Not open for further replies.

Smithaw1

Mar 4, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
✟172.00
Faith
Baptist
Well for the last 17 years, since I was 5 I have been a Southern Baptist, never deviating from free will, and eternal torment for the lost. In fact, I'm still in this camp just not as sure. Recently, I've come across some things, including my own reading of the Bible, that are making me rethink everything. First and foremost i would like to say that the One truth that I am sure of is that Jesus died for me and that there can be no hope for the world without the sacrifice of God's only son, Jesus Christ. The things that I'm questioning are who is saved? and is it in our control? Ephesians 2:8 says by grace through faith, but that this faith is a gift of God. Also Jesus talks several times in the Gospel about only the ones God chooses believes. This seems to fly directly in the face of free will. However, a doctrine I can't really accept is that God's plan is to save only a small minority of humanity --at most 5 or 10 %, but when we look at the # that actually follow Christ, more like .5% and consign the rest of creation to eternal torment without giving them a choice in the matter.

This leads me to universalism, which I had previously thought was held only by people who weren't Christians and didn't read the Bible--or at least took a few verses out of context. But how can you take 1 Timothy 2:4 out of context which says in the Greek that God intends (not desires as modern translations like to say) all men to be save. Or the verse in Romans 11 that says God gave all men over to sin so that he could have mercy on them all. Also there are key passages in 1 Corinthians 15, Romans 8, and Colossians 1 that seem to teach the reconcilliation of the whole world through the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Before I thought all who believ must be implied in these passages becaus they just don't square with my view of hell as a place of eternal separation from God and torment! But universalist explain these verses. They say that the word "aionion" in the Greek is mistranslated in the Bible. Since aion means eon or age (like in the Great Commission) then aionion couldn's possibly have a meaning besides "of the age" or as Young's 1607 translation renders it, "age enduring." In fact, sometimes, when the King James scholars couldn't translate it any other way they had to render it something differenlt besides aionion. (For instance they translated aion and aionion like 7 different ways in the first chapter of Ephesians) But usually, however, they translated aionion to mean forever, everlasting, or eternal. Interestingly, the phrase "aionion" life doesn't occur in Revelation--after the church age, instead it says forever and ever which in the Greek means "to the aions of the aions" or "ages of the ages." The universaists argue that since the wages of sin is death, the same word for death that is used when a cow dies, then saying that God gives eternal torment would be to say God is unjust. Why, they ask,didn't God tell Adam what the "REAL" wages of sin were instead of just saying that he would surely die. What they believe is that sometime in the future ages that God, through Christ's sacrifice, will eventually reconcile ALL things to himself. This, of course, is what Paul SEEMS to be saying in certain passages.

An interesting point they both make is that both Paul, in Romans 9(somewhere in the opening verses) and Moses (Exodus 32:32) both say they wish they could be cursed or cut off for Israel's sake. How could they have said this if it meant an eternity in fire? Can anyone really have this much love? Another point they make is how could the "mere" death of Jesus pay the price for mankind's sin if the real wages of sin were eternal torment. (I squirm while writing that sentence, knowing about "The Passion of Jesus Chirst" the love Jesus has for me.) Also, Universalists say even if it is only God's desire --and not something he controls-- for all to be saved then this will mean that God, in the future will be not quite satisfied, just a little bit frustrated. (Isaiah after all does say that all that God desires, he does.) Finally they make the point that the method for salvation in Romans 10 is to confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead. In Philippians, Paul says that God God has exalted his Son so that at the name of Jesus every knee may bow (will be able to bow is how the Greek says is) and every tongue will be able to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Now I've always thought that at this point it would be too late. After all, whats the MERIT in saying Jesus is lord after we see him. But then I catch myself, there is never any MERIT to grace, "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" it is unmerited favor. Maybe when the are seeing God face to face they won't really believe in their hearts God raised him from the dead, but I highly doubt it!

