Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
When Torah and the prophetic word provide instruction in righteousness that directs the mind to the past, they establish in God's Word a system of memorial and remembrance for our edification, exhortation and comfort that establish the hearer in the word of faith. Fourteen times in the Debarim of Moses, which we call Deuteronomy, he uses the admonition: remember!

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

The relationship of faith and Torah that Paul spoke of should become quite evident.

Romans 9:
30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness,
even the righteousness of faith;
31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained unto the law of righteousness.
32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law.
For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.
33 As it is written:
“Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense,
And whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.”

Here is one example from the Debarim:
Deuteronomy 8:
1 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live,
and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the Lord swore unto your fathers.
2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness,
to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart,
whether thou would keep his commandments, or not.
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna,
which thou knew not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that
man does not live by bread only, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.
4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.
5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chastens his son, so the Lord thy God chastens thee.
6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

And we can clearly see as a demonstration of a word of the faith of Jesus Christ,
quoting this to rebuke the tempter.
What great encouragement for our faith, to know that Israel walked in the wilderness forty years,
and their feet did not swell, nor did their clothing wear out!

Matthew 4:
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God,
command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God

Paul then continues:

Romans 10:
1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness,
have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes.
5 For Moses describes the righteousness which is of the law,
That the man which does those things shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaks on this wise, Say not in thine heart,
Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is,
the word of faith, which we preach

And from where does this word of faith originate? The Debarim.

Deuteronomy 30:
11 For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off.
12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us,
that we may hear it and do it?
13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us,
14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Romans 10:
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart
that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness,
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
We employ this system of remembrance to our life experiences to remain anchored in our faith.
Peter clearly had one particular experience that he refers back to as a definitive moment.

2 Peter 1:
12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them,
and be established in the present truth.

13 Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
15 Moreover I will endeavor that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming
of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory,
This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereof ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light
that shines in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arises in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God
spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 3:
1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which
I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets,
and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Savior:

Ephesians 2:
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens
with the saints and members of the household of God,
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Last edited:

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When Torah and the prophetic word provide instruction in righteousness that directs the mind to the past, they establish in God's Word a system of memorial and remembrance for our edification, exhortation and comfort that establish the hearer in the word of faith. Fourteen times in the Debarim of Moses, which we call Deuteronomy, he uses the admonition: remember!

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

The relationship of faith and Torah that Paul spoke of should become quite evident.

Romans 9:
30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness,
even the righteousness of faith;
31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained unto the law of righteousness.
32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law.
For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.
33 As it is written:
“Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense,
And whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.”

Here is one example from the Debarim:
Deuteronomy 8:
1 All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live,
and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the Lord swore unto your fathers.
2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness,
to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart,
whether thou would keep his commandments, or not.
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna,
which thou knew not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that
man does not live by bread only, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.
4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.
5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chastens his son, so the Lord thy God chastens thee.
6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

And we can clearly see as a demonstration of a word of the faith of Jesus Christ,
quoting this to rebuke the tempter.
What great encouragement for our faith, to know that Israel walked in the wilderness forty years,
and their feet did not swell, nor did their clothing wear out!

Matthew 4:
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God,
command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God

Paul then continues:

Romans 10:
1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness,
have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes.
5 For Moses describes the righteousness which is of the law,
That the man which does those things shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaks on this wise, Say not in thine heart,
Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is,
the word of faith, which we preach

And from where does this word of faith originate? The Debarim.

Deuteronomy 30:
11 For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off.
12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us,
13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us,
14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.

Romans 10:
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart
that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness,
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
We employ this system of remembrance to our life experiences to remain anchored in our faith.
Peter clearly had one particular experience that he refers back to as a definitive moment.

2 Peter 1:
12 Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them,

13 Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
15 Moreover I will endeavor that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming
17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory,
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereof ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light
that shines in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arises in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God
spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 3:
1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which
I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets,
and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Savior:

Ephesians 2:
19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens
with the saints and members of the household of God,
20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
And your point is? If we don't know our history we don't know who we are or where we are headed.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If we don't know our history we don't know who we are or where we are headed.
That would be yours.Mine was stated. Peter makes clear what the point is.

2 Peter 1:

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That would be yours.Mine was stated. Peter makes clear what the point is.
One of the passages you quoted from Deuteronomy makes my point for me.

