Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Aramaic is spoken in some villages in Syria. They are Assyrians from Syria.
You must be multilingual then; as well as good English and Aramaic, you probably speak standard Arabic (and maybe even some French from Lebanon next door? and Syria itself was administered by France at one stage).

As well as your musical appreciation, your children will have potentially a good language heritage, right?

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You must be multilingual then; as well as good English and Aramaic, you probably speak standard Arabic (and maybe even some French from Lebanon next door? and Syria itself was administered by France at one stage).

As well as your musical appreciation, your children will have potentially a good language heritage, right?
I was born in Iraq to an Assyrian family. My first language is Aramaic. Unfortunately like most kids now a days I stopped going to Sunday school at the Assyrian church, where we were learning to read and write in Aramaic... I speak Arabic and Greek (read and write in Greek as well)... as well as English. My husband is Armenian from Turkey... so we try to teach our kids everything we know! :)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was born in Iraq to an Assyrian family. My first language is Aramaic. Unfortunately like most kids now a days I stopped going to Sunday school at the Assyrian church, where we were learning to read and write in Aramaic... I speak Arabic and Greek (read and write in Greek as well)... as well as English. My husband is Armenian from Turkey... so we try to teach our kids everything we know! :)
An excellent linguistic heritage! and there's also a big Armenian community in Toronto East End, partly centred on Victoria Park and 401.

(But I guess we are getting off topic.)

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
An excellent linguistic heritage! and there's also a big Armenian community in Toronto East End, partly centred on Victoria Park and 401.

(But I guess we are getting off topic.)
That is so awesome to know! Thanks for telling me, I honestly had no idea. How do you know this area? Are you from Toronto?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No; but Egypt did have King Farouk! :) (Al Mamlaka Al-Missriya; for those who don't know, Kingdom of Egypt.)
Haha, yes! I knew its an Egyptian name. Blessings to you and your family, brother!

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My first language is Aramaic. Unfortunately like most kids now a days I stopped going to Sunday school at the Assyrian church, where we were learning to read and write in Aramaic... I speak Arabic and Greek (read and write in Greek as well)... as well as English. ...
So do you have any Assyrian books to read if you eventually want to get into reading it again? (Re. Armenian, it looks very distinct...)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My grandfather, owns an amazing library of really good old Aramaic books... but I cannot read them, unfortunately. This makes me very sad.
I guess a lot of them would have been printed in Iraq or Syria.

Upvote 0