The Lost Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just told that there are more books in the bible than we see.....ie. the book of mary? ive never heard of it....maybe im just young and nieve but why arnt those books in the bible too? did the Roman catholics just pick out what they wanted and left the rest for controversy?
Backward in time

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
backward in time said:
I was just told that there are more books in the bible than we see.....ie. the book of mary? ive never heard of it....maybe im just young and nieve but why arnt those books in the bible too? did the Roman catholics just pick out what they wanted and left the rest for controversy?
Backward in time

Jesus rocked his world. There was a lot of things written about Him after His resurrection from a whole variety of points of view. Not everything that was written about Him, however, was of equal value. A lot of the gospels that had a more fairy tale quality to them that appealed to the poular imagination were omiitted from the list of inspired works that later formed the New Testament.

I think a lot of Baptists and Orthodox would agree with me that a lot of the Fathers of the early church were not strictly speaking Roman Catholic. Even if we Catholics trace our roots back to the Apostle Peter establishing a Church in Rome, the early Christian Church developed from a variety of centers across the ancient world, and which books to include and which to exclude were decided by the Holy Spirit inspiring the early church fathers as a whole into making the correct decision.
It may be an interesting side note that Mohammed and the Moslem religion as well were influenced by some of these extra-scriptural writings. Of some interest is the informationposted below from a previous post:

I found this article on the origins of Islamic religion to be particularily interesting.

http://answering-islam.org.uk/Books/Goldsack/Sources/chap3.htm

Of particular interest to this thread we may read the following:

Another story of the Qur'an which has a distinctly Christian origin is that relating to the childhood of the Virgin Mary. Nothing is more striking to the thoughtful reader than the silence of the genuine Gospels concerning the person of the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ; but in a community where the pure teachings of the Gospel were hidden under a load of superstitious beliefs, and where Mariolatry had taken the place of true worship, it is not surprising to find a number of legendary stories in which, with extravagant detail, the events of the Virgin's life are related. These Apocryphal stories were current amongst the Christians of Arabia, and were almost certainly well known to Muhammad. The latter, however, was too ignorant of the contents of the genuine Gospels to detect their spuriousness, and consequently found no difficulty in introducing them into his 'revelations' as a part of the message sent down to 'confirm the previous Scriptures'.

From Suratu Al-i-'Imran 2 we learn that, in her childhood, Mary was brought to the temple of Jerusalem which was henceforth her home until the birth of Christ. During her residence there, the Qur'an tells us, it was signified by lot who was to be her guardian. Thus we read:-

1 The account is found in a homily in the "Acta Sanctcorum." See Tisdall, "The Sources of The Qur'an," p. 147.

2 Suratu Al-i-'Imran (iii. 39). page 29

"Thou was not present with them when they cast lots with reeds which of them should rear Mary." This story, as every reader of the Gospels knows, is not to be found in the inspired record. It is, however, found in its entirety in the Apocryphal books of the heretical Christians who lived in Arabia in the time of Muhammad. Hence its source is clear. Thus in both the "Protevangelium of James the Less,"1 and in the Coptic "History of the Virgin" the incident of casting lots for the guardianship or, as it is there styled, the right to become the husband of Mary is fully related. In the former we are told that when Mary reached the age of twelve a council of the priests was held to decide upon her future after which "an angel of the Lord stood by him (Zacharias) saying 'Zacharias, Zacharias, go forth and call together the widowers of the people, and let them bring each a rod, and to whomsoever the Lord God shall show a sign, his wife shall she be.'"

Another Qur'anic story connected with the Virgin Mary which Muhammad borrowed from the Apocryphal Gospels, or rather from the lips of his Christian acquaintances, is that of the palm-tree, found in Su'ratu Maryam (xix. 22-5). We there read: -

1 See Tisdall, "The Sources of the Qur'an", pp. 156-8. page 30

"And she conceived him; and retired with him to a distant place; and the pains of childbirth came upon her near the trunk of a palm-tree. She said, would to God I had died before this, and had been a thing forgotten, forgotten quite. And he who was beneath her called to her; 'grieve not thou, thy Lord bath provided a rivulet under thee; and do thou shake the body of the palm-tree, and it shall let fall ripe dates upon thee ready gathered, and eat and drink and calm thy mind.'"