Deu 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deu 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

That cancels out your entire theology as scripture must all agree for God does not argue with Himself. Moses is already saying the law is written in their hearts and thus they could keep the commandments if they so chose.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the passages you quoted from Deuteronomy makes my point for me.

That cancels out your entire theology as scripture must all agree for God does not argue with Himself. Moses is already saying the law is written in their hearts and thus they could keep the commandments if they so chose.
It would then cancel all of Paul's theology.
It has nothing to do with your point.
If we don't know our history we don't know who we are or where we are headed.
What history are you referring to?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It would then cancel all of Paul's theology.
It has nothing to do with your point.

What history are you referring to?
Humanity's history. How can my point cancel out Paul's theology and yet have nothing to do with what I said?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Humanity's history. How can my point cancel out Paul's theology and yet have nothing to do with what I said?
The OP has nothing to do with Humanity's history. The OP shows how Deuteronomy teaches lessons in righteousness both by commandments, statutes, judgments, and ordinances, but also speaks prophetically as Paul describes 1 Co 14:
3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
These Debarim come in the form of memorials and remembrances. It is there we find the lessons of faith, not in the works of the Law, but in the Lord's proven faithfulness.
You totally misrepresent the OP claiming it is some cliche'd "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". Fail. Then you argue against your own misrepresentation, claiming you destroy my entire theology by proving nothing but your own failure to comprehend. I have no apologies to offer if the OP went over your head.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The OP has nothing to do with Humanity's history. The OP shows how Deuteronomy teaches lessons in righteousness both by commandments, statutes, judgments, and ordinances, but also speaks prophetically as Paul describes 1 Co 14:
3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
These Debarim come in the form of memorials and remembrances. It is there we find the lessons of faith, not in the works of the Law, but in the Lord's proven faithfulness.
You totally misrepresent the OP claiming it is some cliche'd "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". Fail. Then you argue against your own misrepresentation, claiming you destroy my entire theology by proving nothing but your own failure to comprehend. I have no apologies to offer if the OP went over your head.
Actually it does. God's word takes in the history of humanity and His eternal law. Sin is the transgression of the law and Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden. Moses said that the law was already written in their hearts at least a thousand years before the promise of the new covenant made through Jeremiah and before the Israelites entered Canaan That is a very significant amount of time.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually it does. God's word takes in the history of humanity and His eternal law. Sin is the transgression of the law and Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden. Moses said that the law was already written in their hearts at least a thousand years before the promise of the new covenant made through Jeremiah and before the Israelites entered Canaan That is a very significant amount of time.
Fine. But the lessons discussed from Deuteronomy focus on Israel from the Exodus through 40 years in the wilderness. Just prior to Joshua leading them into the promised land, Moses recounts the lessons from that specific history of those particular people. They are lessons in faith that the NT is built on.
Deuteronomy 4:
32 For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it?
33 Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?
34 Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the Lord your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35 Unto thee it was shewed, that you might know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him.
36 Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and you heard his words out of the midst of the fire.
37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt

This is our legacy of faith

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Fine. But the lessons discussed from Deuteronomy focus on Israel from the Exodus through 40 years in the wilderness. Just prior to Joshua leading them into the promised land, Moses recounts the lessons from that specific history of those particular people. They are lessons in faith that the NT is built on.
Deuteronomy 4:
32 For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other, whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is, or hath been heard like it?
33 Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live?
34 Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by temptations, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors, according to all that the Lord your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35 Unto thee it was shewed, that you might know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him.
36 Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he shewed thee his great fire; and you heard his words out of the midst of the fire.
37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt

This is our legacy of faith
I'll give you credit as there are a lot of Christians who say there that the Jewish system had nothing to do with faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'll give you credit as there are a lot of Christians who say there that the Jewish system had nothing to do with faith.
That is because they never had to make pilgrimage to Jerusalem for a feast day and entrust their borders to the Lord's promise of safety. :)

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That is because they never had to make pilgrimage to Jerusalem for a feast day and entrust their borders to the Lord's promise of safety. :)
Exodus 34:
23 “Three times in the year all your men shall appear before the Lord, the Lord God of Israel.
24 For I will cast out the nations before you and enlarge your borders; neither will any man
covet your land when you go up to appear before the Lord your God three times in the year.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0