by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Reformed Baptist said:
Do the creeds teach the faith as it is or as a group of Christian's believed it was at that time?
Good question my brother, I'd say it's a very solid foundation. As long as "holy catholic church" is meant in the "holy universal church" sense, I don't think too many people would have a problem with that creed.

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think the creeds teach the faith as it is just as the Bible is still true. All of this creed is taken from different parts of the Bible.

The word catholic does mean unified.
Creeds came about because most people were illiterate, and this way they could memorize Scripture and state their basic beliefs.

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:”
• Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me (Psalm 27.1).
• Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir (Galatians. 4.6, 7).
• "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." (Revelation 4.11)

“And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:”
• For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3.16).
• Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2.5-11).

"Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:"
• Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. (Isaiah 7.14).
•"…and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.” How will this be," Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin? The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God” (Luke 1.33-35).

"Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:"
• Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53.4-6).
• A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12.39-40).
• I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. (Revelation 1.18; John 18.28-42).

'The third day he rose again from the dead:'
• Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” “Thomas said to him, My Lord and my God!”(John 20.27-28).
• We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him (1 Thessalonians 4.14).

“He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:”
• The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”(Psalm 110.1).
• The point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, (Hebrews 8.1).

“From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:”
• In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: (1 Timothy 4.1)
• Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. (Revelation 1.7).
“I believe in the Holy Ghost:”
• “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” (John 14.26).
• For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14.17).
• Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting…All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit… (Acts 2.2, 4).

"I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:"
• And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it (Matthew 16.18).
• They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. (Acts 2.42-45).

"The forgiveness of sins:"
• Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing (Luke 23.34).
• Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin." (John 8.11).
• Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23.42.43).

“The resurrection of the body:”
• I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; (Job 19.25-26).
• Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"(John 11.24-26).
"And in life everlasting. Amen.”
• Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever (Psalm 23.6).
• “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever." (John 6.51)

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is an awesome creed, foundation of the Christian faith catholic (universal). This gem was created before the Bible was formalized into a set "anthology". This creed kept us to that Rock that is Christ, through such heresies as that of the Arians, and the Gnostics.

Ammendment to the Creed around 1054 caused a great schism in the church east/west about the 'Filioque' clause. Yet even though filioque was added, it remains a mighty profession of faith.

This creed has kept the Christian Faith thriving for over a thousand years. Any Church that accepts this creed is truly Christian and catholic in faith.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.