The parable of the sower, a view I just had

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
The parable of the sower says that different soil means different outcomes for the the plant.

For the longest time I just felt,"Sow everywhere, and hope for the best."

But now I'm becoming more wise I think. I can look to the parable of the sower as to where I can best apply myself. I should try and sow in ground that is good for plant growth. This means if I have a choice in a mission, I should avoid a place where the cares of this world overtake the cares of the Kingdom. So maybe I should not put much effort into a Poker mission of telling people God is real. Maybe I should focus on a place that has less cares of this world. I'm not saying avoid missions you don't think will be fruitful. For while most seeds do not grow in rocky soil, sometimes you see a tree grow straight out of the rocks. It is more rare for a plant to grow and succeed in bad soil, but it does happen.

What I am saying is,"If I can honestly choose my mission path, I should choose it based on the soil."

This is just my first thoughts on this topic. I think it will be my next FatherSpiritSon.com article.

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I agree. It's not our place to judge people's hearts.Perhaps also where we think the greates harvest is to be found may not be where it's actually to be found. There's the story of Samual looking for God's chosen king and he misread the hearts of David's brothers. We should instead concentrate on being where God wants us and spreading the gospel to whoever will listen.

Another thought - if we start to question whether the soil in a particular place is good or not it might lead us to come to a conclusion that certain places are a waste of time to witness to. And nowhere and no-one is so far away that God's Grace can't bring them to Christ.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I agree. It's not our place to judge people's hearts.Perhaps also where we think the greates harvest is to be found may not be where it's actually to be found. There's the story of Samual looking for God's chosen king and he misread the hearts of David's brothers. We should instead concentrate on being where God wants us and spreading the gospel to whoever will listen.

Another thought - if we start to question whether the soil in a particular place is good or not it might lead us to come to a conclusion that certain places are a waste of time to witness to. And nowhere and no-one is so far away that God's Grace can't bring them to Christ.

this. The Bible says to preach the gospel to every creature. It does not say to judge their heart to see if they're open to the gospel and then preach.

thats not to say we need to become Bible thumpers, we still need to be sensitive to people, but there's no Biblical support for suggesting we need to discern someone else's heart or openness to the gospel. Its our job to preach, its the Holy Spirit's job to enlighten and draw souls to Himself.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The parable of the sower is not about evangelism.

It is about the Word of God being sown in our heart (spirit) and bearing fruit.

This.

As far as "choosing your soil", I would say it's rather a matter of choosing the method of cultivation. If someone wanders into your church and breaks down in tears during worship, you would minister to him in a much different fashion than you would to a tattooed ruffian whom you met by chance in a bar.

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This.

As far as "choosing your soil", I would say it's rather a matter of choosing the method of cultivation. If someone wanders into your church and breaks down in tears during worship, you would minister to him in a much different fashion than you would to a tattooed ruffian whom you met by chance in a bar.

That's a very good point :thumbsup:

Upvote 0