As you all can see, the Universalist arguement is pretty convincing and so I find myself on the fence. I'm waiting for a champion of orthodoxy to stand up and refute this nonsense, to show me how aionion can mean eternal, and why sinners really do deserve everlasting punishment in a place like where the rich man, in the rich man and lazarus was. For myself, I have never questioned the idea that because of my sins I deserve to die, but it does not com enatural to me to say that because of my sin I deserve the same fate of the rich man ETERNALLY. One last thing the Universalists say is that God is a purifying fire and the fires of hell are all about getting people--the unsaved-- ready for God's kingdom.

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Smithaw1 said:
But universalist explain these verses. They say that the word "aionion" in the Greek is mistranslated in the Bible. Since aion means eon or age (like in the Great Commission) then aionion couldn's possibly have a meaning besides "of the age" or as Young's 1607 translation renders it, "age enduring."

If that were the case, then not only would punishment be temporary, but salvation too. That is, pardon my French, stupid.

The rest answered at http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=2584961&postcount=3

Upvote 0

Smithaw1

Mar 4, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
✟172.00
Faith
Baptist
Dear Christian-only, I'm just looking for the truth. I will however note that the book of Revelation doesn't contain language about aioinion life --you would think that it would-- since the future is its subject. I'm really not in to using logic to figure this stuff out. i want to know what the writers of the Bible --inspired by God himself-- meant when they said what they said. I don't mean to be "stupid." Sorry if I've made you mad. The idea made me mad at first because I thought it was devised by a bunch of liberals who really didn't care what the Bible says. I'm still not convinced but it seems that these people really do care what the Bible says.Also i would just like to say that no matter what either of us believe, we both share the same hope--Jesus Christ. The important thing for any Christian is to put on love. "Knowledge puffs up, love builds up!"

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
I don't have much time, so will only write to one or two point right now. I'll come back and address others.
Smithaw1 said:
Ephesians 2:8 says by grace through faith, but that this faith is a gift of God. Also Jesus talks several times in the Gospel about only the ones God chooses believes. This seems to fly directly in the face of free will. However, a doctrine I can't really accept is that God's plan is to save only a small minority of humanity --at most 5 or 10 %, but when we look at the # that actually follow Christ, more like .5% and consign the rest of creation to eternal torment without giving them a choice in the matter.

The first problem is that of "free will" - while we have "free will" in determining what we eat for breakfast, or what car we drive, or what computer we use, "free will" in the spiritual realm has not existed since the time of Adam and Eve's fall into sin. Notice in Ephesians 2:1 - "dead in trespasses and sin" - and in Ephesians 2:4-5 "God makes alive" - because we are spiritually dead, we have no ability, no free will, to change, get out of the predicament of sin. The only way that can happen is by God making us alive.

This leads me to universalism, which I had previously thought was held only by people who weren't Christians and didn't read the Bible--or at least took a few verses out of context. But how can you take 1 Timothy 2:4 out of context which says in the Greek that God intends (not desires as modern translations like to say) all men to be save.

Unless you have support for your understanding of the Greek word that is used in 1 Tim. 2:4, there is a reason that translations have used the English word "desires" or "wishes".

Or the verse in Romans 11 that says God gave all men over to sin so that he could have mercy on them all.
Also there are key passages in 1 Corinthians 15, Romans 8, and Colossians 1 that seem to teach the reconcilliation of the whole world through the work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

That means that Jesus Christ died for the sins of all, it does not claim that all will be saved. (Note this is neither an Arminian, nor a Calvinist view).

