Apr 28, 2004
London
✟4,702.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Holy Spirit: A Person?

Because the Holy Spirit is given personality in the scriptures, does that make it/him a literal person.

Speaks (Acts 13:2)
Can be grieved (Eph. 4:30)
Has a will (1 Cor. 12:11)

I say not necessarily, because other inanimate objects are also given personality, yet that doesn't lead us to the same conclusions.

Your thoughts.......

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Because the Holy Spirit is given personality in the scriptures, does that make it/him a literal person.

I say not necessarily, because other inanimate objects are also given personality, yet that doesn't lead us to the same conclusions.

Your thoughts.......

Yes. A "person" of God, not an inanimate force, but also not a separate individual being. Unfortunately, the word "person" today carries, for most people and purposes, the idea of an individual being.

The word as used at the time of the Councils of Nicaea and Constantinople was more like our word "persona." That is still in use today, if less common than then, and you can answer your own question by looking it up.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your thoughts.......

I'm so glad you asked that question. While there are some instances of inanimate objects, such as hills, trees, and stars, and even an animal are personified as having a human characteristic but I know of no instance in the Bible where inanimate objects or animals are portrayed as having more that one personal characteristic and that only one time. However the Holy Spirit is portrayed as having at least seventy two (72) personal characteristics on more than one occasion.

The Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity. He is fully God. He is eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, has a distinct will, a distinct mind, a distinct self, and can speak. He is alive. He is a person. He is not particularly visible in the Bible because His ministry is to bear witness of Jesus (John 15:26).

Some false teaching religions like the Jehovah's Witnesses, etc., claim that the Holy Spirit is nothing but an impersonal force (e.g. Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp. 406-407). This is false. If the Holy Spirit were merely an impersonal force or power, then He could not speak (Acts 13:2); He could not be grieved (Eph. 4:30); and He would not have a will (1 Cor. 12:11), a self, (Jn 16:13), or a mind, (Rom 8:27).

The truth is, there are, at least, seventy two (72) personal characteristics or attributes, listed in scripture for the Holy Spirit and He is a person the same as the Father and the Son are, within the Trinity.

Names of the Spirit

1. God -Acts 5:3-4, Acts 28:25-27, Heb 3:7-11, Heb 10:15-17
2. Lord - 2 Cor. 3:18
3. Spirit - 1 Cor. 2:10
4. Spirit of God - 1 Cor. 3:16
5. Spirit of Truth - John 15:26
6. Eternal Spirit - Heb. 9:14

Attributes of (9)

7. Eternal -Heb. 9:14
8. Omnipotent - Luke 1:35
9. Omnipresent - Psalm 139:710
10. Distinct Will from the father and the son– 1 Cor. 12:11
Loves - Rom. 15:30
12. Speaks - Acts 8:29; Acts 13:2
13. Distinct Mind from the father and the son – Rom 8:27
14. Distinct Self from the father and the son – John 16:13
Alive – John 14:17

Symbols of (3)

16. Dove - Mat 3:15
17. Wind - John 3:5
18. Fire - Acts 2:3

Sins Against (6)

19. Blasphemy - Mat 12:31
20. Resist (Unbelief) - Acts 7:51
21. Insult - Heb 10:29
22. Lied to - Acts 5:3
23. Grieved - Eph 4:30
24. Quench - 1 Thes 5:19

Power in Christ's Life (6)

25. Conceived of - Mat 1:18-20
26. Baptism - Mat 3:15
27. Led by - Luke 4:1
28. Filled with Power - Luke 4:14,18
29. Witness of Jesus - John 15:26
30. Raised Jesus - Rom 8:11

The Works of the Holy Spirit (42)

