Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Pope Francis celebrated Mass in the chapel of the Casa Santa Marta on Tuesday – the Feast of St. Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Martyr. Following the Readings of the Day, the Holy Father reflected on the “foolishness” of those, who are unable to hear the Word of God, preferring appearances, idols, or ideologies – like the people of Jerusalem, whose faithlessness caused Our Lord to weep nostalgic tears.

Pope Francis at Santa Marta: on the folly of hard-hearted Christians - Vatican Radio

• Winner
Reactions: Halbhh

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,162,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another excellent message from Francis, very worth taking in for any of us.

We have visible reason to have deep and profound hope that Francis can continue to move the Church more into following Christ's will and intent for us.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
If we bold "Father" and then put "Holy" in front, then we remember the command of our Lord, Christ Jesus, whose words all came from above.

"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven"

So, this is a good thing to remember if you write "Holy Father"
This is a Catholic forum in which one needs to respect the Statement of Purpose - TLT Statement of Purpose

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,162,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a Catholic forum in which one needs to respect the Statement of Purpose - TLT Statement of Purpose

If you feel in even a slight way I ever don't follow every bit of that (with which also I heartily agree btw), please with charity helpfully and kindly point out any bit that isn't that way, as I want to do all in that statement even just anywhere on this site, and not only here. (I did read every sentence, with care, too)

Also, I want to highlight the linked message from Francis was especially good to take in, as often his messages seem to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
B6914CFD-7B35-4B6F-9958-797DD6F948B3.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,162,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen. Is there a way my post above didn't obey some part in the statement of purpose? This is a real question, because I read the statement of purpose immediately after the suggesting post #3, and carefully and including every paragraph. I wonder if there is a misperception on "While not everyone here may agree with all the dogmas, traditions, or hierarchy of the Catholic Church, everyone here is expected to show a measure of respect to them." ?

In that I have almost nothing I can find anywhere in the dogmas of the Catholic Church so far I don't already agree with, more so than any single other church even.

So I respect the Catholic Church more than only "a measure", and might join one right now if I was not already needed where I'm at.

I think of it as both the mother church and the main church, and having most everything right.

Just to be sure I understand, what are ya'll reacting to actually? Is it merely that I'm not sure we should capitalize and bold "Holy Father" for the reason I pointed out? Does that go against the SOP, and what way? I'm happy to entirely remove the post to just a period. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,162,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pope Francis celebrated Mass in the chapel of the Casa Santa Marta on Tuesday – the Feast of St. Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Martyr. Following the Readings of the Day, the Holy Father reflected on the “foolishness” of those, who are unable to hear the Word of God, preferring appearances, idols, or ideologies – like the people of Jerusalem, whose faithlessness caused Our Lord to weep nostalgic tears.

Pope Francis at Santa Marta: on the folly of hard-hearted Christians - Vatican Radio

I've read perhaps a dozen articles reporting on the teaching from pope Francis now from links here at CF -- most things I hear from Francis have been from links here -- and this is a wonderfully good one, especially encouraging. We are really lucky these days to have such a good teacher speaking with such a pulpit. I wish these kinds of messages were noticed more widely throughout all churches.

• Agree
Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen. Is there a way my post above didn't obey some part in the statement of purpose? This is a real question, because I read the statement of purpose immediately after the suggesting post #3, and carefully and including every paragraph. I wonder if there is a misperception on "While not everyone here may agree with all the dogmas, traditions, or hierarchy of the Catholic Church, everyone here is expected to show a measure of respect to them." ?

In that I have almost nothing I can find anywhere in the dogmas of the Catholic Church so far I don't already agree with, more so than any single other church even.

So I respect the Catholic Church more than only "a measure", and might join one right now if I was not already needed where I'm at.

I think of it as both the mother church and the main church, and having most everything right.

Just to be sure I understand, what are ya'll reacting to actually? Is it merely that I'm not sure we should capitalize and bold "Holy Father" for the reason I pointed out? Does that go against the SOP, and what way? I'm happy to entirely remove the post to just a period. Thanks!
Welcome to TLT brother. I appreciate your attitude in your reply. First Id like to say that an Ambassador Hat is primarily a preemptive move to avoid forum infractions before they happen. As you and I don’t use a Catholic faith icon we would be subject to the visitor’s restrictions that are imposed in all of the different ‘Faith groups’ & ‘Christian communities’ such as ‘no teaching’. But to be transparent if we knew you better from a history of posting here you would probably receive more leniency. Also keep in mind there are a lot of anit-Catholic threads and anti-Catholic posts even in there own faith forums.

I’m glad to have met you and hope for more interaction in the future.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Who is the Holy Father? Are you referring to your pope? He's not my holy father. What word of God? His version? Or the bible?

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP

Thank you .

It is a common ploy by anti-Catholics to try to wrong-foot Catholics because they call their priests and popes "Father" when Jesus said , ""And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven" .

We don't take these words literally , as Jesus himself and the writers of the NT epistles didn't take them literally .

As for calling the Pope "Holy Father" , I suspect that Pope Francis himself , if you were to have a private chat with him , would say that he feels uneasy about being named "Holy" . It's just my intuition which prompts me to say that .

Sometimes I refer to Pope Francis as "Holy Father" as a term of affection . There is nothing profoundly theological about it .

I can see why some do not like it , and , from what you have said , I can see that you don't go along with it , not because you are accusing Catholics of being unbiblical but simply because you are uneasy about it .

I respect what you say , and embrace what you say in good faith .

Welcome ! :)

p.s.

Here is a link to a piece which explains it all better than I can......Call No Man "Father"? | Catholic Answers

Last edited:
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0