Before I thought all who believ must be implied in these passages becaus they just don't square with my view of hell as a place of eternal separation from God and torment! But universalist explain these verses. They say that the word "aionion" in the Greek is mistranslated in the Bible. Since aion means eon or age (like in the Great Commission) then aionion couldn's possibly have a meaning besides "of the age" or as Young's 1607 translation renders it, "age enduring." In fact, sometimes, when the King James scholars couldn't translate it any other way they had to render it something differenlt besides aionion. (For instance they translated aion and aionion like 7 different ways in the first chapter of Ephesians) But usually, however, they translated aionion to mean forever, everlasting, or eternal. Interestingly, the phrase "aionion" life doesn't occur in Revelation--after the church age, instead it says forever and ever which in the Greek means "to the aions of the aions" or "ages of the ages." The universaists argue that since the wages of sin is death, the same word for death that is used when a cow dies, then saying that God gives eternal torment would be to say God is unjust. Why, they ask,didn't God tell Adam what the "REAL" wages of sin were instead of just saying that he would surely die. What they believe is that sometime in the future ages that God, through Christ's sacrifice, will eventually reconcile ALL things to himself. This, of course, is what Paul SEEMS to be saying in certain passages.

I don't think the universalist position offers any substantial weight to the argument. AINON (and its plural form) presents problems for translators, because the word has several senses. This in itself is an exahustive study. You're only 22 years old. Give this 20-30 years of detailed Greek (and Hebrew) study before making a firm conclusions about the validity of the universalist arguments. It appears the universalist is making a generalist statement.

An interesting point they both make is that both Paul, in Romans 9(somewhere in the opening verses) and Moses (Exodus 32:32) both say they wish they could be cursed or cut off for Israel's sake. How could they have said this if it meant an eternity in fire? Can anyone really have this much love?

Yes, and Jesus gave up the royalty of heaven itself for sinners.

Another point they make is how could the "mere" death of Jesus pay the price for mankind's sin if the real wages of sin were eternal torment. (I squirm while writing that sentence, knowing about "The Passion of Jesus Chirst" the love Jesus has for me.)
The movie aside, there is nothing in Scripture about the "mere" death of Jesus. Consider Isaiah 52:13-53:12 and Psalm 49, etc.

Also, Universalists say even if it is only God's desire --and not something he controls-- for all to be saved then this will mean that God, in the future will be not quite satisfied, just a little bit frustrated.
That is reading into the text of Scripture a 21st century concern.

(Isaiah after all does say that all that God desires, he does.)
Are you sure that Isaiah 55:1-11 supports this contention? Reading in context, it does not appear so.

Finally they make the point that the method for salvation in Romans 10 is to confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead. In Philippians, Paul says that God God has exalted his Son so that at the name of Jesus every knee may bow (will be able to bow is how the Greek says is) and every tongue will be able to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Now I've always thought that at this point it would be too late. After all, whats the MERIT in saying Jesus is lord after we see him. But then I catch myself, there is never any MERIT to grace, "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" it is unmerited favor. Maybe when the are seeing God face to face they won't really believe in their hearts God raised him from the dead, but I highly doubt it!

But Romans 10 is not the all-inclusive text about salvation - Ephesians 2:1-10; 1 John 1:8-9; 1 John 2:1-2; Acts 16:25-33; Acts 2:38-39; Mark 16:16; Matthew 28:18-20, John 3:1-16... to name a few...

As you all can see, the Universalist arguement is pretty convincing and so I find myself on the fence. I'm waiting for a champion of orthodoxy to stand up and refute this nonsense, to show me how aionion can mean eternal, and why sinners really do deserve everlasting punishment in a place like where the rich man, in the rich man and lazarus was.

Notice the parallel in Matthew 25:31-46.

For myself, I have never questioned the idea that because of my sins I deserve to die, but it does not com enatural to me to say that because of my sin I deserve the same fate of the rich man ETERNALLY.
Of course it doesn't come naturally, that is Paul's whole point in 1 Cor. 1:18-25, 2:1-16 especially 2:14 "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit.

One last thing the Universalists say is that God is a purifying fire and the fires of hell are all about getting people--the unsaved-- ready for God's kingdom.
And the textual support for such a position? Yes, God is a "purifying fire", but notice the contexts in which is used. The "purifying fire" is not for the unbeliever, but the believer.

