Dec 29, 2011
colorado, usa
✟15,397.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I copied this off the other post.

In my own experience I knew when God forgave me and I became his child.

I was 17 years old and living a life that I knew was wrong. Drinking, parties,
disrespectful, just a selfish self centered life.

I was raised in a Christian home and my father was a minister so I didn't want to disappoint them. l was putting on a front of being a Christian but I was far from being one.

One day I was riding with a friend that commented about how miserable it was to be a hypocrite. That struck my heart like a dart. I knew that is what I was and that I was miserable.

That night when I went to bed the was a terrible battle. On one hand God told me so gently, "Give me your heart and I will give you peace."

Satan was also there, "Don't do it. What will your friends think?"

Satan had many, many reasons why I shouldn't give my heart to Jesus.

My reputation, my honor, the fact that I would have to stand alone, and on and on.

God would always say the one gentle thing, "Give me your heart and I will give you peace."

After a long difficult battle I finally committed my life to God.

There was gentle peace that flooded my heart. I was changed.

The desire for the old life was gone. Now I wanted to do the right thing.

I have lived for over thirty years as a Christian. I haven't always done everything right but I have never looked back. My determination is to serve God.

God has kept his promise. Through the many trials and tests he as always given a deep peace in my heart.

May God bless you with peace.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Paris, France
✟7,677.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In my own experience I knew when God forgave me and I became his child.
I was 17 years old and living a life that I knew was wrong. Drinking, parties,
disrespectful, just a selfish self centered life.
I was raised in a Christian home and my father was a minister so I didn't want to disappoint them. l was putting on a front of being a Christian but I was far from being one.
One day I was riding with a friend that commented about how miserable it was to be a hypocrite. That struck my heart like a dart. I knew that is what I was and that I was miserable.
That night when I went to bed the was a terrible battle. On one hand God told me so gently, "Give me your heart and I will give you peace."
Satan was also there, "Don't do it. What will your friends think?"
Satan had many, many reasons why I shouldn't give my heart to Jesus.
My reputation, my honor, the fact that I would have to stand alone, and on and on.
God would always say the one gentle thing, "Give me your heart and I will give you peace."
After a long difficult battle I finally committed my life to God.
There was gentle peace that flooded my heart. I was changed.
The desire for the old life was gone. Now I wanted to do the right thing.
I have lived for over thirty years as a Christian. I haven't always done everything right but I have never looked back. My determination is to serve God.
God has kept his promise. Through the many trials and tests he as always given a deep peace in my heart.

Thank you for your testimony! I understand why you turned yourself to God and how you felt about your life before you did so. I see a lot of people saying they're believers and acting like anything but believers. Your choice must have been a hard decision to make giving your situation back then and I mmust admist that "standing alone" is also one of my fears. My friends aren't Christians or religious at all and my family is atheist, I'd even that religion is sort of tabou in my family so I feel like no one would interest it if I turned myself to God (though I know once you accept it, all this really doesn't matter!).

Upvote 0

Jamesja

Dec 29, 2011
colorado, usa
✟15,397.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I wrote this essay some time ago.

Thought I would share it with you.

What Is It All About

I started out in life so carefree and happy. I was like a little butterfly with a world of flowers to see. Life was wonderful as I looked to the future.

It didn't take long to change my view. I realized I had to perform to be acceptable. It soon seemed like a circus. There were hoops held far into the future. If I jumped thru the hoops I received approval. If I didn't --- well everybody did.

Life became a performance. Leap through the rings; make the football team,cheerleading squad, and the honor roll. I have to go to the right college and get a degree. I did some things I wish I wouldn't but everybody else did them, so go on and hope to forget. Get a good job that makes a lot of money. At the right time get married, have correct amount of children,buy a house, a nice big house, and a better car. I think I am getting tired. Join a club, not any old club, the right club. Jump, jump, jump. Go, go,go. Retirement, have to think about retirement. Buy stocks sell stocks, hit some bumps, go, go, go.

And suddenly I stand at the edge of the last hoop. It isn't round it is rectangular and it is in the ground. The grass stops at it's ragged edges. Here is where it all ends.

What happened to me anyway? Life wasn't supposed to be this way. Where is the little butterfly with beautiful wings? What happened to the flowers? Was I truly happy? What about my soul? Is this is what it is all about?

"God what happened?"

"I am glad you finally asked." God said. "Although it's too late I will take you back and show you what went wrong and what life could have been, if you would have chosen me."

"When you started out in life, I was with you. That's why there was peace in your heart. I give peace to all of my children. (Mat. 19:4) They live the first fifteen years or so in my love. Don't you remember the little butterfly?
That was me."

My heart jumped a little as I remembered those happy innocent days- gone, they were gone.

God continued, " The time came when you chose your own way. Do you remember that argument you had with your Mom? It made you feel terrible, but you wouldn't admit you were wrong. That is where you started to go away from me."

"I tried to stop you. Do you remember when your friend was killed? That lonesome feeling was me. Deep in your heart you knew things weren't right, but you were afraid of what your friends would think, so you went on, away from me."

Gods eyes grew sad, "Do you remember your years in college?"

"No God, don't remind me , I am trying to forget those days," I begged.

Gently, God said, "Forgetting doesn't take care of sin. I would have been glad to forgive you if you would have asked, but you never asked." (1John 1:9)

"All those times you felt lonely and sad, that was me calling you back but you went on." God sighed, " Do you remember when you landed that good job? The pay was terrific but it didn't do for you what you thought it would. I tried to tell you that contentment comes only from me. For awhile you did consider taking my way but you turned to pleasure instead. Oh if only you would have come to me I would have given you what everyone is searching for, peace in your heart, peace in your home, and confidence about the future."

God continued," You were so busy. I tried talking to you on those cool beautiful evenings, but you wouldn't listen. I tried to get your attention with the storms, I thought might be listening, but it didn't last. If you would listened I could have helped with the problems with your spouse, It would have prevented so many heartaches. (1Pet.3:7)

"I could have helped you with so many things but no, you were too busy, too wise, to big a person to turn to me."

The tears were welling up in God's eyes,"You had so much potential for good but you wasted it on your selfish whims."

A tear slid down God's cheek and I felt myself slipping away----

Dear reader, if you know that things are not right with your soul, do not go on. Go to God. He loves you and wants to forgive you.(John 3:16) All you have to do is ask, God will answer.

The price has been paid,Jesus has shed his blood for you. He paid the ransom so you can be saved. Your life can be rich and full, beautiful like the little butterfly and in the end you can go to heaven.

That is what it is all about.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Paris, France
✟7,677.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jamesja, what you wrote is just so moving. I literally cried while reading it. Thanks a lot :)

Lately some things have happened in my life and I just can't deny that they came from God. I now truly believe in Him, that He's watching me. I can feel His presence somehow. I haven't accept Jesus as my savior yet, I might take a while but I guess this is already a big step forward.

Razeontherock, thanks for your reply, it's very nice!
And thanks everyone for all your answers!

I'd like to hear more testimonies of how God shows His influence in your lives though :)

Upvote 0