1 Access to God - Eph 2:18
2 Anoints for Service - Luke 4:18
3 Assures - Rom. 8:15-16; Gal 4:6
4 Authors Scripture - 2 Pet 1:20-21
5 Baptizes - John 1:32-34; 1 Cor 12:13-14
6 Believers Born of - John 3:3-6
7 Calls and Commissions - Acts 13:24; Acts 20:28
8 Cleanses - 2 Thes 3:13; 1 Pet. 1:2
9 Comforts - Act 9:31
10 Communion with believers – 2 Cor 13:14
11 Convicts of sin - John 16:9,14
12 Counsels - John 14:16
13 Creates - Gen 1:2; Job 33:4
14 Empowers - 1 Thes 1:5
15 Empowers Believers - Luke 24:49
16 Fellowship with believers – Phil 2:1
17 Fills - Acts 2:4; Acts 4:29-31; Acts 5:18-20; Acts 9:17
18 Forbids action - Acts 16:6
19 Gives gifts - 1 Cor. 12:8-11
20 Glorifies Christ - John 16:14
21 Guides in truth - John 16:13
22 Helps our weakness - Rom 8:26
23 Indwells believers - Rom 8:9-14; Gal 4:6
24 Inspires prayer - Eph 6:18; Jude 20
25 Intercedes -Rom 8:26
26 Interprets Scripture - 1 Cor 2:1,14; Eph 1:17
27 Leads - Rom 8:14
28 Liberates - Rom 8:2
29 Molds Character - Gal 5:22-23
30 Produces fruit - Gal 5:22-23
31 Raises from the dead - Rom 8:11
32 Regenerates - Titus 3:5
33 Reveals – Luk 2:26
34 Sanctifies - Rom. 15:16
35 Seals - Eph 1:13-14; Eph 4:30
36 Sends - Acts 13:4
37 Sent - Gal 4:6; 1 Pet 1:12
38 Strengthens - Eph 3:16; Acts 1:8; 2:4; 1 Cor 2:4
39 Testifies of Jesus - John 15:26
40 Victory over flesh - Rom. 8:2-4; Gal 4:6
41 Warns – Acts 20:23
42 Worship helper - Phi 3:3

[91] scripture

Sources Consulted:

CARM.org

DTL.org/Trinity

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

2ducklow

angel duck
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,570.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts.......
Personification. God speaks of his spirit as if it were another person, that's called personification. Mary said "my soul doth magnify the Lord." Mary's soul is not another person, but she was speaking of it as if it was ,, that's called personification. God is a spirit, but scripture also records God saying "my spirit will not always strive with man". God was just personifying his spirit , which means speaking of it as if it were another being.

People have come up with all kinds of illogicalities because they fail to recognize or even consider personifications in the bible. I think the reason that the Holy Spirit is personified so much in the NT is because that's what God is, God is a spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personification. God speaks of his spirit as if it were another person, that's called personification.

So is your claim to be an angel just angelification?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Your thoughts.......

It is interesting question, what is spirit? For example what is team spirit? Is it person? Can it be compared to Holy Spirit?

Personally I think Holy Spirit is like attitude that is sent from God and which teaches many things. I think it is not God himself, but something from God, which gives help to understand things.

I think it is independent and has also God’s will, same way as disciples of Jesus have God’s will. For example if I pray that God’s will happens, have I my own will, or am I own person? I think I am, but I have just the same will as God. And then I think it can be said that God lives in me, because his will affects in me. Same way I think Holy Spirit is own person, but one with God as disciples of Jesus are one with God.

that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.
John 17:21

I think this is also good scripture about the Holy Spirit:

I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, [Greek Parakleton: Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, and Comfortor.] that he may be with you forever,- the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
John 14:16-17

Upvote 0

2ducklow

angel duck
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,570.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It's very strange to me that no one considers the Holy Spirit to be a spirit. If the holy spirit is a person, then God erred in calling it a spirit and should have called it "the holy person.".

actually the question of this thread should be "Is the holy spirit a holy person?" or "Is a spirit a person?"

If a spirit is a person, then that means a person is a spirit. Lots of problems with that..

And there's a second big problem with the question of this thread. That being what is meant by the word person?

person

: human, individual &#8212;sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes <chairperson> <spokesperson>

: a character or part in or as if in a play : guise

a : one of the three modes of being in the Trinitarian Godhead as understood by Christians b : the unitary personality of Christ that unites the divine and human natures

a archaic : bodily appearance

b : the body of a human being; also : the body and clothing <unlawful search of the person>

: the personality of a human being : self

: one (as a human being, a partnership, or a corporation) that is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties

: reference of a segment of discourse to the speaker, to one spoken to, or to one spoken of as indicated by means of certain pronouns or in many languages by verb inflection
Person - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If by person def. 3a is meant, then the question is what is a mode? and it would mean , in order to be more accurate, "Is the HOly Spirit a mode?"
mode
a. A manner, way, or method of doing or acting: modern modes of travel. See Synonyms at method.

b. A particular form, variety, or manner: a mode of expression.

c. A given condition of functioning; a status: The spacecraft was in its recovery mode.

2. The current or customary fashion or style. See Synonyms at fashion.

3. Music
a. Any of certain fixed arrangements of the diatonic tones of an octave, as the major and minor scales of Western music.

b. A patterned arrangement, as the one characteristic of the music of classical Greece or the medieval Christian Church.

4. Philosophy The particular appearance, form, or manner in which an underlying substance, or a permanent aspect or attribute of it, is manifested.

5. Logic
a. See modality.

b. The arrangement or order of the propositions in a syllogism according to both quality and quantity.