I would strongly encourage you to read the Scriptures in depth, many times. There is a reason that universalism has never been accepted as the orthodox teaching of the Christian Church.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
filosofer said:
The first problem is that of "free will" - while we have "free will" in determining what we eat for breakfast, or what car we drive, or what computer we use, "free will" in the spiritual realm has not existed since the time of Adam and Eve's fall into sin.

Somehow, by your free will, you have come to disagree with God on the subject of free will.

(Lev 1:3 NKJV) 'If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD.

(Lev 19:5 NKJV) 'And if you offer a sacrifice of a peace offering to the LORD, you shall offer it of your own free will.

(Exo 36:3 NKJV) ...So they continued bringing to him freewill offerings every morning.

Lev 22:18 KJV & NKJV ...freewill...

All the major translations contain the word freewill: KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV, NRSV, NLT

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
christian-only said:
Somehow, by your free will, you have come to disagree with God on the subject of free will.

In my haste to post, I wasn't thorough enough in distinguishing between free will prior to faith and free will after faith. In reality, my position on free will is consistent with the Bible. That is, prior to faith being created by God, the person has no free will, does not desire God, cannot desire God . After God has made the person alive, created faith/given faith, then the person has the burden of "free will" but not absolutely because the person who has faith in Jesus Christ also still struggles with the old self (Romans 7, for example).

All the passages you listed concern someone who is in the covenant community and has faith. Thus, those passages have nothing to do with "coming" to faith or "choosing" to serve God" (which is the crux of the argument about free will). Only those who are in faith can do what pleases God (Heb. 11:6). If someone does not have faith, then Romans 3:9-10, etc. apply.

Romans 8:6-8

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
christian-only said:
If that were the case, then not only would punishment be temporary, but salvation too. That is, pardon my French, stupid.

The rest answered at http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=2584961&postcount=3
Dr. Edward Beecher [Scriptural Doctrine Of Retribution]

Origen

The case of Origen is no less striking and conclusive. As an introduction to his system of theology, he states certain great facts as a creed believed by all the Church. In these he states the doctrine of future retribution as aionian life and aionian punishment, using the words of Christ. Now, if Origen understood aionios in the sense pertaining to the world to come, there would be nothing to prevent him from regarding aionian punishment as a remedial punishment destined to result in the ultimate restoration of all to holiness. On the other hand, if he understood aionios as meaning strictly eternal, then to pursue such a course would involve him in gross and palpable self-contradiction. But no one can hide the facts of the case. After setting forth the creed of the Church including aionian punishment, he forthwith proceeds, with elaborate reasoning, again and again to prove the doctrine of universal restoration.

The conclusion from these facts is obvious. Origen did not understand aionios as meaning eternal, but rather as meaning pertaining to the world to come.

The Emperor Justinian

Some centuries after the death of Origen, that great theologian in his own esteem, the Emperor Justinian, directed Mennas, the Patriarch of Constantinople, to call a local council in the year 544 to condemn errors of Origen. Among these errors was the doctrine of universal restoration. Justinian, in his letter to Mennas, presents an elaborate argument against that doctrine among others, and concludes it with a careful statement of the true faith.

Here, now, was a call for an unambiguous word to denote eternal, as applied to life and punishment.

The emperor, writing in Greek, had his choice of words. What word, then, from the full vocabulary of Greece, did he select? Did he rely on the word aionios as, of itself, sufficient for his purpose? Not at all. As if aware that it could denote simply “pertaining to the world to come,” he prefixes to it a word properly denoting eternal, so that his language is this, “The Holy Church of Christ teaches an endless aionian life to the righteous and endless punishment to the wicked.”

Here the word used to denote endless in both cases is ateleutetos. In the case of punishment he omits aionios entirely. To denote the endless life of the righteous he uses the same unambiguous word ateleutetos, but prefixes it to aionios.

But when he thus said the Church teaches an endless aionian life to the righteous, did he mean so flat a tautology as an endless endless life? Or did he prefix to the life of the world to come, as used in the creeds, a word that truly denotes eternal?

It deserves, also, particular notice, that, in a deliberate and formal effort to characterize the punishment of the wicked as strictly eternal, he does not rely on or use the word aionios at all, but employs an entirely different word, ateleutetos.

