The League of Aldonadi: Timeless Wisdom

"Oh, hey Xander," Morgan said as he approached, then listened to what he had to say. "I've no qualms with it. Just a word of advice, though: we may have to face aldonadi in the future, and when that happens, stay out of the way. If we can't deal with them, neither can you. I don't mean to sound smug or high-and-mighty, but that's the way of it."
"She right, Xander," Shale opined between bites, "You can stick with me, if that happens. I'm not even close to their level, yet, so I'll be sitting out those fights, too. But yeah, you're more than welcome to join us. We don't know very much yet, so there isn't much to brief you on."
"You hungry?" Morgan asked, "Thirsty? Grab a seat and we'll talk things over."

(((If Xander's going to sit with them, you have then bring Xander up to speed. I don't think we need to rehash the details. Unless, you need them rehashed.)))

Upvote 0
R

rockerchic

Rokter had been standing with head down, still outside Derve's room and trying to think. Trying, because Rokter was not a thinking man. He understood the value of thought, but to be the author of thought took a lot out of him. Thus he was glad when a young woman interrupted him suddenly.

"Heya. Love ya honesty," he remarked, looking her over. He didn't have to look as far down as for most women, and it was well worth the look. Name's Rokter o' Hapri." A wicked grinn twitched the corners of his mouth. "And ya? Lemme guess... Honey?"

This guy didn't seem mch like Kaldeth or Seth at all. He was much less well spoken, and a little more friendly. Though she couldn't be certain of anything. She gave him an offset look, Honey? no one called her huney. She responded very proudly. "I am Terrania Ventura, daughter of Master Victor Ventura. May, i ask what your buisness is in Lupix?"

Xander was actually quite hungry. He sat with the two and ate as they filled him in on the task at hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cyberwing

Blessed beyond the curse!
Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nevena walked on by since neither seemed to notice her and headed for her door.

Kaldeth headed in the door of the Charter Hotel, carrying a sack of food. He had stopped to get some things on the way to their room. The current turn of events required some serious thinking about how to get Nevena with all the interfering goons around. He needed to re-think his strategy completely. The riot had been intended to lure her out with her friends so that he could separate her from them but that hadn't worked out. It had cost him plenty in gadgets though and those were now gone much to his chagrin.

"Got any suggestions little bro', be sure to pop 'em off to me. Nevena is a slippery little..." he didn't finish because they reached the door and he had to stop and fumble for the key.

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Torrent? You haven't read about Torrent? It's got amazing attacks that can attack several enemies at once, within a certain radius of the wielder. I saw it in action once and that was all it took. I knew I had to have that sword. With it and Launcher, I would have been almost invincible. Nevena didn't need to be carrying a blade anyway...haughty little snip of a female. I don't think women should be allowed to carry Aldonadian blades myself, they are too emotional and irrational." Kaldeth told his little brother, grinning as he bit into the food he brought up to the room.

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

I live to protect the flock...
May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This guy didn't seem mch like Kaldeth or Seth at all. He was much less well spoken, and a little more friendly. Though she couldn't be certain of anything. She gave him an offset look, Honey? no one called her huney. She responded very proudly. "I am Terrania Ventura, daughter of Master Victor Ventura. May, i ask what your buisness is in Lupix?

Rokter was quite amused. Aldonadians half his age always stood so stiffly, like they had wooden backbones, and spoke with such drama, flaunting their status. He would have found it boring, were he not Rokter. extending his hand, he grinned more widely. "Ya, ya can ask me anythin', Miss Ventura... Bein's one thing..."

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nevena went inside and dropped her things by the door after closing it. She made a beeline for her computer terminal and started it up. While it booted she moved to take off her jacket. She stretched and went to make a cup of tea. Now that she had some information she needed to start formulating a plan.

Upvote 0
R

rockerchic

Too emotional and irrartional, that pretty much summed up Kaldeth for you. Seth smiled , "Your right. They just cant even compare to us."

............................................................................................

Terra found Rackter's form of speech very distasteful. She spoke proper and fluently. "What might that one thing be?"

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

I live to protect the flock...
May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rokter kept his hand extended. He noticed that she made no move to accept this simple courtesy. Pride. Mentally, he drew a line between them. She was now an opponent, if a passing one, and his goal was to annoy her. Not because he was offended, it was just fun to cut down those who walked too high.

