The last church, the last days, and the lukwarm (Laodicea)

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is an important concept for premillennialists: Who are the third group of people on earth that are not either slain by Christ, or raised immortal by Christ?

Who are the third group of people that are not either saints, or worshippers of the Beast? There is not much of any room for three groups of people in the Revelation story. Being as I believe that the story is not about individuals, but about large bodies of people (and the Beasts are not men, but governments, the city and 7 hills are not a real city, but a spiritual dominion) then it is time to come up with a solid piece of evidence that there are indeed three groups of people. Who is this third group?

First off: a few concepts that "beg the question" of a millennium

1) 6000 years of human history under human government +1000 years of Sabbath government under God. It simply makes no sense for God to create the world, call life good, command us to be fruitful and multiply, then obliterate all mortal people from the earth, ending procreation and the birth of new life, ending animals and all the beautiful things God created. This just doesn't fit with the redemptive history of mankind.

2) There is a millennium specifically mentioned that needs an explanation, it is capped on both ends by Judgement. First is the Second Advent + fall of Mystery Babylon (Ez 39) - where by the nations occupying Israel and oppressing the saints are shattered and physically killed, and second is the final judgement and lake of fire by which Gog inspires a remnant of nations far from Israel to try to re-claim the land from the saints. (Ez 38/Rev 20)

3) There are many explicit statements about the physical return of Jesus Christ, and his literal rule on the earth, and the continuation of human governments after his return (Dan 7), and the ongoing worship of Christ by the nations coming to Jerusalem. If all survivors are immortal saints, why are there still nations, tribes and tongues?

4) There are many people who never did and never will hear the Gospel, and many people living in darkness that have heard nothing but lies their whole life. Will God judge all these people permanently to hell for a choice they never understood they needed to make? This is an accountability question that many searching people have which suggests an indiscriminate killing of confused and decieved, or even illiterate people is unjust. That is the main vein I would like to discuss here.
As God said of the Ninevites "they don't know their right hand from their left". Is God more interested in burning them in hell, or giving them a chance to repent? Will Christ not then return, and give people a final -forceful- opportunity to do so? I think the character of God shows us that he gives people that chance, and not first without giving them the appropriate knowledge to make that choice. Will the judge of the Earth give the world a chance at righteous political leadership before he gives final judgement?

The Question is, does the last of the 7 churches (Rev 2-3) give us something here?
Revelation 3, Laodecia.

<b>
15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. 17Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, 18I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and [that] the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. 19Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.​
</b>

Since Christ calls this discipline out of love, it would not make sense that spitting-out means Christ is eternally condemning them to hell. The reward for overcoming is to sit on a throne with Christ, and this would seem to fit pretty good with the final act leading into the millennium where Christ literally rules the world, and his saints with him. The corporate penalty for not overcoming - is it hell? The letters don't say that.

The issue of confession (by Christ before his Father) is a warning given to the Sardis church earlier in the chapter, we know that all the messages are in the spirit and are for all the churches. There is but one single church, but these 7 messages are given to reflect the church's spiritual state in 7 different time frames through the age of the Gentiles. Could it be that the church of mortals lives on the earth as a sort of punishment for being lukewarm?

In practical terms we know a lot of people who are lukewarm, and we are prone to be this way often! We know a lot of people who are fervent, and we know there are a lot of people who are plainly despicable. Many people are trying to win God's approval by serving this way or that way, some by righteous living, some by righteous thinking, but halfheartedly.

Does this mean that Christ will slay the wicked, Rapture the Saints, and "leave behind"? A remnant of people who are neither hot or cold?
Then shall the reign of the heavens be likened to ten virgins, who, having taken their lamps, went forth to meet the bridegroom; - Matt 25:1
This parable is given just after the Great Tribulation is explained, obviously for a reason! In Matthew 25:12 the foolish virgins return to find the door shut. What is this door? The door cannot be the door of their own hearts, which is what Christ knocks on. It can only be the door to the kingdom reign, which was explained in verse 1.

