Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
According to the bible - what was Jesus' mission? Did He simply get "caught" in unfortunate circumstances - or was it the plan for the Messiah - as the God-man to die for the sins of the world?

Please Kori, no offense meant but, Jesus is no longer in the condition to be the source of any thing if you read Ecclesiastes 9:5,6.

Eccl 9 argues against the modern concept of "immortal soul". So to that extent we do agree. However God is immortal as I think everyone agrees. The son of God in this case is not Adam who was fully human and not God incarnate - but in this case it is Jesus who is God-man -- fully God, fully man. "In him dwells all the fullness of the godhead in bodily form". Now it is certain that in Eccl 9 - Solomon is not talking about the God-man state of a person in death. Jesus said "I have power to lay down my life - and I have power to take it up again".

John 10:18 "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."

Here is a claim that puts the one who makes it at risk being proven wrong - but He is saying that after His public execution... after he is in the tomb... on the third day... He will raise Himself from the dead. All they would have to do on the 4th day to prove Him wrong - is go to His tomb and say -- "see -- He is still there".

Notice that when Jesus was resurrected - both the Roman guards and the Jewish leaders opposed to Christ - agreed He was not in the tomb any longer on the 3rd day. And they both agreed that a Roman guard has stationed around the tomb to prevent that.

What is also clear is that his closes followers were 'hiding in the upper room for fear of the Jews" at this same time.

No human could raise himself. In the Tanakh (OT) you have Elisha raising people from the dead - but you don't have the dead raising themselves. That does not happen in all of scripture - except in the case of the God-man Jesus.

To HaShem there is no difference between modern and ancient. Immortality belongs with HaShem only. I am aware that the Son of God was not Adam but Israel if HaShem was telling the truth when He said, "Israel is My Son." (Exodus 4:22,23) Jesus was fully human and he was himself aware that HaShem is of an absolute Oneness. So, Jesus could not be God. Then, if Jesus had the power to lay down his life, why would he pray thrice in the Gethsemane asking HaShem not to have him walk the Via Dolorosa?

He does not say "walk the via dolorosa" -- He prays that "this cup might pass from him".

Christ points out that he could escape at any moment. If He chose to do so.

Matthew 26
47 While He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, came up accompanied by a large crowd with swords and clubs, who came from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 Now he who was betraying Him gave them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the one; seize Him.” 49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him.

51 And behold, one of those who were with Jesus reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus *said to him, “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?”

John 18:11
11 So Jesus said to Peter, “Put the sword into the sheath; the cup which the Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?”

John 18
33 Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and summoned Jesus and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” 34 Jesus answered, “Are you saying this on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?” 36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.” 37 Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

Matthew 16
21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. 22 Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.” 23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

=================

Jesus said that this event was the very reason He came to earth.

Reactions: Winken

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In Matthew 1 Jesus is the one who comes to "Save His people from their sins"

19 And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly. 20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” 22 Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us.” 24 And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife,

In Isaiah 53 the Messiah is the "Sin offering" for the people of God. taking the debt that they owe for sin.

Is 53
10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

Jeremiah 23
5 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The Lord Our Righteousness.

Lev 17
11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the bible - what was Jesus' mission? Did He simply get "caught" in unfortunate circumstances - or was it the plan for the Messiah - as the God-man to die for the sins of the world?

Everything that transpires is part of the plan of God. The crux of the mission of Jesus was to destroy the power of death through death itself: Hebrews 2:14

Eccl 9 argues against the modern concept of "immortal soul".

The Ecclesiastes uses the phrase "under the sun" some 27 times. It's a book that specifically addresses life on earth, and doesn't really teach about "heavenly things" but is instruction on living in the flesh, and not what happens afterward.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Ecclesiastes uses the phrase "under the sun" some 27 times. It's a book that specifically addresses life on earth, and doesn't really teach about "heavenly things" but is instruction on living in the flesh, and not what happens afterward.

Jesus was resurrected and went to heaven - but no text says that since He is gone to heaven - - and is not on earth that He "knows nothing"

Eccl 9 -- is specific to those who are not among the living -- who are "the dead" -- those that 1 Thess 4 calls "the dead in Christ" in the case of the saints.

4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! 5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
6 Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was resurrected and went to heaven - but no text says that since He is gone to heaven - - and is not on earth that He "knows nothing"

Eccl 9 -- is specific to those who are not among the living -- who are "the dead" -- those that 1 Thess 4 calls "the dead in Christ" in the case of the saints.

4 Anyone who is among the living has hope—even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! 5 For the living know that they will die,
6 Their love, their hate

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
6 Their love, their hate

True - but the phrase "the dead know nothing" is not a reference to Christ as our High Priest in heaven simply because he is not here on earth.

Rather we have this - for Christ in heaven. After His resurrection.

Hebrews 8
Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. 3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices; so it is necessary that this high priest also have something to offer. 4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law

Hebrews 9
11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation; 12 and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True - but the phrase "the dead know nothing" is not a reference to Christ as our High Priest in heaven simply because he is not here on earth.

Rather we have this - for Christ in heaven. After His resurrection.

