Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread was derailed last year. Can we get some on topic response:
-----------------------------------------
Doctrine and Covenants 129 states:
4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear— 7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message. 8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.

QUESTIONS:

[1] Has this test been used or is this test being currently used by Latter Day Saints ???? Cite some examples.

[2] If it has not been used and is not used why would God give this revelation to Joseph Smith ???

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1. Most people don't have the guts to say, "I shook an angel's hand."

2. What Mormons believe happened in the temple is secret.

3. Joseph Smith liked to imagine things and then pretend that what he imagined was real.

4. If a handshake was a true test who says that person is an angel insead of a human pretending to be an angel?

5. Joseph Smith knew that wasn't true and if anyone told him, "I saw an angel and he shook my hand," Joseph would know that the person lied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
QUESTIONS:

[1] Has this test been used or is this test being currently used by Latter Day Saints ???? Cite some examples.

[2] If it has not been used and is not used why would God give this revelation to Joseph Smith ???

======
No answers from CF LDS?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
QUESTIONS:

======
No answers from CF LDS?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
QUESTIONS:

======
No answers from CF LDS?

A divine figure comes down from the sky and tells you that you need to repent and become LDS.

They show you an extensive list of sins that they say you're guilty of and give this as the reason why.

How do you react?

You'd darn sure want to make sure that this divine figure is indeed of God, right?

So why do you begrudge us that same sentiment, that of wanting to be sure someone or something is indeed of God?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away. When he tempts me with silly sins I say, 'Devil, yesterday I broke wind too. Have you written it down on your list?'" - Dr. Martin Luther

If someone is coming to you with a list of sins, probably isn't worth your time. Fart and be on with your day.

-CryptoLutheran

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A divine figure comes down from the sky and tells you that you need to repent and become LDS.

They show you an extensive list of sins that they say you're guilty of and give this as the reason why.

How do you react?

You'd darn sure want to make sure that this divine figure is indeed of God, right?

So why do you begrudge us that same sentiment, that of wanting to be sure someone or something is indeed of God?
I'd tell that supposed "divine figure" to get thee behind me satan! I trust only in the blood of Jesus \o/! Galatians 1:8

Last edited:
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The desert fathers recommend not accepting angelic visitations, as the devils often disguise themselves as such to gain entry into the cell of the unaware. I would go by their advice, being chastened by the fact that no angel from God would tell me to leave Christ our God by converting to a religion that sees itself as the correction Christianity like Mormonism or Islam. It's a shame that JS or Muhammad did not heed this wisdom themselves.

How do you react?

With suspicion.

And that's supposed to be accomplished by a handshake test how, exactly? This is nothing but Masonic nonsense dressed up in Christian verbiage.

Because you don't judge someone's claimed vision based on a handshake or some other 'tokens' or phrases like you're running an underground bar during prohibition-era America. Every claimed vision or message must be evaluated according to how well it conforms to the faith that has been delivered once to the saints, and those things that do not conform to it (like Mormonism) must be rejected. The content, not the knowledge of some specific handshake, is what matters.

From letter 41 of St. Jerome to Marcella concerning the scourge of Montanism in Rome (385 AD):

If, then, the apostle Peter, upon whom the Lord has founded the Church, has expressly said that the prophecy and promise of the Lord were then and there fulfilled, how can we claim another fulfillment for ourselves? If the Montanists reply that Philip's four daughters prophesied at a later date, and that a prophet is mentioned named Agabus, and that in the partition of the spirit, prophets are spoken of as well as apostles, teachers and others, and that Paul himself prophesied many things concerning heresies still future, and the end of the world; we tell them that we do not so much reject prophecy— for this is attested by the passion of the Lord — as refuse to receive prophets whose utterances fail to accord with the Scriptures old and new.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So you're saying that it's not worth anyone's time to repent?

...Or did you not fully read my post?

Repent, yes.

But God isn't in the business of bringing a list of sins at us. We have the Law, we know what it says, God has told us already what is right and what is wrong. And if God's servants are doing their job in preaching the Law as Law, then our conscience will be pricked by our own knowledge of our sins. From this flows grief, sorrow, and contrition over sin.

If some supernatural thing showed up with a list of sins, well, that wouldn't be from God now would it? The "test" if you will, has already been made.

Confess your sins, repent, daily, because you are quite a sinner.

Then put your trust in the One who has already vanquished the power of sin, destroyed the power of the enemy, and rest in Him and His righteousness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0