✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
135829755_215203573610917_2063027316961719514_o.jpg

The love of money is idol worshipping in its most relevant and practical form. Money can replace God. Money can mimic God and give us (false) illusions of security, safety, love and happiness. We can begin to trust in money to the point of confusing it with God and loving it more than God.

Exodus 20:23 – Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold.

This commandment is telling us not to make money, our God. This is idol worshipping.

Matthew 6:24-34 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

We make money into our God when we follow worldly principles and philosophies instead of biblical ones. Principles from the bible would actually cause us to give our money away and not to amass it.

We make money into our God when we seek after it instead of God. We spend our time and energy seeking this money because we lack faith that God will provide for us. We diligently look to money for security and not to God.

Matthew 6 continued….25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

In this verse, Jesus is explaining that life is about more than physical food and clothing. Our focus should be feeding on the word of God and clothing our spiritual body with righteousness (which is the words and teachings of Jesus). We should be caring about our spiritual life.

Our concern should not be on our physical lives here in the world which is short and will pass away. Why are we investing in something so temporary? If we put seeking and keeping the Holy Spirit in our lives our first and only priority, God will add all the things we need to us. He will provide for us as He promised.

#loveofmoney #havefaith #Godwillprovide #giveupall

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious.

Do you post these things because you want a discussion, or because you just want to make a point and then sit back and wait to see if anyone disagrees with you?

Because your OP isn't a question or a talking point. It's "THIS IS HOW IT IS, PERIOD" and that's it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious.

Do you post these things because you want a discussion, or because you just want to make a point and then sit back and wait to see if anyone disagrees with you?

Because your OP isn't a question or a talking point. It's "THIS IS HOW IT IS, PERIOD" and that's it.

Good point, sister! Apparently, some folks enjoy that kind of thing. .... I guess.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious.

Then again, since this is in the Ethics and Morality section, it will be interesting to see how any skeptics or other non-Christians decide to respond to the premise. ;)

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious.

Usually a discussion takes place that way where by somebody asserts their opinion and then the other person asserts there’s In opposition Or agrees.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then again, since this is in the Ethics and Morality section, it will be interesting to see how any skeptics or other non-Christians decide to respond to the premise. ;)

I’d be careful who you were labelling as non-Christians are you observing Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’d be careful who you were labelling as non-Christians are you observing Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Who said anything about "labelling"? I didn't label anyone. Maybe try to understand the context of what I wrote above more closely ...

By the way, is your first name Ashley?

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Some people here ARE non-Christians. They identify themselves as Buddhists or Atheists or Skeptics or otherwise. So it's not a value judgment. It's just what they are and what they refer to themselves as.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people here ARE non-Christians. They identify themselves as Buddhists or Atheists or Skeptics or otherwise. So it's not a value judgment. It's just what they are and what they refer to themselves as.
Oh ok thank you for the clarification I thought only Christians were on this site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who said anything about "labelling"? I didn't label anyone. Maybe try to understand the context of what I wrote above more closely ...

By the way, is your first name Ashley?
Oh I’m sorry I thought you were Referring to me as I did not know non-Christians were on the site.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Usually a discussion takes place that way where by somebody asserts their opinion and then the other person asserts there’s In opposition Or agrees.

If someone wants to hear other opinions, they will usually say so in the OP. "Tell me your thoughts" or "Let me hear your opinions" or "Do you agree or disagree, and why?"

You don't seem to welcome that sort of response, from what I've seen so far. The way you're presenting yourself is "This is a fact. I dare you to say otherwise."

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh I’m sorry I thought you were Referring to me as I did not know non-Christians were on the site.

Yeah, there are lots of non-Christians on this site. And this Ethics and Morality section is a general, more public section that is open to anyone. Just so you know. ;)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Oh ok thank you for the clarification I thought only Christians were on this site.
It's a very mixed bag here. Some parts are only for those who affirm Nicean Christianity. Other parts are open to everybody. Among Christians we have Orthodox and Catholics, evangelicals, main-line and liberal, and even Seventh Day Adventists. Sometimes it degenerates into a brawl. Once in a while somebody learns something. Rarely there are really good threads where we all engage positively. For the most part we talk past each other.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,756.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The love of money is idol worshipping in its most relevant and practical form. Money can replace God. Money can mimic God and give us (false) illusions of security, safety, love and happiness. We can begin to trust in money to the point of confusing it with God and loving it more than God.

Exodus 20:23 – Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold.

This commandment is telling us not to make money, our God. This is idol worshipping.

Matthew 6:24-34 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

We make money into our God when we follow worldly principles and philosophies instead of biblical ones. Principles from the bible would actually cause us to give our money away and not to amass it.

We make money into our God when we seek after it instead of God. We spend our time and energy seeking this money because we lack faith that God will provide for us. We diligently look to money for security and not to God.

Matthew 6 continued….25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

In this verse, Jesus is explaining that life is about more than physical food and clothing. Our focus should be feeding on the word of God and clothing our spiritual body with righteousness (which is the words and teachings of Jesus). We should be caring about our spiritual life.

Our concern should not be on our physical lives here in the world which is short and will pass away. Why are we investing in something so temporary? If we put seeking and keeping the Holy Spirit in our lives our first and only priority, God will add all the things we need to us. He will provide for us as He promised.

What about the love of Marrow Bones?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a very mixed bag here. Some parts are only for those who affirm Nicean Christianity. Other parts are open to everybody. Among Christians we have Orthodox and Catholics, evangelicals, main-line and liberal, and even Seventh Day Adventists. Sometimes it degenerates into a brawl. Once in a while somebody learns something. Rarely there are really good threads where we all engage positively. For the most part we talk past each other.
How true this is!

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,533.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Anything can become an idol,

it is just that the one you have posted can speak too.

Or so it goes,
"Money speaks."

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I know a lot of people who value money, but I’ve never seen nor heard of anybody worshiping money the way people worship God; have you? If so give an example of how someone does this.

I think only someone with mental problems is going to worship money.

Which principles and philosophies do you equate with making money God? Can you list a few?
We make money into our God when we seek after it instead of God.
How about those who seek it AND God? Most of my Christian friends actually have jobs. Why do they have jobs? Because even though they seek God, they also seek money.
We spend our time and energy seeking this money because we lack faith that God will provide for us. We diligently look to money for security and not to God.
Does God pay your light bills, or put gas in your car, or provide food for your family? Or do you use money for those things.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If someone wants to hear other opinions, they will usually say so in the OP. "Tell me your thoughts" or "Let me hear your opinions" or "Do you agree or disagree, and why?"

You don't seem to welcome that sort of response, from what I've seen so far. The way you're presenting yourself is "This is a fact. I dare you to say otherwise."
Oh OK thanks for the advice I’ll try that next time in my post.

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know a lot of people who value money, but I’ve never seen nor heard of anybody worshiping money the way people worship God; have you? If so give an example of how someone does this.

I think only someone with mental problems is going to worship money.

Which principles and philosophies do you equate with making money God? Can you list a few?

How about those who seek it AND God? Most of my Christian friends actually have jobs. Why do they have jobs? Because even though they seek God, they also seek money.

Does God pay your light bills, or put gas in your car, or provide food for your family? Or do you use money for those things.

We are meant to give up all our possessions and follow Jesus like the way the disciples did and the way Jesus lived.

Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

We are meant to trust God that he will provide for all our needs it says he will add these things to you if you seek the kingdom of heaven and it’s righteousness first as in you make it your first priority not what you will eat drink or wear.

Luke 12:22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

We are meant to look to God for provision while preaching the gospel.

Luke 12:32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Upvote 0