Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I was out of the church for some years and noticed that the HCSB no longer exists. Or rather was replaced by the CSB, which I'm not a super huge fan of. I can't seem to find too many reasons for why the HCSB was discontinued other than it seemed that people weren't big fans of the way it translated things like Yahweh (instead of LORD) or slave (instead of servant). From that angle is appears the SBC (which I gather was responsible for the HCSB and CSB) seems to have jumped on the woke-ism trend of translations (looking at you NIV) and that's disappointing. It did go more traditional I suppose so perhaps woke-ism isn't accurate, but still, disappointing, for now it seems the CSB is little different from most other translations out there. So why even bother?

Anyways, does anyone here know of any actual reasons the HCSB was replaced (or updated) to the CSB?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

This thread is about Christian scriptures, let us keep it on topic and not accuse one another of anything. Discuss the scriptures and translations being discussed.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I was out of the church for some years and noticed that the HCSB no longer exists. Or rather was replaced by the CSB, which I'm not a super huge fan of. I can't seem to find too many reasons for why the HCSB was discontinued other than it seemed that people weren't big fans of the way it translated things like Yahweh (instead of LORD) or slave (instead of servant). From that angle is appears the SBC (which I gather was responsible for the HCSB and CSB) seems to have jumped on the woke-ism trend of translations (looking at you NIV) and that's disappointing. It did go more traditional I suppose so perhaps woke-ism isn't accurate, but still, disappointing, for now it seems the CSB is little different from most other translations out there. So why even bother?

Anyways, does anyone here know of any actual reasons the HCSB was replaced (or updated) to the CSB?
Good question... here's what the publisher says:

“The Christian Standard Bible incorporates the latest scholarship and linguistic advances, resulting in a highly accurate text for preaching and serious study,” said Bible Publisher Dr. Jeremy Howard. “And the clarity of the CSB’s language will inspire readers to read it, live it and then share it.”​

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

They give reasons on their site, so I have to trust their reasoning. But if you like the HCSB, you might want to look at the Legacy Bible.

• Informative
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They give reasons on their site, so I have to trust their reasoning. But if you like the HCSB, you might want to look at the Legacy Bible.

Interesting, I guess I must have missed those points upon first inspection. Do you mean the Legacy Standard Bible? I have looked into that one and it seems very good, though itself a revision of the NASB. Thank you!

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question... here's what the publisher says:

“The Christian Standard Bible incorporates the latest scholarship and linguistic advances, resulting in a highly accurate text for preaching and serious study,” said Bible Publisher Dr. Jeremy Howard. “And the clarity of the CSB’s language will inspire readers to read it, live it and then share it.”​

I read that bit too, so I'm guessing it wasn't necessarily replaced just revised basically if I'm understanding that properly.

Upvote 0