Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

2 Timothy 1:8-14 ESV

“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.”

All of us who believe in Jesus Christ are to be ministers of the gospel of Christ. We are all to proclaim (preach, herald, prophesy, speak forth) the excellencies of him who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light (1 Peter 2:9; Romans 1:7-8). And we are all to speak to one another for our encouragement, and so none of us will be led astray by false teaching and by sin’s deceitfulness (1 Corinthians 14:3-5; Ephesians 4:1-16; Ephesians 5:15-21; Colossians 3:12-17; Hebrews 3:13; Hebrews 10:23-25).

We are all to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth (Matthew 5:13-16). And we are to be those who are making disciples of Christ of people of all nations, teaching them to obey our Lord’s commands under the New Covenant (Matthew 28:18-20). And we are to be the Lord’s witnesses (Acts 1:8). And we should all be those who are opening the eyes of the spiritually blind and who are turning them from darkness to the light, and from the power of Satan to God, so they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 26:18).

We are not to be those who are ashamed of Jesus and of his words or he will be ashamed of us and he will deny us when he returns (Luke 9:26; 2 Timothy 2:12; Matthew 10:33). But we are to share in suffering for the gospel of Christ, and suffer we will if we are proclaiming the truth of the gospel and not the diluted and altered gospel message that is so popular today here in America. For the truth of the gospel is being rejected and so are its messengers, but we must remain true to the Scriptures.

And we are to follow the pattern of the sound words of Jesus Christ and of the NT apostles which teach that we must die with Christ to sin and live to him and to his righteousness if we are to have salvation from sin and eternal life with Jesus Christ, our Lord. For if sin is what we practice, and if righteousness, holiness, and obedience to our Lord are not what we practice, then we will not inherit eternal life with God. So we need to be telling people that, for many are believing that they don’t have to obey the Lord and that they can continue in deliberate and habitual sin and still go to heaven.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Caution: This link may contain ads

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.