Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been reading a book on racism and I am Christian. The author Paul Kivel talked about "Hidden language" within culture and race we use among our group members. The example he gave was an epithets such as "welfare mothers", if you don't know this is a term usually given to white mothers on welfare. As Christians we do this sometimes too when we say "the lord will protect me", but forget "faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God.", but I'm specifically getting on the racial epithets because some of that terminology makes it into the Christian community a lot, such as "Islamic Terrorist", "Illegal immigrants", "Colored people". These types of things lead to a "Clique" mentality as hidden talk among brothers and sisters. We should be careful about the words we use (some would even say become universalized). Words do hurt.

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some times it's not hidden and simply means what it says. Some repetition is vain and some isn't, for example. True logic boils down to true logic. Just don't twist it.

Don't be nervous, say anything plainly and with good heart. Don't spend disproportionate time contorting yourself over probable or improbable nuances of everybody else's utterances.

Pray for the upholding of what should be in common to mankind: reason and civilisation. God would rather do His micromanaging of His own work through the affairs of others for Himself without our getting under His feet.

In between "curling up with good books" it's exceedingly good to look up informative web pages where dialogue is unasked for, unnecessary or not possible. Just rejoicing in our own thirst for knowledge for its own sake. Our own side of the street is the only side we can do anything about.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have been reading a book on racism and I am Christian. The author Paul Kivel talked about "Hidden language" within culture and race we use among our group members. The example he gave was an epithets such as "welfare mothers", if you don't know this is a term usually given to white mothers on welfare. As Christians we do this sometimes too when we say "the lord will protect me", but forget "faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God.", but I'm specifically getting on the racial epithets because some of that terminology makes it into the Christian community a lot, such as "Islamic Terrorist", "Illegal immigrants", "Colored people". These types of things lead to a "Clique" mentality as hidden talk among brothers and sisters. We should be careful about the words we use (some would even say become universalized). Words do hurt.

What makes you place "Islamic terrorist" together with clearly racial epithets like "colored people"?

What race are "Islamic terrorists" such that this is a racial slur? Isn't Islam a religion, not a race?

16685da6c2f7a3e0ba2af1ae8d249bc9.jpg

Macedonian Muslims. These people have been Muslims for centuries, thanks to the Ottoman Empire's rule of the Balkans. They're far from the only ones that this could be said about (see also: Muslim Albanians), though some groups in Europe converted even before that time (see: Volga Bulgaria).

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What makes you place "Islamic terrorist" together with clearly racial epithets like "colored people"?

What race are "Islamic terrorists" such that this is a racial slur? Isn't Islam a religion, not a race?

16685da6c2f7a3e0ba2af1ae8d249bc9.jpg

Macedonian Muslims. These people have been Muslims for centuries, thanks to the Ottoman Empire's rule of the Balkans. They're far from the only ones that this could be said about (see also: Muslim Albanians), though some groups in Europe converted even before that time (see: Volga Bulgaria).

There is the nation of Islam, and there are Islamic terrorist, which has nothing to do with Islam but are terrorist who use Islam as a reason for their doings. That is what I mean by Islamic terrorist. My reason for putting that there was as an example of these types of epithets. Wikipedia gives a very good description of that. Yes, this discussion is still familiar to people, and it maybe hard to deal, so is racism. I believe in our father being a charitable God, and that just as we so do others. "Do on to others, as you will do to yourself."

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some times it's not hidden and simply means what it says. Some repetition is vain and some isn't, for example. True logic boils down to true logic. Just don't twist it.

Don't be nervous, say anything plainly and with good heart. Don't spend disproportionate time contorting yourself over probable or improbable nuances of everybody else's utterances.

Pray for the upholding of what should be in common to mankind: reason and civilisation. God would rather do His micromanaging of His own work through the affairs of others for Himself without our getting under His feet.

In between "curling up with good books" it's exceedingly good to look up informative web pages where dialogue is unasked for, unnecessary or not possible. Just rejoicing in our own thirst for knowledge for its own sake. Our own side of the street is the only side we can do anything about.

