Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know Jesus death was prophesied and that he had to die for all our sins but I'm wondering why the mob in Jerusalem turned against him in less than a week? Seems like Jerusalem folk went from welcoming him as King, to demanding his crucifixion in less than a week. Anyone explain this to me please? I'm puzzled by this. TIA

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The general belief is that this is two different groups. The crowd greeting Jesus on Palm Sunday is explained in John's Gospel chapter 12

"When the great crowd of the Jews learned that he was there, they came, not only on account of Jesus but also to see Lazaros, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests planned to put Lazaros also to death, because on account of him many of the Jews were going away and believing in Jesus. The next day a great crowd who had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem." So these are followers or at least curious about Jesus as a miracle worker.

The crowd that was assembled on the morning of Friday was assembled during the nighttime / dawn trials of Jesus between Pilate and the Sanhedrin. Most likely this was a group of Pharisees, Saducees, and possibly merchants and temple officials. It is doubtful that most of the ordinary citizens or Jesus's supporters were even aware of the arrest of Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The general belief is that this is two different groups. The crowd greeting Jesus on Palm Sunday is explained in John's Gospel chapter 12

"When the great crowd of the Jews learned that he was there, they came, not only on account of Jesus but also to see Lazaros, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests planned to put Lazaros also to death, because on account of him many of the Jews were going away and believing in Jesus. The next day a great crowd who had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem." So these are followers or at least curious about Jesus as a miracle worker.

The crowd that was assembled on the morning of Friday was assembled during the nighttime / dawn trials of Jesus between Pilate and the Sanhedrin. Most likely this was a group of Pharisees, Saducees, and possibly merchants and temple officials. It is doubtful that most of the ordinary citizens or Jesus's supporters were even aware of the arrest of Jesus.
Yes, two completely different groups of people.

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know Jesus death was prophesied and that he had to die for all our sins but I'm wondering why the mob in Jerusalem turned against him in less than a week? Seems like Jerusalem folk went from welcoming him as King, to demanding his crucifixion in less than a week. Anyone explain this to me please? I'm puzzled by this. TIA
Just as we see today there are individuals who infiltrate mobs, stirring them up for evil purposes. Caiaphas the high priest of that time appointed by a Roman governor, not GOD and many of the Sanhedrin were of the very seed of Satan (Kenites=sons of Cain.) They moved the crowd stirring them up yelling "crucify HIM". We see it today and latest example 1/6 where there were and has been found out that there were FBI agents who stirred the crowd to infiltrate the Capital. People have not changed; and their hearts to do evil was prevalent then as today. Satan has been after 1st; the seed line from which CHRIST was to come, from very beginning. You can even go as far back as the 1st age where Satan instead of guarding the mercy seat, wanted to sit on the mercy seat. Just as today when one has a bigger megaphone to move people in certain ways there are many have eyes wide shut are easily persuaded to do bad things. Peer pressure is just as it was 2k years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We know the side of Jerusalem Jesus entered on Palm Sunday was a crummier part of town. Jesus’s supporters at the time of his life were the poor so that’s why they were excited for him there.

It’s question of location.

Upvote 0