They are not reigning with Christ, he did not know them. But are they cast into hell? They are described as virgins, and with this in mind what does Revelation say about virginity? It is highly valuable. These ten virgins are all pure by the nature of the term virgin. The light of their lamps, this is the thing that defines inclusion into the reign during the millennium. The virgins were not wise, but it does not say they were evil. They sought to buy more oil, but not in time. (And perhaps not coincidentally the Laodicean church is counciled to "buy" refined gold and white garments, perhaps wedding garments)

The next parable may be of some use - the Parable of the Talents. A key element here is the transition between the two parables. There is a serious difference here. These two parables of chapter 25 are not quite parallel, they appear they are a narrative. The critical aspect about the virgins which differs from the talent-holders is that the virgins are not cast into anything. The parable of the virgins simply stops with the Coming of Christ.

It should be noted that the actual Bride of Christ is presented at the end of the millennium, pure. How should we view the millennium then? Is it the celebration or feast that occurs before the intimate union? In essence, the marriage is not consummated until after the feast and the millennium is the feast requiring the presence of a Bridegroom

<b>
12 and he answering said, Verily I say to you, I have not known you.
13 `Watch therefore, for ye have not known the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man doth come.
14 `For -- as a man going abroad did call his own servants, and did deliver to them his substance,
15 and to one he gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, to each according to his several ability, went abroad immediately.
16 `And he who did receive the five talents, having gone, wrought with them, and made other five talents;
17 in like manner also he who [received] the two, he gained, also he, other two;
18 and he who did receive the one, having gone away, digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
19 `And after a long time cometh the lord of those servants, and taketh reckoning with them;
</b>

This allegory relating Christ as now a businessman, rather than a Bridegroom, tells us something. It tells us Christ is reordering the political and economic structure of the world. Is it telling us that Christ has now come and is now ruling the world? I think that these two parables from a single story about the spiritual reward to rule with Christ given at the Day of the Lord (the rapture of the faithful) and the leaving behind of all the uncertain. After this, Christ dispenses rewards. Is the "long time" a reference to the millennium?

Daniel1136

Sep 1, 2014
✟7,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The assembly at Laodecia is an example of the Lord's message to the collective "church" across the board covering the entire church age from the first century and today

This particular message given in Revelation 3:15-19 deals with the true Christian in contrast with those who pretend only, and then there are those outside of the church that are not believers in the first place [those that are "cold"]

He said that it would be better to be "hot" [zealous] for the faith, or with none, rather than to be lukewarm .... the pretenders in the professing church .... the middle roaders

The professing church is loaded with these fence sitters today

The un-churched have a better chance of seeking and finding the Lord than the Luke warm who think that they are saved and are not

And this is true .... the unbeliever is more likely to listen to the gospel message than those who think they have it, but instead are corrupted with apostasy within their own church organization .... these snares are hard to break

He says that if the pretenders do not turn, repent, and seek Him He will spit them out of His mouth .... He will essentially leave them to His unprecedented judgment

His door is open now for those who will honestly and earnestly seek Him [Revelation 3:8-10]

But the time is coming when He will close it .... and those on the fence with no oil will be left on the other side of the door [Matthew 25:1-13]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree that each message is for all time frames, but there is also something in each message that has an more widespread applicability in it's respective time.

There are always those who are lukewarm, in all churches. However, the message is what I believe to be a warning against a large increase in the lukewarmness factor.

You make a good point though. Why does Christ prefer that a person be either hot or cold? The way I see the cold (cold hearted) Christ will destroy them (he hates them for wickedness). These are the ones that their love grows cold because of lawlessness. And the hot (warmhearted) are given thrones to rule. Is it possible that Christ would prefer to destroy a wicked man than reproove a loved-one?

While you say that the lukewarm are "essentially" subject to final judgment, the passage says that Christ is going to reprove and discipline the lukewarm.

19Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

Reproof and discipline is for the sake of correction. So how would eternal hell provide for this? I think this is a matter of what we repent-of. Unrepentant wickedness subjects us to hellfire. But unrepentant waffling subjects us to being left behind. Make sense?

Upvote 0

Daniel1136

Sep 1, 2014
✟7,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed

I think that His message is in His reproving .... the warning to move from an unsaved position to a saved position .... so they must repent from there position and seek Him

There is no other way to be saved and if they do not take heed, He will spew them out .... may be into the tribulation?

If so they will have to do as He says .... He will be on the other side of the door knocking

Regardless, these pretenders must turn [repent] just like anyone for their salvation

Last edited:
Upvote 0