The Gospels on the contrary, tell us that Christ was born in the town of Bethlehem in or near an inn. In this case, again, the source of the story repeated by Muhammad can be clearly traced; for the Apocryphal Christian books contain similar legends and relate many fanciful stories connected with the birth of Jesus. These were popularly repeated amongst the Christians of Arabia, and must often have reached the ears of Muhammad, who doubtless imagined them to be part of the genuine Gospel record. In the Apocryphal work entitled the "History of the Nativity of Mary and the Infancy of the Saviour" the whole story of the palm-tree in its main features may be clearly traced. The few variations in the details may be sufficiently accounted for by the fact that these stories were probably repeated from hearsay; but any careful comparison of the story as found in these spurious Gospels with that repeated by Muhammad in the Qur'an will make it clear that the latter is simply taken from the former, and then represented as a direct revelation from God. That the reader may see how close the resemblances are we give below a quotation from the Apocryphal work mentioned above. After recording the flight of Joseph and Mary with the child Jesus the narrative proceeds, "and Joseph hastened and brought her (Mary) to

1 See Tisdall, "The Sources of the Qur'an", p. 162. page 31

that palm-tree, and took her down off her beast. When Mary sat down she looked up to the top of the palm-tree, and seeing it full of fruit said to Joseph, 'I desire if it be possible, to take of the fruit of this palm-tree.' ..... Then the child Jesus, who with a joyful countenance lay in his mother, the Virgin Mary's bosom, said to the palm-tree, 'O, tree, lower thy branches and refresh my mother with thy fruit.' Instantly the palm-tree at this word bowed its head to the sole of Mary's feet; and they all plucked the fruit which it bore, and were refreshed and the palm-tree instantly stood erect, and streams of very clear, cool, and very sweet water began to come forth from amid its roots."

Every reader of the Qur'an knows that it contains several references to the Lord Jesus Christ, and mentions certain stories connected with His birth, some of which are not to be found in the genuine Gospels. These stories, like that of the palm-tree, can also be traced to Apocryphal sources, and show conclusively whence Muhammad drew the materials which he afterwards recast and embodied in the Qur'an. One of these legends has reference to certain miracles said to have been performed by Christ in His infancy. One allusion to them may be found in Suratu'l-Ma'ida (v. 109-110) where we read:-

page 32

"When God shall say, O Jesus! son of Mary! remember My favour upon thee, and upon thy mother; when I strengthened thee with the Holy Spirit that thou shouldest speak unto men in the cradle and when grown up. And when I taught thee the Scripture and Wisdom and the Law and the Gospel, and when thou didst create of clay as it were the figure of a bird by my permission, and didst breathe thereon, and it became a bird by my permission."

Now the genuine Gospels have nothing of all this; on the contrary, it is distinctly stated that the first miracle of Jesus was wrought after the beginning of His public ministry at thirty years of age. In the Injil (John ii. 11) we read, "This beginning of His signs did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory." A reference to the spurious Gospel of the Infancy," "The Gospel of Thomas the Israelite," and other Apocryphal works, however, makes it clear that the legend must have been current in Arabia in the time of Muhammad. The latter must often have heard it repeated by his Christian contemporaries, and, imagining it to be part of the genuine Gospels, incorporated it into his Qur'an. On no other theory can the extraordinary likeness between the two narratives be accounted for. Let the reader, for example, remembering the Qur'an version quoted above, read the following from the "Gospel of Thomas the Israelite," a spurious and fanciful work of late date which was never regarded as inspired by any Christian sect. It is there written that "The child Jesus when five years of age was playing by the road by a dirty stream of running water and having brought it all together into ditches immediately made it pure and clean, and all this by a single word. Then having moistened some earth he made of it twelve sparrows, .... Jesus clapping his hands at the sparrows cried aloud to them 'Go off.' So they clucking flew away.1

1 For a further account, see Tisdall, "The Sources of the Qur'an," p. 175. page 33

The 'Gospel of the Infancy,' another fanciful romance, also tells us that when Jesus was in the cradle He spoke to His mother, and acquainted her with His Divine Mission.

Much more could be written to show that Muhammad was indebted not a little to the heretical Christians of his time for the legendary tales and religious conceptions which are now found in the Qur'an; but the limits of this little book compel us to be content with one more example. The reader who desires to study the subject further should consult the learned works of Tisdall, Sell and Geiger whence most of the material for these chapters has been drawn.

