Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am a big fan of C. S. Lewis. I thought Screwtape and Divorce were fantastic - both really challenging, thought provoking and illuminating. I can also hugely recomend his essays. I have read all of a collection on literature, criticism and short stories and am slowly reading through another on 'faith, christianity and the church' - and all are excellent.

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
SeRapH&CheRi said:
Yep, they were contemporaries. :) Tokein apparently made a huge impact on Lewis's life and it was through their discussions where Lewis became a believer. :)

I can see the college where Lewis was a student and fellow out of my window, and the pub where he and Tolkein used to meet is just a ten minute walk away - it is great to sup a pint where such august company has supped before :)

Upvote 0

Athanasius7

Manalive
Mar 1, 2004
Hazard, Kentucky
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
DMB233 said:
thats so cool. Screwtape Letters was dedicated to J.R.R. Tolkien.

That reminds me of a humorous quote from one of Tolkien’s letters:

“….Also I was wryly amused to be told (Daily Telegraph) that ‘Lewis himself was never very fond of ‘The Screwtape Letters‘- his best-seller (250,000). He dedicated it to me. I wondered why. Now I know- says they.” (Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 252)

Upvote 0

twosteppin

They didn't have you where I come from
Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Athanasius7 said:
That reminds me of a humorous quote from one of Tolkien’s letters:

“….Also I was wryly amused to be told (Daily Telegraph) that ‘Lewis himself was never very fond of ‘The Screwtape Letters‘- his best-seller (250,000). He dedicated it to me. I wondered why. Now I know- says they.” (Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 252)

haha. thats hilarious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums