✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey yall!

I am wondering about the dos and donts of the lords day (sunday) can we watch football?, take a nap?. Just give me the dos and donts, greatly appreciated:)
Under the law when they lived in the wilderness the most they were allowed to walk was to the toilet. That is why the camp ground was shaped like a foot because the toilet was to be a required distance from where they lived. One person was actually stoned to death for gathering firewood on the sabbath. Under the law they understood that the wages of sin is death.

The problem with watching football on Sunday is you are requiring someone to work. But nurses work in the hospital, and then they take another day off. As Jesus said what man would not work on the sabbath if their animal fell into a hole. They accused Him of performing miracles and healing on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Michael!
The "Lord's Day" is the "Day of the Lord" which is the time of great conflagration that takes place at Christ's return. No one will be napping or watching football at that time. :eek:
This won't be a popular answer but you are correct. John saw a vision that spanned a great deal of time but the weight was all on things leading to the end time, that great day, known as the Lord's Day or The Day of the Lord. TRADITION began calling the day of resurrection the Lord's Day, but that comes out of tradition.

To answer the OP's question... if the Sunday is Sabbath to you... then treat it as such. Rest, do no occupational work.... congregate and worship. Read Hebrews 4:1-10 closely.... looking at different versions especially for verse 9 where some version will use a work you don't expect... and that word is accurate. It should read Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is religion-enforced rituals that are restrictive. How can you get any rest with all those commanded assemblies and activities. Rest is an organic thing and takes time, 24 hours at least. The word means rest, repose, not spend the day getting family ready, travelling, sitting in ritual services, followed by more church activities. Where's the rest and repose?
Yes... but if you read Lev. 23, authored by God Himself... Sabbath is also a holy convocation, a set apart gathering. So rest? Yes.. and gather and worship? Yes.

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Hey yall!

I am wondering about the dos and donts of the lords day (sunday) can we watch football?, take a nap?. Just give me the dos and donts, greatly appreciated:)
The one religion that covered the entire Roman empire at the time of John was ‘Caesar worship’.
Every emperor after Caesar was considered to be divine. Not to worship the emperor as God was to
be considered an atheist.

Domitian informed all governors that government announcements and proclamations must begin
with; “our Lord and God Domitian commands…”. Everyone must call Domitian God or die.
When John was brought before the emperor to be judged he was asked if he was an atheist that
refused to declare Caesar as God. And so John confessed his faith and allegiance to Yeshua the King of Israel. Domitian threatening death commanded John be boiled in oil. But as John was preaching from the pot of boiling oil it did not kill him. Amazed by John’s divine protection he steps out and leaves.

Nobody was about to stop him because they knew the power of God was with him. It was this very
miracle that brought the cousin of Domitian to faith in Yeshua. Whom Domitian later executed for
being an atheist. Because Domitian could not kill John he exiled him to the island of Patmos.
That’s where John wrote these words: “On the Lords day I was in the spirit” Revelation 1:10

Many Christians wrongly assume that John was referring to Sunday, yet he was actually referring to a
specific day of the year on the Roman calendar. A reference anyone reading the prophecy at the time
would have understood.

Domitian took the idea that he was deity very seriously. Other religions were tolerated as long as they did not conflict with Caesar worship. This became a problem for believers as well as religious Jews who did not believe in Yeshua.

Once a year everyone in the empire had to appear before the magistrates in order to burn incense to
the godhead Caesar and say Caesar is Lord was treason. This yearly event was called “the Lord’s Day”.

This is what John was referring to, not Sunday.

Believers knowing John’s history with the emperor, defying him and surviving, understand the
significance of the Lord giving John his revelation of this specific day. It was meant to highlight the
theme of the book of Revelation which can be found over and over again in it’s pages. “Stand firm in
the faith even unto death”.

John was chosen to write the book because he already chosen death over capitulation. In addition to
be thrown into a vat of oil he was on the island because of his faith. Consider what John says here:
I John your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours
in Yeshua was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Yeshua.
Revelation 1:9 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you the devil will put some of
you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful even to the point of
death and I will give you life as your victors crown. Revelation 2:10 To the one who is victorious and
does my will to the end I will give authority over the nations. Revelation 2:26 They triumphed over
him by the blood of the lamb and by the word of their testimony. They did not love their lives so
much as to shrink from death. Revelation 12:11 If anyone is to go into captivity into captivity they will go, if anyone is to be killed with the sword with the sword they will be killed. This calls for patient
endurance and faithfulness on the part of God’s people. Revelation 13:10 This calls for patient
endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Yeshua.
Revelation 14:12

It was no accident that God chose to give John this revelation on the very day that virtually every
believer under Roman rule, many believers, would be confronted yet again with this crucial test of
loyalty. Caesar or Yeshua? A test which for some could mean death. Those believers would
understand both the reference and it’s implication.

Many Christians were thrown to the lions refusing to confess that Caesar was Lord.
Sadly, many believers today miss the point of what Paul wrote to the Romans at the seat of Caesar
worship.

If you declare with your mouth Yeshua is Lord and believe in your hear that God raised him from the
dead you will be saved. Romans 10:9

This wasn’t as simple as it is today. Once you understand the background of Caesar worship and the
persecution it entailed you suddenly realize that to publicly confess that Yeshua was Lord was in
essence to say I am willing to die for my faith in Yeshua. What Paul is doing here is indirectly
addressing the issue of commitment. Because to confess Yeshua was equivalent to confessing that
Caesar was in fact NOT your Lord.

The ‘Lord’s Day’ reference was a reference to persecution. Not referring to Sunday at all. It makes
more sense to understand that John was referring to the one day of the year that the faith of every
believer in the empire would be tested to the hilt, as he is writing a book to encourage them to
overcome persevere and not give into persecution.

