The parable of the vineyard workers (Matthew 20: 1–16)

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure we all remember this one that strikes us as unfair:

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

But I saw it differently lately...as a parable of new beginnings.

Every moment is an opportunity to start (over, again, a fresh). It doesn't matter that we have wasted our lives. It doesn't matter what we have bene doing.
And the happiness and blessings of the Kingdom cannot be diminished, divided, or portioned out. They are a fullness. So a conversion later in life receives the same eternal reward as an earlier one. For those of us who were called early, I have no temptation to "grumble", but rather to celebrate the the call of latecomers. In fact the real challenge is in helping others hear the call.
1696959344980.png

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure we all remember this one that strikes us as unfair:

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

But I saw it differently lately...as a parable of new beginnings.

Every moment is an opportunity to start (over, again, a fresh). It doesn't matter that we have wasted our lives. It doesn't matter what we have bene doing.
And the happiness and blessings of the Kingdom cannot be diminished, divided, or portioned out. They are a fullness. So a conversion later in life receives the same eternal reward as an earlier one. For those of us who were called early, I have no temptation to "grumble", but rather to celebrate the the call of latecomers. In fact the real challenge is in helping others hear the call.
View attachment 337531
Keeping in mind that Jesus makes it about the sovereignty of God in dealing with some in justice (the workers first hired) and others in mercy, about giving some more (in mercy) than he owes (in justice).

Upvote 0