We cannot conclude this chapter, however, without a reference to the "balance" so frequently referred to in the Qur'an. Islam teaches that at the Judgment Day a balance will be produced in which the actions of men will be weighed. Those whose good deeds preponderate will enter paradise, whilst those whose evil deeds out-weigh the good will be cast into hell. Thus in Su'ratu'l-'Araf (vii. 7, 8), we read:-

"The weighing on that day shall be just; and they whose balances shall be heavy are those who shall be happy; but they whose balances shall be light are those who have lost their souls, for that to Our signs they were unjust."

This conception of the Qur'an is taken from an Apocryphal work entitled the "Testament of Abraham,"1 which

1 Pub1ished in "Texts and Studies," vol. ii, No. 2, and quoted in Tisdall's "The Sources of the Qur'an," p. 200. page 34

was written in the second or third century of the Christian era. A mythical story is there related of the Patriarch Abraham's ascension to heaven, where he beheld, amongst other marvels, the great throne of judgment. And, the story proceeds, "On it sat a marvellous man .... and before him stood a table like unto crystal, all of gold and fine linen. And on the table lay a book; its thickness was six cubits and its breadth ten cubits. And on the right and left of it there stood two angels holding paper and pen and ink. And in front of the table was seated a bright beaming angel holding a balance in his hand ... and the marvellous man who was seated on the throne was himself judging and proving the souls, but the two angels who were on the right and on the left were registering. The one on the right was registering the righteous acts, but the one on the left the sins. And the one in front of the table, the one who held the balance, was weighing the souls." We might go on to show that many other of the doctrines of the Qur'an such as the denial of the death of Christ, the resolving the Christian Trinity into a tri-theism consisting of the Father, the Son and the Virgin Mary were derived by Muhammad from the Gnostic and other heretical sects of Christians who flourished in Arabia in his time. Enough, however, has been written to show that much of the Qur'an can be traced to Apocryphal Christian sources; whilst the Christian reader will also perceive how false is the claim that the former "confirms" the preceding scriptures - the Taurat and Injil.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

alliedone

Animeone
Feb 6, 2004
✟283.00
Faith
Christian
So those christians in arabia? Where did they get all of those stories? I read Mary's gospel and also Phillips. They were interesting. I don't understand why they didn't include Mary's in the bible. Phillip I can understand a little bit, but not Mary's. Oh well. But all of this informations are very good to know. more amunition to let our muslim brothers/sisters know that they are following a not so good religion.

Upvote 0

Curt

Curt
Jan 26, 2004
Puyallup, Washington
✟792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
2 Tim 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Pet 1:20
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2 Sam 14:14
14 For we must needs die, and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again; neither doth God respect any person: yet doth he devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him.
Job 37:24
24 Men do therefore fear him: he respecteth not any that are wise of heart.

I don't know whether God is laughing or crying when He reads these post headings. How could any one imagine that He ever lost anything, or that if He wanted it moved someone could stop Him.

Upvote 0

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is the opinion that God allows us to make mistakes (as translation errors would indicate), even when it comes to His word. Therefore, why, if we have free will (and therefore tremendous responsibility) in regard to His word, would it be necessary that we would never mess up in regards to which books to include? Basically, if we have the free will to make mistakes in God's word, why not the free will to mess up on a larger scale?

Of course, this is a more liberal viewpoint, and one I'm not sure what to make of myself. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Upvote 0

Curt

Curt
Jan 26, 2004
Puyallup, Washington
✟792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Breanainn said:
There is the opinion that God allows us to make mistakes (as translation errors would indicate), even when it comes to His word. Therefore, why, if we have free will (and therefore tremendous responsibility) in regard to His word, would it be necessary that we would never mess up in regards to which books to include? Basically, if we have the free will to make mistakes in God's word, why not the free will to mess up on a larger scale?

Of course, this is a more liberal viewpoint, and one I'm not sure what to make of myself. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
14 For we must needs die, and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again; neither doth God respect any person: yet doth he devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him.

Thats what freewill is all about, we choose to accept Him at His word, which Adam, and Eve didn't do or change it to suit our druthers. For those who don't understand the old time slang we change it to mean what we would rather it said. This was testified to by those interpreters who confessed on some of the boards that they were instructed to interpret according to specified doctrines.

Upvote 0

Curt

Curt
Jan 26, 2004
Puyallup, Washington
✟792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Breanainn said:
I don't really understand what you're saying...

Could you try rephrasing it?

And why did you post that scripture again?

I am going to post those Scriptures at the beginning of all my posts to identify where I am coming from.

