Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
to keep your righteous rules.
I am severely afflicted;
give me life, O Lord, according to your word!
Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O Lord,
and teach me your rules.
I hold my life in my hand continually,
but I do not forget your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
but I do not stray from your precepts.
Your testimonies are my heritage forever,
for they are the joy of my heart.
I incline my heart to perform your statutes
forever, to the end.” Psalms 119:105-112 ESV

When we believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, and so we are crucified with Christ in death to sin and raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but as slaves to God and to his righteousness, his word (Genesis to Revelation) becomes that lamp to our feet and that light to our path. The truth of the Scriptures, as applied to followers of Christ, leads us and guides us in the way that we should go.

Now, many people are teaching today that we do not have to obey the Lord and that we do not have to obey his commandments to us under the New Covenant. They are teaching that we do not have to do anything – no repentance, no submission to Christ as Lord, no surrender of our lives to do His will – no works at all, not even the works of God which he prepared in advance that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10; cf. Titus 2:11-14).

But if we read the New Testament Scriptures, in their context, we will realize that they teach the same things that this Psalm is teaching us. Now, we don’t have to give animal sacrifices like they did under the Old Covenant, but we are to be living sacrifices to God, holy and pleasing to him, which is our acceptable worship of him, no longer living as slaves to the desires of the flesh, no longer conformed to the ways of this sinful world (Romans 12:1-2).

The New Testament insists that we walk in obedience to our Lord and not in sin or else we will not inherit eternal life with God. So the gospel of our salvation is not a free ride into heaven regardless of how we live, as many people would have you believe. We should be people of God who love the word of the Lord, and who desire to do his will, because we love God, and because we are so thankful for Jesus Christ saving us from our sins.

But if we are teaching the truth of the gospel of our salvation, and if we are teaching obedience to the Lord and to his commands, and if we are insisting on the forsaking of our sins and walks of holiness and righteousness, in practice, in the power of God, we will face lots of opposition from others who also profess faith in Jesus Christ but who are believing that no obedience is required of them because they are saved by God’s grace.

But the grace of God, which is bringing us salvation, trains (teaches, instructs) us to renounce (say “No” to) ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For Jesus Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works (see Titus 2:11-14; cf. Ephesians 2:10).

So the wicked today who are laying snares for the righteous are those who are trying to convince us that we do not have to obey the commandments of our Lord under the New Covenant, and that no works are required of us at all, and that we do not have to cease from sin. And they are those who are attacking those servants of the Lord who are still teaching the righteousness of God and his requirements for all who believe in Jesus as the Christ.

But we must be those who continue steadfast in our faith in Jesus Christ, in doing what we know is right, according to the Scriptures. We must be those who love the Word of the Lord and whose desire it is to walk in the ways of the Lord and to do his will. We must not give way to fear of what other humans might do to us, but we must continue to share the truth of the gospel and to expose the lies of the enemy for what they are.

For far too many people today are believing and following after the lies and not the truth. Far too many professers of faith in Jesus Christ are living not much differently from those who make no profession of faith in Christ, for they are still living to please the flesh, and not God, and they are still deliberately and habitually sinning against the Lord while claiming God’s grace covers it all, and while claiming heaven as their eternal destiny.

So, please know that Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity. But if for Jesus’ sake we deny self, die daily to sin, and follow him in obedience, then we have the hope of eternal life with God. But if we deny Jesus in this life, he will disown us (see Luke 9:23-26).

The Lord’s Anointed

An Original Work / December 16, 2011
Based off Isaiah 61

The Spirit of the Sov’reign Lord on me;
Anointed to preach the Good News;
Sent me to bind up the brokenhearted;
Proclaim freedom for the captives.
He sent me to preach release for pris’ners
Who are walking in sin’s darkness;
Proclaim God’s grace to all men who’ll listen;
And tell them about God’s judgments;
Comfort all who mourn;
Give crowns of beauty;
Oil of gladness and thanksgiving.

They will be called oaks of God’s righteousness,
A planting of our Savior, God,
For the display of our Lord’s splendor, and
They will rebuild God’s holy church.
God will renew them, and will restore them,
And you’ll be called priests of the Lord.
You will be ministers of our God, and
You will rejoice in salvation.
The Lord loves justice;
He is faithful to
Reward those who are seeking Him.

I delight greatly in the Lord;
My soul rejoices in my Savior, God.
He has clothed me with His salvation,
And in a robe of His righteousness.
He has given me priestly garments to wear,
As the bride of Jesus Christ.
As the garden of our Lord and Savior,