6. Statistics The value or item occurring most frequently in a series of observations or statistical data.

7. Mathematics The number or range of numbers in a set that occurs the most frequently.

8. Geology The mineral composition of a sample of igneous rock.

9. Physics Any of numerous patterns of wave motion or vibration.

10. Grammar Mood.

mode - definition of mode by The Free Dictionary

so then one has to figure out what is meant by mode. What this all means is that the use of the word person makes the question really unanswerable because it's too vague a term. The question needs to be more specific, like "is the Holy Spirit a particular form of expression (def. 2) of the Father ,or the son or the holy Spirit?" Or if one has ones on peculiar definition for those words then they should be stated. The whole question is so vague that no one really knows what the question is.

the use of words like person in an argument is a certain kind of logical fallacy. It's the use of vague terms or terms that have multiple divergent meanings. But since 3 is one is a logical fallacy, it is only natural that logical fallacies would be explained with other logical fallacies. So in that sense it's not a surprise that no one considers the holy spirit to be a spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's very strange to me that no one considers the Holy Spirit to be a spirit.
We all do.

If the holy spirit is a person, then God erred in calling it a spirit and should have called it "the holy person.".
"Person" =/= human being. This has been explained to you before. :doh:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Apostolic letters to the churches contain no 'greeting' from the Holy Spirit, only from God the Father and Jesus Christ. This is pretty compelling evidence that the Holy Spirit is not a distinct 'person'.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Apostolic letters to the churches contain no 'greeting' from the Holy Spirit, only from God the Father and Jesus Christ. This is pretty compelling evidence that the Holy Spirit is not a distinct 'person'.

There's nothing "compelling" about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts.......

He is a glorious Person.

So why argue against the verses you yourself quoted?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting question, what is spirit? For example what is team spirit? Is it person? Can it be compared to Holy Spirit?

God's people are destroyed for a lack of 'knowledge of', all the while they can be drowning in an abundance of 'information about'.

Let me preface my thoughts with an understanding of the definite article teaching. A teaching of grammar which I've never heard addressed concerning this subject.

But first let me give you an example of this truth in simple English, so you/anyone here may understand the concept.

Example: "Oh Mrs. Jones that's a nasty cut...let's go see THE DOCTOR in his office, and let him DOCTOR it up for you."

Can you not see how this small addition of the definite article completely differentiates between the person and the power/action of that person? It differentiates between noun and an action verb. Now let's look at these verses and read them, just like they are in the Greek, and not how they've been interpreted by men. I will let this 'definite article' principle determine capitalization in these verses...and not doctrine.

ACT 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with ... holy spirit not many days hence.

This verse (w/o article) is saying you will receive holy spirit power, and not the person of THE Holy Spirit. That agrees totally with verse 4 which says what they are going to receive is, 'the promise', and also, Act 1:8 and Luke 24:49. They both say the promise is holy spirit power. This power manifests, when The Spirit comes upon.

ACT 11:15 And as I began to speak, The Holy the Spirit fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with ... holy spirit.

The Holy Spirit personification of God, dispenses the holy spirit power from God.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Nonsense. If that were true we would not find a salutation including the Holy Spirit on any of the letters.

2 Co 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen​

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hillsage said:
ACT 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with ... holy spirit not many days hence.

ACT 11:15 And as I began to speak, The Holy the Spirit fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with ... holy spirit.

The Holy Spirit personification of God, dispenses the holy spirit power from God.

Except that in both of those verses, the Bible says "the Holy Ghost," not "the Holy the Spirit" or "holy spirit."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Except that in both of those verses, the Bible says "the Holy Ghost," not "the Holy the Spirit" or "holy spirit."

Testimony: One of our church elders was teaching a home group one time and I happened to be there. He admonished one of 'the brethren', who had just rebutted what the elder had been teaching. The 'brother' had based his rebuttal upon the footnotes in his study bible. The elder said to him; "Footnotes are not the bible". He then looked at me and said you know who taught me that? I said, NO. He said; "YOU DID several years ago, and I never forgot that!" Obviously I do forget things. :blush:

I don't know how to make it any clearer to you than to just say it: Your Bible/graphe is not the 'word/rhema of God'. And all capitalizations of spirit and holy in your bible is purely based upon interpretation and not translation. And the orthodox translators got it wrong long ago. IMO of course.

Do you have an interlinear? I happen to own 4 from the pre-computer days. Any way go look at those verses in the Greek, and even in the transliterated portion guess what you find?....(the)...Do you know what (the) means? It means the definite article THE....WAS ADDED BY MEN.

You could also buy a study bible that was first written over a hundred years ago but is still in print (truth really is timeless). In it he'll even help you find the 52 times he says your bible capitalized 'holy' and 'spirit' incorrectly. It's called 'The Companion Bible'.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...I don't know how to make it any clearer to you than to just say it: Your Bible/graphe is not the 'word/rhema of God'. And all capitalizations of spirit and holy in your bible is purely based upon interpretation and not translation. And your fundamental translators got it wrong long ago. IMO of course.

