Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This movie, probably one of the biggest Christian movies in history, I think hit theaters at the end of the 1990s.

I remember my family and I going to see it in theaters. As Christians we had to see what the hype was all about.

This was one of the few Christian movies that the media was actually going ape over and we wanted in on it too.

Have you ever seen it? I have, its very powerful. Mel Gibson's work: legendary.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jacqueline,

I would agree that Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ' is probably one of the best and, I believe, most accurate portrayals of the real suffering of our Lord. For the born again believer, it gives a real sense of the suffering and agony that Jesus endured for me, with the full knowledge that he didn't have to.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to the cinema (in my homeland) to watch it on Good Friday and learned that it is (or was then) illegal for the cinema to show films on Good Friday so that was a no go. Dancing in nightclubs and bars was also illegal on Good Friday and Sundays back then. So, I went back some other time and watched it alone (literally I was the only person there) and found it to be moving. I was so moved I decided to stop at a church and light a candle afterwards but the church was all locked up, lol.
It is a very graphic film but there isn't really a way to sugar-coat what Lord Jesus Christ went through so it is a powerful reminder of the truth. We have a celebrity, musical, televised version of The Passion of the Christ every year here but it is a little odd as the celebrities aren't necessarily Christians, it is modernised (last year Jesus wore an orange jumpsuit) and the celebrities are prone to forgetting the words.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah that part did have a lot of blood in it. :eek: Now that I remember it.

Hi JD,

Yes, there was a lot of blood. The question is whether or not that bloodiness was a true depiction of what the crucifixion would have been like? If it was, then the film delivered exactly what it was supposed to have been attempting to deliver. Living the day that our Lord was scourged and crucified.

According to many historians, it was likely a pretty true representation of what the event would likely have been like. If someone wants a version without all the blood, then just read the Scriptures. If, on the other hand, someone wants a visualization of the event, then see the movie.

I think that's what Mr. Gibson was attempting to chronicle in his movie: The last day of Jesus' life. What it would have been like to be one of the witnesses to the gruesome act of crucifixion on the day that our Lord was scourged and crucified.

For me, it was with many tears and wrenching of heart that I watched my friend and Lord treated in such a manner. But, it also gave me a much clearer idea of what the words in the Scriptures were trying to tell me about the event. A much clearer understanding of what the Scriptures are really saying when they merely say that Jesus suffered and died for our sin. So, for me, it was only too bloody if it was too bloody.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0