The Lost Years of Jesus

Mainliner

Mar 15, 2011
✟15,185.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Almost 20 years of His life is unrecorded. And yet we are told that He never sinned, which means he could have done some remarkable things during these years, even before his ministry.

Also, I felt myself teased by this passage in John 21:25:

Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

In other words, Jesus whole life was extraordinary, not just the stuff we are told in Gospels.

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not there because it wasn't important plain and simple. Did you know that Paul actually wrote 1 more letter to the Corinthians, but it didn't make it into the Bible because it was probably Paul just speaking not God speaking. And the Bible is only what is important and what is God breathed. I also hunger to know more about his young adult years, but it isn't there so we have to be ok with the fact that there is a reason why it isn't there (it just wasn't important). And know that everything that did end up in the Bible was for a reason and fits God's plan. =]

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not there because it wasn't important plain and simple. Did you know that Paul actually wrote 1 more letter to the Corinthians, but it didn't make it into the Bible because it was probably Paul just speaking not God speaking. And the Bible is only what is important and what is God breathed. I also hunger to know more about his young adult years, but it isn't there so we have to be ok with the fact that there is a reason why it isn't there (it just wasn't important). And know that everything that did end up in the Bible was for a reason and fits God's plan. =]

Well said!!

All we can do is wait until we are in heaven to ask what went on those missing years :wave:

Upvote 0

stfrancisfan1215

Christian, leaning Anglican
May 17, 2011
Spring, TX
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well said!!

All we can do is wait until we are in heaven to ask what went on those missing years :wave:

I can't wait! Also something else to think about
"And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself."

I would love to hear what Christ said on the road to Emmaus that day.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Almost 20 years of His life is unrecorded. And yet we are told that He never sinned, which means he could have done some remarkable things during these years, even before his ministry.

Also, I felt myself teased by this passage in John 21:25:

Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

In other words, Jesus whole life was extraordinary, not just the stuff we are told in Gospels.

Nothing has been lost-in fact, the bible is the most accurate history book.

Historical Accuracy
The bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events hundreds of years ago and has not
been proven incorrect in any.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents):
New Testament starts - at 25 years between original and first surviving copies
Homer - starts at 500 years
Demosthenes - at 1400 years
Plato - at 1200 years
Caesar - at 1000 years

John 21:25
25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's a great documentary, where filmmakers traced the Holy Family's route through Egypt.

Churches I grew up with tended to speak of Jesus' childhood as taking place in Nazareth. But if you measure the years 'til Herod's death, and other surrounding factors, it is easier to see that He spent more time in Egypt than we'd been taught.

Many towns along the path have legends about a family; mosiacs, paintings and stained glass windows in their town, in remembrance of a family that was on the run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
It seems that during the first 30 years of Jesus' life he never did a miracle, he never spoke a sermon, or taught, or anything like his ministry, but yet his father said "This is my son whom I am well pleased"

This is more amazing than his miracles (in my opinion) that nothing Jesus did (miracles, teachigns, etc.) earned his fathers pleasure, but who he was and how he lived his first 30 years.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is written somewhere in the Bible that if all the things Jesus did were written down, I suppose the world could not contain them all.
Good point.

This is more amazing than his miracles (in my opinion)
Self-restraint! So true. Not being flashy when He knew it would be counter-productive. Not striving to please the Father with random works.

Luke 2

The Child continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.

41 And when He became twelve, they went up [to Jerusalem] according to the custom of the Feast; and as they were returning, after spending the full number of days, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem.

But His parents were unaware of it... after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions.

And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers.

...52 And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Upvote 0