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey yall!

Dos:

Whatever you want

Don’ts:

The above if it’s illegal or hurtful

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Once a year everyone in the empire had to appear before the magistrates in order to burn incense to
the godhead Caesar and say Caesar is Lord was treason. This yearly event was called “the Lord’s Day”.

I don't remember hearing this before...interesting. I've always heard that the "Lord's Day" was referring to the day of the Lord, as in Joel 2:31:

"31The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD."

Could be referencing both. One thing I do not believe that it is referencing is the first day of the week. This is the day that I like to get many things done, that I couldn't get to during the rest of the week...lately, it has become rain stick day!

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know He is REAL! Just like the song.. He walks with us talks with us.. so ask Him. Is not HE the one your trying to want to looking to please? Like the song playing now.. LIVE LIKE YOUR LOVED! Hawk nelson.

He LOVES YOU! This is not do or DIE! :)

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found an article online which really does xplain it well.
The article brings up circumcision. We do NOT have to have our flesh cut but we DO have to have our heart circumcised. Deut 30:36 "The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live."

Deuteronomy 10:16
Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.

Are we to follow the law of circumcision Absolutely, circumcise of the heart. This is not for children, this is for adults to understand and follow the righteous requirements of the law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no basses to claim [the Lords day]
mentioned by John is even a day of the week.
The Sabbath is also the 1,000 year reign of Christ when we will rule and reign with Christ here on this earth. This is what Paul means: to enter into His rest. Hebrews 4:11 "Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest,"

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟408,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath is also the 1,000 year reign of Christ when we will rule and reign with Christ here on this earth. This is what Paul means: to enter into His rest. Hebrews 4:11 "Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest,"

Yes the 7th day Sabbath is a shadow of things to come, the 7th 1000 years of man in the mil.

2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

This is when Jesus gives us our promised rest.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Under the law when they lived in the wilderness the most they were allowed to walk was to the toilet. That is why the camp ground was shaped like a foot because the toilet was to be a required distance from where they lived. One person was actually stoned to death for gathering firewood on the sabbath. Under the law they understood that the wages of sin is death.

The problem with watching football on Sunday is you are requiring someone to work. But nurses work in the hospital, and then they take another day off. As Jesus said what man would not work on the sabbath if their animal fell into a hole. They accused Him of performing miracles and healing on the Sabbath.

Sunday is the 1st day of the week, not the 7th.

• Agree
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey yall!

You can do anything you want. Sunday is not about rules and don't get caught up in that, just go to Church and don't sweat the rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sunday is the 1st day of the week, not the 7th.
The 7th day Adventists talk about this. In the world people do their drinking and are most evil on the day they consider to be the most Holy day of the week. For me I look at what everyone everywhere says about something. There are going to be very liberal and very conservative opinions. From there we can balance it out and see what works for us. For me it seems pretty conservative to stone someone for gathering wood on the Sabbath. Yet Jesus did not condemn the women caught in Adultery. Solomon was the son of Bathsheba the women that commuted adultery with David. Jesus is descended from David though his son Solomon. (Matthew 1:7)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The 7th day Adventists talk about this. In the world people do their drinking and are most evil on the day they consider to be the most Holy day of the week.

I don't think they are conscious of that fact. I wasn't when I was young and sinful. I felt no guilt for partying on Saturday night or nursing a hangover on Sunday.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is built on tradition, not the bible.
You and I both cannot prove which day John was referring to nor can anyone else.

Yes Semper-Fi, church tradition supports the first day as the Lord's day. In order to differ from the stated church tradition you need to apply an alternate interpretation to the scripture. I have a strong interpretation and church tradition to support the first day as the Lord's day.

All you have is an alternate interpretation.

The first day in John's time did not have a name for that day but the Sabbath day in Israel had a name for the day. It is most unlikely that John renamed the seventh day, the Sabbath day of the Jewish week.

It is almost beyond doubt that John was simply referring to the first day as the Lord's day.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think they are conscious of that fact. I wasn't when I was young and sinful. I felt no guilt for partying on Saturday night or nursing a hangover on Sunday.
I remember when I was young I thought there were little old ladys somewhere that thought what I was doing was wrong. But no one else seems to thing so and I did not associate them with church at all because I had no idea what church people believed.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hey yall!

There aren't any dos and don'ts.

The Lord's Day is simply the first day of the week which is when Christians have historically gathered together, in honor of Christ's resurrection, for worship, for the receiving and celebration of God's Word and Sacraments (i.e. going to church). It's not the only day we gather, as historically Christians can (and have) gathered throughout the week, but Sunday has always held significance as the primary day of worship since the time of the Apostles, as it honors the day Christ rose.

However the Lord's Day is not the Sabbath, as such there are no rules surrounding what can and can't be done on it.

Some claim that Sunday is the "new Sabbath" but this has never been historic teaching of the Church. Simply put, the Sabbath was given exclusively to the Jews as part of their covenant with God; that covenant does not apply to us. Indeed, in the new covenant which we have in Christ the old observation of the Sabbath has its fuller significance in our rest in Christ, the peace and reconciliation we have with God on account of what Christ has done, so we read in Colossians chapter 2,

"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." - Colossians 2:16-17

And the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews wrote,

"Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, 'Today,' saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted,

'Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.'

For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
" - Hebrews 4:6-10

Today, right now, is that rest; for the Gospel brings us into the reality of God's rest, which is in Christ. For Christ has secured for us rest, a ceasing of our labors, and the futility we formerly found ourselves in. For by the grace of God we have come into the dwelling place of God, seated at His Table, and joined the household of faith which is in Christ. Therefore we find our rest not on this or that day, but rather today, in Christ. Christ is our Sabbath today.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0