Yeah, micromanaging things are not going to help, and that is why there are groups and faction out there that deal with that. Actually, I think the news is a great source to pick up those events/problems that maybe happening in the world. This gives us incentives and motives: remember our lord is a God of justice when we intercede.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Beware the power of suggestion in this current "offended by literally everything and must apologize for everything others have done" culture.

I don't picture white women when I hear "welfare mothers".
Islam is not a race.
Illegal immigrants aren't confined to any one race.
I haven't heard the term "colored people" in forever. I don't know anyone who still uses it.

Don't take on this attitude of "I must be doing something wrong and therefore I must feel bad about it" because another person directs you to.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beware the power of suggestion in this current "offended by literally everything and must apologize for everything others have done" culture.

I don't picture white women when I hear "welfare mothers".
Islam is not a race.
Illegal immigrants aren't confined to any one race.
I haven't heard the term "colored people" in forever. I don't know anyone who still uses it.

Don't take on this attitude of "I must be doing something wrong and therefore I must feel bad about it" because another person directs you to.

What we can do is pray and watch our words. A person of virtue told me that prayer is, that, essential aspect in religion where everything is derive.

Thank you very much, I think you understand me a lot when I say Islam is the religion of the Muslims (which is a religion) and that that can't possible, but I joined this site to talk about problem in society and discusses this through religious inspirations. I feel the number one problem in society right now is immigration. We need to pray for the victims of this cause, family being split apart, poverty, lower wage jobs. I love getting involved in news and media pertaining to cause. Maybe others may do that. Now, we can put it to practice. Writing helps.

I pray for the victims who are hurt by racist words and epithets. Lord God, I ask that when these words pop up in our mind that we blot them out, or that you/we heal them. That we don't keep sinning and forgetting who you/we are. That we remember our purpose as warriors of God, and that our goal is to spread the word of God through acts of charity to the people who need us and where problems arise and are in needing of your intervention. God I ask you patience, charity, and appreciability. God we thank and pray this in your sons name. A-men

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I pray for the victims who are hurt by racist words and epithets. Lord God, I ask that when these words pop up in our mind that we blot them out, or that you/we heal them. That we don't keep sinning and forgetting who you/we are. That we remember our purpose as warriors of God, and that our goal is to spread the word of God through acts of charity to the people who need us and where problems arise and are in needing of your intervention. God I ask you patience, charity, and appreciability. God we thank and pray this in your sons name. A-men

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What we can do is pray and watch our words. A person of virtue told me that prayer is, that, essential aspect in religion where everything is derive.

Thank you very much, I think you understand me a lot when I say Islam is the religion of the Muslims (which is a religion) and that that can't possible, but I joined this site to talk about problem in society and discusses this through religious inspirations. I feel the number one problem in society right now is immigration. We need to pray for the victims of this cause, family being split apart, poverty, lower wage jobs. I love getting involved in news and media pertaining to cause. Maybe others may do that. Now, we can put it to practice. Writing helps.

I don't agree at all that the "number one problem in society" is immigration. However, your post seems sincere and your intentions seem kind. I wish you the best :)

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't agree at all that the "number one problem in society" is immigration. However, your post seems sincere and your intentions seem kind. I wish you the best :)

There are many issues introduce by the news and within peoples issues. I mean issues come from a problem and underlying issues usually begin with a question. Thus, your issue may not be my issue, and in vice versa. That is all I meant by one of the problems to me is immigration.
Thank you for the reply!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are many issues introduce by the news and within peoples issues. I mean issues come from a problem and underlying issues usually begin with a question. Thus, your issue may not be my issue, and in vice versa. That is all I meant by one of the problems to me is immigration.
Thank you for the reply!
Well, there's "your" issue, "my" issue, and then "society's" issue. You said it was for society as a whole, not just yourself :) If you meant it was personal to you, then it may be wise to make that more clear in future posts, so people understand you better.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Bloomfield
✟16,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, there's "your" issue, "my" issue, and then "society's" issue. You said it was for society as a whole, not just yourself :) If you meant it was personal to you, then it may be wise to make that more clear in future posts, so people understand you better.

Yeah, but most of our issues come from the news or other sources: there is no way that individual has its own issue.

Thank you!
God Bless

Upvote 0