"Firs', shake me hand," he said slowly. "then... ya gotta go out wi' me." The veiled laughter in his tone said he really did not expect her to find this funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
"And that brings us up to when we joined you, so to speak," Morgan ended, "Now, I'm sure you know that the majority of this is confidential to the public, but most of the details seem pretty well known around the palace."
"Speaking of the case," Shale said, setting down his cup, "What's our next plan?"
"Hmm..." she thought for a second, "I'm not sure. You're the cop, you've investigated murders before, right?"
"Well, sort of," Shale lied. He had been involved in a number of murder investigations, but solving them had not exactly been his responsibility. He was a footman, a street soldier if you will. If he did not seen the crime happening, it was not exactly his job to solve it. That was up to the investigators, while Shale had ideas that he would be one someday, but he was busy arresting the bad guys, not studying their crimes. At least, until the sword was thrust into his open palm.
"Well, what's the first thing they do in a murder investigation?" Morgan asked, shaking him from his daydream.
Shale knew that one, "Well, normally, they study the crime scene; but that's going to be a bit hard to do."
"Naw, we'll just borrow one of the holorooms and recreate the scene. That's perfect. We'll round everyone together and do it at the same time. Better chance to spot something, right?"
"When?" Shale asked.
"Well, we should probably get the general in with us too, since he saw it firsthand, but why not make it after dinner tonight? We should all be together then, right?"
"Sounds good," Shale commented, "Though we should let everyone know so that they don't make other plans."
"I'll take care of it," Morgan said, "I want to go over some files anyway. You can have a little downtime after lunch."
"Oh," Shale said suddenly, "There's a small problem; everyone's probably going to eat at separate times, like we did. We're probably the last ones to eat, you know."
"You're right. Well, let's say about eight-ish and we'll just get everyone together. You'll be there, right Xander? You're part of the team now."

Upvote 0
R

rockerchic

Terr's patience were being tested. She crossed her arms and refused to shake his hand. She still wasn't sure if he were a friend or foe, and shaking hands with the enemy was never a good idea. "Listen, if you don't have a place in the palace i can call the guards over right now to remove you . Or i could just do it myself." Terra placed her hand on the hilt of her sword down by her waist.

Part of the team now. That sounded pretty nice to Xander. he had alway been a loner, had never really beeen a part of something before. "Yea, i'll be there. I look forward to meeting the rest of your team."

Upvote 0
Later that ebening, everyone gathered in one of the holographic halls. It was dark, but not in the natural sense. It was dark with true darkness, with aether energy.
(Better authors have described the difference between the absence of something and the opposite of something. Most people believe that the opposite of heat is cold. That is not true; cold is merely the absence of heat. In the same respect, darkness as we know it is only the absence of light, not its opposite. The opposite of light would be an energy, a sort of negative light, making things appear as they do in the negatives of a photograph. This is aether energy.)
The hologram hall glowed, albeit dimly, in the aether. Everyone gathered as General Palin programed in the scene of the assassination. Slowly, the images began to take shape, merge into one, and suddenly everything was its right color.
"Here it is," General Palin said, "This hologram was taken when the body was first discovered."
"When was that?" Shale said, squinting awkwardly.
"In the morning," he replied, "about six or seven of the clock."
"When was the time of death?"
"The autopsy placed it about midnight."
"Why was the body so late in being found?"
"King Tristan knew of no enemies. We stationed a guard at the door all the same. No one came in or out by the door. His story checked with surveillance."
"Wait, if you keep--"
"The surveillance inside the king's bedroom was compromised. The data was corrupted to such an extent we couldn't recover anything. I'm sorry, son, but this is all we have. What's wrong with your eye?"
Shale had been squinting and blinking, and finally had placed a hand over his one eye. "It's my implant," he explained, "It doesn't handle aether too well."
What his good eye (and everyone else's eyes) saw was the king's chamber. It was rather small, obviously not meant for much beside sleeping. The floor was carpeted in a rich and thick weave of lavender colour. Only three pieces of furniture ornimented the room: a small, wooden nightstand without any drawers, a plain, black box chest which sat at the foot of the bed, and the bed itself. The bed was a canopy bed with white curtains and skirt. The curtains were drawn back on the one side where the king lay dead, opposite of the nightstand.
He was beheaded, and his head lay less then a foot from the neck. The carpet was still a little wet with blood, but most had soaked into the carpet, leaving only a grotesque stain. The body was chest down, clothed in a linen bed robe. Two points of red splotched the robe: one around the middle of the back, another (the larger of the two) around the right shoulder. There was more gore on the nearby walls and on the bed skirt, but the bed itself was clean.
There was no other visible entrances to the room other than the door.

