Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 13 explains the purpose of parables. If you knew the truth you wouldn't believe it anyway, so the truth has been hidden. Generally, they hide bad things.

Here, the first shall be last, and the last shall be first.

Why?

Shortly before the arrival of Jesus, the harvests (big wars) will come. These will take out the rich lands - the rich. The deaths will be unfavorable. The poor lands (the poor) will mostly survive.

It is the people from poor lands (the poor) who will enter the kingdom of heaven which Jesus will establish on Earth upon returning. In theory, people from rich lands could flee to the poor lands in order to avoid the harvests, but they won't.

Matthew 19:23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 19:24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that I get

Mostly, the challenge is the life after death scene
It's some of my friend's arguments regarding going to hell

You can't just interpret parables line by line. Just as Jesus did in the parable of the sower, we have to find a real world scenario that seems to match up with the concepts introduced in the parable.

The going to hell scene is not real. It merely explains the time before death after a harvest (big war - nuclear war) hits. We will have been exposed to a fatal dose of radiation. We are waiting to die. No one is available to care for us. We just want a drop of water to drink but can't get it. We can barely move because of the pain. After a few days (or more) we die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The key to understanding it is the conclusion Jesus drew from it. It isn't about going to heaven or hell when we die.

Luke 16: 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead and what was the result? The Pharisees hated Him more than ever. It was actually a strong motivator to murder Jesus as both Caiphas and Annas were Sadducees and didn't believe in life after death.

You'll have to introduce them to the concept of death as a sleep through Lazarus' death from sickness.

John 11: 1 NOW a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judæa again.
8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Psalm 146: 2 While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Job 14: 12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Psalm 13: 3 Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

Jeremiah 51:37 And Babylon shall become heaps, a dwellingplace for dragons, an astonishment, and an hissing, without an inhabitant.
38 They shall roar together like lions: they shall yell as lions’ whelps.
39 In their heat I will make their feasts, and I will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the Lord.

Daniel 12:1 AND at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Acts 13: 36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

John 20: 17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Jesus didn't go to heaven immediately upon His death as when He talked to Mary Hew hadn't been there.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hope this helps.
Big time, brother!

I wasn't all that clear with my question

Yes, I have several texts on the state of the dead, but my friend zeroed in on the Luke text, and I lacked in explanation

Given, when I study, it's 'line upon line, precept upon precept',
I got just a bit hung up

Thank you @Gary K

Prayer answered

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Big time, brother!

I wasn't all that clear with my question

Yes, I have several texts on the state of the dead, but my friend zeroed in on the Luke text, and I lacked in explanation

Given, when I study, it's 'line upon line, precept upon precept',
I got just a bit hung up

Thank you @Gary K

Prayer answered
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0