It is proper to capitalize proper nouns. Holy Spirit/Ghost would be a proper noun. Actually all capitalization in the Bible is inteprretation since neither Hebrew nor Greek utilized capital letters as we do in English.

Do you have an interlinear? I happen to own 4 from the pre-computer days. Any way go look at those verses in the Greek, and even in the transliterated portion guess what you find?....(the)...Do you know what (the) means? It means the definite article THE....WAS ADDED BY MEN.

The addition of the article in English where it does not occur in Greek is not necessarily incorrect. See grammars by Robertson and Winer and Moulton, below.

VIII. The Absence of the Article. I do not care to use the term "omission" in connection with the article. That word implies that the article ought to be present. As has been already shown, the article is not the only means of showing that a word is definite.
. . .
The context and history of the phrase in question must decide. The translation of the expression into English or German is not determined by the mere absence of the Greek article. If the word is indefinite, as in Jo. 4:27; 6:68, no article, of course, occurs. P. 790
. . .
(k) ONLY OBJECT OF KIND. These partake of the nature of proper names and often occur without the article They also often have the article. Some of these anarthrous examples appear in prepositional phrases like ex arister&#333;n (Lu. 23:33), ek dezti&#333;n (ib.), etc. These may be passed by (already discussed). The point is best illustrated by such words as ex arister&#333;n (2 Pet. 3:5). Cf. English "heaven and earth." Cf. (f), Words in Pairs. thalassa we find sometimes anarthrous with prepositions (Ac. 7:36; 10:32) and in Lu. 21:25 &#275;xous thalass&#275;s kai salou. But it has the article in contrast with g&#275;.3 See also Lu. 21:25 en &#275;li&#333; kai seln&#275;n&#275; kai astrois, Mt. 13:6 &#275;li&#333;u anateilantos, 1 Cor. 15:41 &#275;li&#333;u doxa. So we can say "sun, moon and stars," etc. thanatos should also be noted Cf. 1 Cor. 15:21; Mt. 16:28; 20:18; Lu. 23:15; Ph. 1:20, etc. p. 794

These illustrations can be greatly multiplied. So also pneuma and pneuma agion may occur with and without the article.

The use of pneuma with a genitive like pneuma xristou? (Ro. 8:9) and with a preposition, ek pneumatos (Jo. 3:5), accounts for some examples. An example like of oup&#333; &#275;n pneuma (Jo. 7:39) merely illustrates the use of pneuma like theos as substantially a proper name. p. 795

Grammar Of The Greek New Testament In The Light Of Historical Research, A. T. Robertson, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1919​

A Treatise on The Grammar of New Testament Greek, Regarded As A Sure Basis For New Testament Exegesis,. Dr. G. B. Winer,. Tr. Rev. W. F. Moulton, Edinburgh, T. & T. Clark, 1882.

Section XIX.
Omission Of The Article Before Nouns.

1. Appellatives which, as denoting definite objects, should naturally have the article, are in certain cases used without it, not only in the N. T., but also in the best Greek writers : see Schsefer, Melet. p. 4. Such an omissions, however, takes place only when it occasions no ambiguity, and does not leave the reader in doubt whether he is to regard the word as definite or indefinite. Hence (a) The article is omitted before words which denote objects of which there is but one in existence, and which therefore are nearly equivalent to proper names.^ Thus hlios is almost as common as o hlios, and yh is not infrequently used for h yh, in the sense of the earth (Poppo, Thuc. III. iii. 46). Hence also abstract nouns denoting virtues, vices, etc., as areth, sofrosunh kakai and the names of the members of the animal body, very often dispense with the article. The same may be said of a number of other appellatives—as polis, astu, agros, deipnou and even pathr, adelfos—when the context leaves no room for doubt as to the particular town, field, etc., intended. This omission, however, is more frequent in poetry than in prose (Schaefer, Deinosth. I. 329), and is again more common in Greek prose generally than in the N. T. p. 147

pneuma agiou (rarely pneuma theou), A. viii. 15, 17, Rom. viii. 9, 14, H, vi. 4, 2 P. i. 21,1 C. xii. 3 ; pneuma Ph. ii. 1; also en pneumati E. ii. 22, vL 18, Col. i. 8 ; en pneumati agio) Jude 20. P. 151​

You could also buy a study bible that was first written over a hundred years ago but is still in print (truth really is timeless). In it he'll even help you find the 52 times he says your bible capitalized 'holy' and 'spirit' incorrectly. It's called 'The Companion Bible'.

I was not impressed with Bullinger's belief in numerology. Number in Scripture by E.W. Bullinger

Last edited:
Upvote 0