to be wiped out, and later on, the seed of the serpent... We are given enough to be aware of them, not enough to end up getting wrapped up in them... The enemy knows that they are interesting subjects to us, and we yearn to know more, and we may believe that in knowing more we learn what to avoid, but that is a snare of the one who attacks through subtlety and guile.

Maybe you won't agree but our Creator wouldn't leave gaps in what we need to know, so we never need to truly go to a pagan or non-scriptural source in order to know that the Torah and Tanakh are true. That's my understanding, of course I will readily admit that a knowledge of history has helped me with my study no end, but too much, along with conspiracy theory and paganism has been actively detrimental.

Just my 2C, maybe you or others won't agree but it's food for thought.

Upvote 0