✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Isn’t works based Adam amazing?

Preachers of all denomonations, will preach on the prodigal son,and quickly ask the accusational question…

Are you the prodigal son? (condemnation)

A man of grace will teach on the same parable,and point out the wonders.

The son returned home all condemned out,and thought he had to work,to earn his way back home.

Luke 15:19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’

But the non works father instead,called him a son.

Likewise the owner of the vineyard,did not take works to be measured either,but gave equal pay to all.

Isn’t it amazing how the works minded workers were mad,along with the prodigal sons brother.

Matt 20:10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. 11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12 saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’

Last edited:
Reactions: sunlover1

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Frogster. I believe Jesus was pointing out that works are not of prime importance. Love is always the greatest, without love there is nothing. Love leads and all good things will automatically follow. A loving heart will alway respond with good deeds, a heart with no love is empty of good things, but filled with pride and selfishness. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
"And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work (ergon) on me."Mark 14:6

:confused:

Hi Mary H.:wave:
Do you think the op does show the dynamic of how works people clash with the restful people? Bearing in mind,who does the persecuting.

Gal 4:29 But just as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so also it is now.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Frogster. I believe Jesus was pointing out that works are not of prime importance. Love is always the greatest, without love there is nothing. Love leads and all good things will automatically follow. A loving heart will alway respond with good deeds, a heart with no love is empty of good things, but filled with pride and selfishness. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Hi there Emmy.Yes,for sure I love good works.I don't want to brag and list mine though.:blush:

But I mean it against the self justification doctrine,of works,in that manner.:)

It seems that if the works doctrine people were content,they would not get mad,or seek works based equailty,when they see the non works for justification doctrine.As per the 2 parables.

God bless,thanks for posting.

Reactions: Mobiosity
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Hi Mary H.:wave:
Do you think the op does show the dynamic of how works people clash with the restful people? Bearing in mind,who does the persecuting.

Gal 4:29 But just as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so also it is now.

I don't know about "works people" vs. "restful people". I find the whole works debate really confusing :sorry:

Does works mean effort, and resting mean no effort ?

Paul struggled; he called this sojourn an athletic race with training needed. Is that work ?

Does rest always evidence "resting" ? Or is rest sometimes spiritual laziness ?

Reactions: AoDoA
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christ also reminded us that when the Master returns that those who are awake and watching will be taken, but not the lazy ones who were sleeping when the Master returned. Also, it was the virgins who had oil in their lamps who got to go with the Bridegroom--the lazy ones who didn't have oil for their lamps didn't get to go with the Bridegroom.

Upvote 0

JamesAH

Aug 21, 2008
✟2,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christ also reminded us that when the Master returns that those who are awake and watching will be taken, but not the lazy ones who were sleeping when the Master returned. Also, it was the virgins who had oil in their lamps who got to go with the Bridegroom--the lazy ones who didn't have oil for their lamps didn't get to go with the Bridegroom.

Since when did this turn into a rapture discussion?

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know about "works people" vs. "restful people". I find the whole works debate really confusing :sorry:

Paul struggled; he called this sojourn an athletic race with training needed. Is that work ?

Well,although in 1 cor 15:10,he did say it was grace at work in him.To me,there is a spiritual dynamic,of those who rejoice in the flesh about works,who seem to be hostile to the people of grace,as we saw acted out with the pharisees and Jesus,and Paul.

Like in the parables posted.They show an...."I gotta do it,so should you!".:D

Where the grace people are more at rest,because the stress of self justification is diminished.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since when did this turn into a rapture discussion?

It's not a Rapture discussion, as the Orthodox don't believe in such a thing--there is only the Second Coming. The point is, God does expect works from us.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

It's not about any of that but about the belief or attitude that some "works people" have that their works is not only required but earns them things and positions. Restful people simply let the good works flow out of them, not because it's required or because it will earn them favor from God but because they don't stop the light from shining.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But restful does not mean lazy, although I can see why some people would automatically think that. Restful is opposite that of struggle. So let me ask you, do you struggle to do good works or are good works just something you do easily because it's your nature to do them? Are you doing good works simply to obey so not to get in trouble, or are you doing good works because you simply can't hold in all that love, compassion, and mercy inside you? See, those are the questions you must ask yourself.

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where the grace people are more at rest,because the stress of self justification is diminished.
Well, for some of us self justification isn't there at all. ;)

Apart from Jesus I am nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not a Rapture discussion, as the Orthodox don't believe in such a thing--there is only the Second Coming. The point is, God does expect works from us.
Not exactly, what God wants more than anything from us is faith in him, and this:

John 15: 4-5, Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Apart from Jesus we can not do good works or bear good fruit. What God expects from us is to remain in him, and when we remain in him that is when we will be bearing fruit and doing good works, not of ourselves but because Christ is in us.

Upvote 0