Sure, I agree entirely. I was meaning that the Ecclesiastes is a wisdom book on things "under the sun": when a person dies, they're no longer active in affairs "under the sun": this is why the phrase (unique to the book) is repeated 27 times, to drive home that it's talking about "earthly" life.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
In Matthew 1 Jesus is the one who comes to "Save His people from their sins"

Now, tell me BobRyan, did Jesus save people from their sins? I don't think so! People sinned before Jesus came, kept on sinning while Jesus was living and went on sinning after he died. BTW, there are more sinners today, after Jesus passed away than before he was born. It means that the Prophets were right to teach that no one can die for the sins of another.(Jeremiah 31:30; Ezekiel 18:3,20)

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Jesus' mission was to confirm God's Law and the Prophets down to the letter.
(Mat. 5:17-19 and Luke 16:29-31) And he did not die for the sins of the world because he was a loyal Jew and, he would not contradict the Prophets who teach that no one can die for the sins of another.

But you are close to the truth when you say above that Jesus simply got caught in unfortunate circumstances. For instance, the action of irresponsible disciples who decided to acclaim Jesus king of the Jews in Jerusalem which was a Roman province at the time. The Pharisees did try to rescue him from being arrested when they asked him to stop his disciples. (Luke 19:37-40) Probably, because he was enjoying the parade he denied to stop them or the stones would shout.

Soon later Jesus was arrested in the Gethsemane and later taken to Court before Pilate and condemned to the cross on a charge of insurrection. Hence his verdict on the top of his cross read INRI and nailed there by orders of Pilate, so that every one could see the reason why he was crucified. It did not help though, since up to this very day, Christians in general prefer to hold unto the slander that the Jews did it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
He does not say "walk the via dolorosa" -- He prays that "this cup might pass from him". Christ points out that he could escape at any moment. If He chose to do so.

For heaven's sake BobRyan! to walk the Via Dolorosa is an analogy to Jesus' walking to the Golgotha. Regarding Jesus' power to escape at any moment if he chose to, sounds like a bluffing. Why? Because he had prayed three times not to have to die on the cross. Any chance to escape that situation, would be a stupid decision not to take.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For heaven's sake BobRyan! to walk the Via Dolorosa is an analogy to Jesus' walking to the Golgotha. Regarding Jesus' power to escape at any moment if he chose to, sounds like a bluffing. Why? Because he had prayed three times not to have to die on the cross. Any chance to escape that situation, would be a stupid decision not to take.

He ends each prayer with "nevertheless not my will but Thy Will be done". He is very specific that He does not want to yield to the temptation to reject His Father's will and choose instead - his own.

In Matthew 4 - after 40 days of no water and no food - the devil tempts him to eat bread - by exercising his God-power to turn bread into stone. Now the simple fact is that it is not a sin to eat a little bread after fasting. Even if the devil suggests it. The Devil does not "define sin" -- only God does. "Sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4. But the devil was tempting Christ to use his own God-power and not to trust fully in His father. So Jesus' response to Satan is that mankind lives by the Word of God - not by doing our own will. He does not say "don't be silly -- I can't turn stone into bread".

Satan's argument is in essence -- "IF you are the Son of God - then you should be able of your own power as God - be able turn a stone into bread. Something that God-alone can do" and Christ's response is of the form "I am not going to do anything except what my Father tells Me to do -- i will not use my own God-power to assist me in such a crisis"

Which is why in - this post we have this --

Eccl 9 argues against the modern concept of "immortal soul". So to that extent we do agree. However God is immortal as I think everyone agrees. The son of God in this case is not Adam who was fully human and not God incarnate - but in this case it is Jesus who is God-man -- fully God, fully man. "In him dwells all the fullness of the godhead in bodily form". Now it is certain that in Eccl 9 - Solomon is not talking about the God-man state of a person in death. Jesus said "I have power to lay down my life - and I have power to take it up again".

John 10:18 "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."

Here is a claim that puts the one who makes it at risk being proven wrong - but He is saying that after His public execution... after he is in the tomb... on the third day... He will raise Himself from the dead. All they would have to do on the 4th day to prove Him wrong - is go to His tomb and say -- "see -- He is still there".

Notice that when Jesus was resurrected - both the Roman guards and the Jewish leaders opposed to Christ - agreed He was not in the tomb any longer on the 3rd day. And they both agreed that a Roman guard has stationed around the tomb to prevent that.

What is also clear is that his closes followers were 'hiding in the upper room for fear of the Jews" at this same time.

No human could raise himself. In the Tanakh (OT) you have Elisha raising people from the dead - but you don't have the dead raising themselves. That does not happen in all of scripture - except in the case of the God-man Jesus.

He does not say "walk the via dolorosa" -- He prays that "this cup might pass from him".

Christ points out that he could escape at any moment. If He chose to do so.

Matthew 26
47 While He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, came up accompanied by a large crowd with swords and clubs, who came from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 Now he who was betraying Him gave them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the one; seize Him.” 49 Immediately Judas went to Jesus and said, “Hail, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. 50 And Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you have come for.” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and seized Him.