(((I'm out of time for now. Feel free to make some evidence or draw some conclusions. As long as it's not extremely wrong, it'll stay.)))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cyberwing

Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nevena studied the image and began her observations aloud. "Well King Tristan it appears, was not killed as he slept. The blood and gore are on the walls and carpet but the bed is relatively clean."

"Also note, he has two wounds he apparently received before being beheaded because of the amount of blood. The shoulder and there in the middle of his back. The shoulder probably being the deeper wound because of the amount of blood around it. So how did the attacker get the King in both the front and back at the same time? Sounds to me like there existed more than one attacker. It would be hard to strike at a man from both of those positions at the same time even from the side. Angle of entry would help tell us more..."
Nevena continued to study the hologram.

"Beheading always produces a vast amount of blood since both the carotid artery and jugular veins are both severed. That accounts for the carpet and walls. From viewing this scene like this I would venture to guess this was an execution style slaying. His being found on the bed is also interesting. Why did the killers bother to move him after the heinous deed was done? Was this a statement to us?" Nevena added, then stopped to look around at the others.

"I'm merely making observations out loud, please feel free to jump in with your own interpretations."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
"I can answer one of those questions," the general explained, "The wounds in the back entered through the front and cut all the way through. I say cut because they are consistent with stab wounds."
"Are there any other weapons that could have caused that type of injury?" Shale asked.
"Hypothetically, yes, but what exactly were you thinking?"
"Well, this chest wound would have been enough to kill him, don't you think?"
"Hard to say. If he wasn't found until morning, probably. It missed the heart but pierced a lung. That's probably why he didn't call for help."
"But couldn't the beheading be to cover up the mortal wound, or maybe to mask some other attack? It's just... with all the weird weapons, maybe they cut his head off to mask the use of one of these weapons."
"I suppose it is possible."
"Too systematic," Morgan muttered.
"What was that?" Shale asked.
"Well, the wounds are too... planned out. The lungs to keep him for calling help, the shoulder probably to stop a counterattack, and the head to finish it. It's either someone sloppy who got lucky or someone with real skill. And I think the latter is more likely."
"You mean he wasn't aiming for the heart?"
"Well, it's impossible to say, but it seems likely to me."
"You have a point," the general said, "but we don't really need to know what killed him. The who and why would be nice though. How he got in and out would be nice too."
A couple sighs resonated in the otherwise silence.

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nevena nodded, "Yes, I agree with you Morgan. I think the wounds were precisely planned. Now what about how they got past the guard? Do you have surveillance for the entire night of the king's door? If so may we see that and may I have a copy of it to enhance digitally?"

Upvote 0
"Yes, we can do that. Computer, bring up the surveillance video in a separate view." It did so. To Nevana, the general said, "Feel free to adjust the speed however you'd like. Our boys scoured the feed thoroughly and found nothing. I wouldn't mind if you would prove them wrong, though."
"What was in the chest?" Shale asked.
"Some of the king's things. It was locked and we could not find the key. We thought that perhaps some sort of evidence might have been hidden in there, but there was nothing of interest."
"How did you get it open?" Morgan asked.
"We found the key later. We weren't exactly worried about it; the chest wasn't going anywhere."
"Maybe it was," Shale said.
"How do you mean?" the general asked.
"It's possible the assassin hid in the chest," Morgan explained.
"Right," Shale added.
"Good in theory, but there were no biometric readings in the room or the chest. We scanned them thoroughly, too."
"Robots, then?"
"Robots give off a signature trail too; and there were none of them."
"What about magic? Xander?"
"Magic also leaves a sort of residue," General Palin fielded for him, "Something about thought patterns, I'm told. Xander could explain it better, I've no doubt; but we had magi go over the room too and they read nothing."
"Well I'm jiggered," Shale said in frustration, "I don't know who could have done this."
The general laughed. "Join the club, son."

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Can you give me a copy or send it to my terminal so I can play with it for a while. This may take some time..." Nevena explained to the General.

"I don't see anything yet...but we often miss things at first look." Nevena shrugged and looked around at the others.

Upvote 0