What I am saying is God decided what is in The Bible not men, and He knows where everything in this universe is. Those books weren't lost, other than in the minds of those who refuse to accept God's word for what it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Breanainn said:

There have been many words written over the centuries on the life of Jesus and on Christianity in general. Undoubtedly many have been spiritually inspired, and spiritually inspiring. Even today there are many good books on Christian living that are still being written, and are not being added to scripture.
Which to include and which to include requires a decision to be made. In terms of which books to include and which to exclude from the New Testament and the Apopchrypha, the criteria used to make such a decison
is not entirely known. For example, the Gospel of Thomas, found among Gnostic writing in Egypt is very similar to many of the sayings of Jesus in the New Testament. Even if it is written in a different style than the 4 gospels included, it is very possible that it was not considered heretical when the the decision was made. Possibly it was excluded simply because it was not considered of the same quality as Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, or perhaps it was not even known by them.
Other books were specifically excluded because they were most definetely heretical, and contradicted the stories that were understood to be the most authentic. There were for example early sects of Christianity that worshipped Mary. Writings from these sects would have directly contradicted the included works and therefore would have to be excluded.
Other books, which contained a more fantastic and magical quality to them also were generally frowned upon by those making the decision. For example, stories in which the infant Jesus is portrayed as talking, or doing magical tricks may have appealed to the popular imagination of many of the primitive people of the time, but were too incredulous by the compilers. However, as has been pointed out, it is precisely these stories that most appealed to the early followers of Mohammed, steeped as they were in the magical thinking of genies and the like.
Looking at what was included, it becomes evident that one of the criteria used in choosing what was most inspired was how well the story flowed from the Old Testament scripture. Allusions and fulfillment of prophecies from the Old Testament and Apocrypha abound in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Curt said:
I am going to post those Scriptures at the beginning of all my posts to identify where I am coming from.

Ok.

Curt said:
What I am saying is God decided what is in The Bible not men, and He knows where everything in this universe is. Those books weren't lost, other than in the minds of those who refuse to accept God's word for what it is.

That's a perfectly valid belief, as long as you realize not all Christians hold that belief. :)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Any scribing errors of the New Testament in particular have been minor. comparisons of the many early manuscripts that exist demonstrate this clearly. Although there was a discovery from the Dead Sea Scrolls which led to the Catholic Church to amend a line or two of one of the Old Testament Books, the Masoretic texts have to my knowledge been proven to be remarkably accurate.
In terms of whether there has been anything of major exlusions, John himself admits as much in the Gospel that bears his name. Paraphrasing, his comment was something to the effect that all the books ever written would still not be enough to contain the works that Jesus performed. No book could even begin to contain the full majesty of God.
However, there is no real need for concern. What has already been written and contained within the pages of the Bible has proven more than sufficient to reveal that God has a plan and is working towards our salvation. As it is, the Bible contains much more about God than any of us can even begin to grasp.

Upvote 0

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
solomon said:
In terms of whether there has been anything of major exlusions, John himself admits as much in the Gospel that bears his name. Paraphrasing, his comment was something to the effect that all the books ever written would still not be enough to contain the works that Jesus performed. No book could even begin to contain the full majesty of God.
So are you saying that these "lost books" may in fact be truth, even though they are not considered canon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Breanainn said:
So are you saying that these "lost books" may in fact be truth, even though they are not considered canon?
What "lost books" are we talking about? :confused:
If any ancient manuscript contradicts the accepted scripture, from a Christian perspective, it cannot be held to be true.
If it is canon, then that is to say that an early consensus of a council of Christians agreed that these writings can be trusted. From their vantage point of being close to the history of Jesus Himself, it is likely that they had knowledge when making their decisions that is no longer available to us moderns. If Christians trust that these decisions were being guided by the Holy Spirit, we can trust in their choice. When we are no longer able to trust the choices that were made, faith in any Scripture becomes impossible. In fact, Faith itself becomes precarious.
That is not say that there anything else that is excluded is necessarily heretical or false. There is truth that exists outside of Scripture and on a personal level, we can believe many things to be true, and of value.

Upvote 0

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
solomon said:
What "lost books" are we talking about? :confused:

The "lost books" refer to books like the Gospel of Thomas and similar books. I forget all the names of them.

This question, however, could even extend to the Acropypha (I have no clue how to properly spell that).

Upvote 0

Biarien

Dúnadan
Mar 19, 2004
California
✟18,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I know. I meant the question could extend to the Apocrypha (wow, I was way off) because they're considered non-canon by Protestant Christians.

Of course, solomon is a Catholic, but for others reading this thread, his views could apply to the Apocrypha as well as the "lost books."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.