51 And behold, one of those who were with Jesus reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus *said to him, “Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 How then will the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say that it must happen this way?”

11 So Jesus said to Peter, “Put the sword into the sheath; the cup which the Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?”

John 18
33 Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and summoned Jesus and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?” 34 Jesus answered, “Are you saying this on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?” 36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.” 37 Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

Matthew 16
21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. 22 Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.” 23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

=================

Jesus said that this event was the very reason He came to earth.

Matthew 26

John 18

Matthew 16

Jesus' mission was to confirm God's Law and the Prophets down to the letter.
(Mat. 5:17-19 and Luke 16:29-31) And he did not die for the sins of the world because he was a loyal Jew

As the Messiah Jesus was the "sin offering" as Isaiah 53 says... and the whole point of the sin offering - is a perfect spotless sinless sacrifice -- atoning substitutionary sacrifice that takes the place of the sinner - takes the punishment due the sinner ... just as Isaiah 53 says.

Just as 1 John 2:2 says about Christ as our "Atoning Sacrifice" that is "not for our sins only but for the sins of the whole world".

"For without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Now, tell me BobRyan, did Jesus save people from their sins? I don't think so! People sinned before Jesus came, kept on sinning while Jesus was living and went on sinning after he died. BTW, there are more sinners today, after Jesus passed away than before he was born. It means that the Prophets were right to teach that no one can die for the sins of another.(Jeremiah 31:30; Ezekiel 18:3,20)

He saves them from the penalty that the Law demands for sin - "the wages of sin is death" -- the second death... in fire and brimstone -- Revelation 20. His payment for sin that God's Law demands (Isaiah 53 perfect spotless sin offering)- reconciles God and man to the point that the Holy Spirit will cause the New Birth in the sinner - changing the heart - removing the heart of stone... and then the sinner can walk in obedience to the Law of God by the power of God's Spirit.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But you are close to the truth when you say above that Jesus simply got caught in unfortunate circumstances. For instance, the action of irresponsible disciples who decided to acclaim Jesus king of the Jews in Jerusalem which was a Roman province at the time.

Jesus said He was a king - when questioned by the Romans. And he said that "my kingdom is not of THIS World else would by servants fight that I should not be taken". The Jews had rejected Him as their messiah - sitting on David's throne.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said He was a king - when questioned by the Romans. And he said that "my kingdom is not of THIS World else would by servants fight that I should not be taken". The Jews had rejected Him as their messiah - sitting on David's throne.

As the Messiah is concerned, Jesus was not the one. The Messiah cannot be an individual. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) Now, for the collective concept of Messiah, read Habakkuk 3:13. "The Lord goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One." That's what Messiah is, the Anointed One of the Lord aka Israel the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23.

Bob, I don't believe in an individual Messiah! Other Jews still wait for an individual Messiah. That depressive condition I don't share with them. But just for the sake of discussion, what did Jesus do to enjoy the title of Messiah? Nothing! Nada! Shum davar! You owe to Paul your belief that Jesus was the Messiah. (II Timothy 2:8)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
He saves them from the penalty that the Law demands for sin - "the wages of sin is death" -- the second death... in fire and brimstone -- Revelation 20. His payment for sin that God's Law demands (Isaiah 53 perfect spotless sin offering)- reconciles God and man to the point that the Holy Spirit will cause the New Birth in the sinner - changing the heart - removing the heart of stone... and then the sinner can walk in obedience to the Law of God by the power of God's Spirit.

Jesus cannot save any thing Bob. How could he save others when he didn't even save himself? When you use present tense to speak about Jesus, that's
Christian preconceived notions dictating to you what to say. Jesus has been dead for about 2000 years already, and only by faith you can see that he is alive. Faith is too delusive.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
He ends each prayer with "nevertheless not my will but Thy Will be done". He is very specific that He does not want to yield to the temptation to reject His Father's will and choose instead - his own.

"Nevertheless, not my will but Thy will be done." What was Jesus' will Bob?
Clear enough that his will was not the same as God's will. The point here is that it was not Jesus' will to die on the cross for no one. We are talking here about Jesus' will, not God's will. And Christians in general claim that Jesus was willing to deliver his life as a sacrifice. He was rather forced unto the cross against his will.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Nevertheless, not my will but Thy will be done." What was Jesus' will Bob?
Clear enough that his will was not the same as God's will. The point here is that it was not Jesus' will to die on the cross for no one.

Isaiah 53 says that by His death He saves many... not "no one".

But you are right that neither the Son, or the Father or the Holy Spirit wanted the death of Jesus "for no one". Thankfully His death provides the sin offering that Isaiah 53 predicts it would be "for the many".

We are talking here about Jesus' will, not God's will. And Christians in general claim that Jesus was willing to deliver his life as a sacrifice. He was rather forced unto the cross against his will.

Peter claimed that - and Jesus flat out says Peter is wrong.

(As we just saw here)

Matthew 26

John 18

Matthew 16

=================

Jesus said that this event was the very reason He came to earth.[/QUOTE]

Matthew 26

John 18

Matthew 16

Upvote 0