Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I posted this in on another thread, but think is is a good question.

First off, most people see Phelps as a loon. However, listen to his responses, and the one the woman.
Interview with Fred
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9Wq...eature=related

A woman from the church
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi77koTk8mc

This is what I find interesting. Many conservative Christians will denounce him as crazy and bad. However, there are the points that he brings up:

The Wrath of God is being poured out on America because they don't obey.
The believe that homosexuality is an abomination.
They are doing God's will, and showing their love for gay people by pointing out the error of their way, of warning them about hell.
That they may be hated, but they must being doing something right, because before us, they hated Him.
Quoting OT to show how God punishes the disobedient.
They focus on God's Wrath and condemnation, and rarely talk about God's endless love, mercy, or compassion.
They always seem so angry, not one of the fruits of the Spirit.

Take away the protests of funerals, and posters will talk about the impending "Smack Down (TM)", that being hated is an indicator that the poster is doing something right, and quoting the ""If the world hates you, realize that it hated me before it hated you. ... If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you. ...", I have been told that the they keep harping on homosexuality because they are warning people that they are about to fall off a cliff. Some will talk a lot about condemnation under the law, and rarely talk about God's love. Their posts sound condescending or spiteful or angry.

Take away the anger, and it still rings true.

The believe that homosexuality is an abomination, and quote Leviticus.
They are doing God's will, and showing their love for gay people by pointing out the error of their way, of warning them about hell.
That they may be hated, but they must being doing something right, because before us, they hated Him.
They claim that you can't be gay and Christian.
Homosexuals are going to hell.

It's just not the industrial strength, but it is perfectly in line with their belief system.

So, I have a hard time understanding why Phelps is considered crazy if they basically believe the majority of what he claims.

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The believe that homosexuality is an abomination.

I think it is odd how often something like this comes up and how I hear so many Christians point out that it is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. Often as though it were the only one.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 A heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pro 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

There are many many things in the bible described as abominations. It strikes me as odd how many seem to focus on this one thing while ignoring thier own abominations.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Flame thread.

Use Rick Warren instead of Phelps. There are thousands of Pastors of Churches out there that oppose gay culture.

Rick Warren (I don't know of him) looks sane, which would defeat the purpose, which is to examine what it is about Phelps that is what people have problems with. On another site, people called me really filthy names, told me I was going to hell, told me that i wasn't worthy of seeing the light of God's faith, that I disgust God, called the new "f' word repeatedly, but they all said, "oh, well Fred Phelps is crackers."

I'm trying to figure out if Phelps message is faulty to people who are anti-gay, or simply, his method.

Take for example:
Gays go to hell.

Agree or disagre?

Upvote 0

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Take for example:
Gays go to hell.

Agree or disagre?
If by hell you mean grave then yes, as will we all.
If by hell you mean an eternal fire pit where they shall be punished for eternity. NO! not a chance.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I think it is odd how often something like this comes up and how I hear so many Christians point out that it is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. Often as though it were the only one.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 A heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pro 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

There are many many things in the bible described as abominations. It strikes me as odd how many seem to focus on this one thing while ignoring thier own abominations.

Yeah, often I am quoted the people that will not enter into heaven:
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The fact that there a LOT of drunk people, those who commit adultery, idolaters of material wealth, fornicators (people having premarital sex), doesn't seem to be an issue.

I even remember saying something about gossips, and yet, people love to gossip.

Upvote 0

Andreusz

Aug 10, 2008
South Africa
✟9,551.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: ...

Nah ... that one's definitely not an abomination any more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a good point (if I understand it) - most conservative Christians distance themselves from Phelps and write him off as a nut. But that's because of Phelp's methods, not his message.

Generally even the most vocal opponents of 'homosexual culture' wouldn't consider protesting at a funeral (of a gay man, let alone US soldiers). But if you disregard the actions that Phelps' group takes and focus only on their beliefs and message then suddenly many of the people who'd distance themselves from him are right there next to him.

So is Phelps 'a loon' to the conservative Christians or is he just a little too excessive in his actions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HappyHealthyHolyRoller

Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
✟352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Men like Fred Phelps are created. "But who creates such a raving loon?" I believe it's the enemies of God that created him, that's who. From the limited time I have spent on this message board, and learning about the kinds of attitudes some of the unbelievers have here, I am now ready to state my case that they are enemies of the most high God. They declared war on Him, thus they are enemies.

In one way or another they declared their war on him. How so? By claiming Christians as being sanctimonious jerks. By saying God's people are arrogant and intolerant. They distort history (on purpose) by saying such things as "The Christians caused the crusades, which is the worst atrocity ever. Oh, and they converted people at swordpoint during the Spanish inquisitions." When shown proof to the contrary, they refuse to listen to it; they fabricate either excuses or lies to further support their distortions of the crusades.

Thus they are a sworn enemy of God, and are soley responsible for creating raving loons such as Fred Phelps.
So whenever you see one of these:

You know it's because someone somewhere either called a Christian a sanctimonious jerk or they believed the distortion and lies in the western history classrooms.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Men like Fred Phelps are created. "But who creates such a raving loon?" I believe it's the enemies of God that created him, that's who. From the limited time I have spent on this message board, and learning about the kinds of attitudes some of the unbelievers have here, I am now ready to state my case that they are enemies of the most high God. They declared war on Him, thus they are enemies.

In one way or another they declared their war on him. How so? By claiming Christians as being sanctimonious jerks. By saying God's people are arrogant and intolerant. .

Nah. That would be redundant.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

In one way or another they declared their war on him. How so? By claiming Christians as being sanctimonious jerks. By saying God's people are arrogant and intolerant. They distort history (on purpose) by saying such things as "The Christians caused the crusades, which is the worst atrocity ever. Oh, and they converted people at swordpoint during the Spanish inquisitions." When shown proof to the contrary, they refuse to listen to it; they fabricate either excuses or lies to further support their distortions of the crusades.

Thus they are a sworn enemy of God, and are soley responsible for creating raving loons such as Fred Phelps.
So whenever you see one of these:

You know it's because someone somewhere either called a Christian a sanctimonious jerk or they believed the distortion and lies in the western history classrooms.

Hahahah wow talk about passing the buck!

Holy Roller didn't you say you left and went to StormFront? What changed?

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

I have always felt that Fred Phelps is a pretty accurate representation of right wing Christianity in America. The only thing Christians don’t much like about him is the way he and his family protest military funerals. Sadly most of these same people happily supported Phelps when he and his group picked the funerals of gay men shouting threats and profanity at the family of the deceased

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.