There was good reason for the distrust of Justinian of the power of the word aionios to express endless life and endless punishment.

One of his contemporaries, the philosopher Olympiodorus, had pointedly used the word as directly opposed to endless punishment, and denoting a limited period.

Speaking of the punishments of Tartarus, he says, Do not suppose that the soul is punished for endless aions [Greek letters here] in Tartarus.

Very properly, the soul is not punished to gratify the revenge of the divinity, but for the sake of healing. But we say that the soul is punished for an aionion period [Greek letters here], calling its life, and its allotted period of punishment, its aion.”

Of the very worst, he says that they need a second life, and a second period of punishment, to be made perfectly pure, and that Plato called this double period their aion. With this distinct denial of endless punishment before his eyes, and a recognition in its place of aionian punishment as the direct antithesis to it, how could Justinian express endless punishment except by another word denoting endlessness?

This usage of Olymiodorus coincides in principle with that of Dr. Tayler Lewis. Aionian punishment is for an age, or aion. Besides, the view of Prof. Lewis is in striking accordance with the usages of ancient creeds and ancient fathers, and has a verisimilitude so remarkable as to satisfy even a skeptical mind. It is a new instance of that linguistic sagacity for which he is so highly distinguished.

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/DoctrineOfRetribution.html

Greek Words Denoting Eternal

1. Akataluton= Imperishable/ endless

2. Aphthartos= Immortal/ imperishable

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=862&version=kjv

3. Amarantos= Unfading/ perennial

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=263&version=kjv

4. Amarantinos= Immortality/ perpetuity.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=262&version=kjv

5. Athanasia= Undying/ immortal/ everlasting/ deathlessness

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=110&version=kjv

6. Anui telos= Without end

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=5056&version=kjv

7. Analethron= Indestructible

8. Adioleipton= Never ceasing

9. Ateleuteton= Endless

10. Pantote= Forever

11. Eis tou dienekes= Forever

12. Aphtharsia= Incorruption/ perpetuity

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=861&version=kjv

13. Aphthartos= Imperishable/ immortal

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=862&version=kjv

The adjective, "aeonial" or age-long, cannot carry a force or express a duration greater than [the noun aeon] that of the ages, or "aeons" of which it speaks. If therefore these "ages" are limited periods, some of which are already past, while others, we know not how many, are yet to come, the word "aeonial" cannot mean strictly never-ending. Nor does this affect the true eternity of bliss of Gods elect, or of the redeemed who are brought back to live in God, and to be partakers of Christs "endless life"

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Definitions of Aion, Aionios

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw1.htm

Usage of Aion

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw2.htm

The Scholars Speak on Aion

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw3.htm

Apparent Bible Contradictions

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw4.htm

"Forever and Ever" - A Poor Translation

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw5.htm

What Saith The Translations?

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw6.htm

Eonian Means What? - A Search For Truth

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw7.htm

Greek Tools

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw8.htm

Aion in Greek Literature

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw9.htm

Bibles Without "Everlasting Punishment"

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw10.htm

Verses "Proving" Punishment Will be Everlasting

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw11.htm

Scholars Acknowledge Restitution of All

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw12.htm

Punishment? Yes -- Everlasting? No

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw13.htm

A Long, But Not Eternal Visit To "Hell"

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw14.htm

The "Chosen," Not "I have Chosen"

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw15.htm

Clearing Things Up

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw16.htm

The Complete Revelation

http://hellbusters.8m.com/asw17.htm

Appendix 1 - Commentary of Previous Presentation

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswapp1.htm

Appendix 2 - Do You Believe ALL in the Bible?

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswapp2.htm

Appendix 3 - Reconciliation Scriptures

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswapp3.htm

Appendix 4 - What Pleases the Father?

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswapp4.htm

Appendix 5 - What if we are Wrong?

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswapp5.htm

Epilogue

http://hellbusters.8m.com/aswepi.htm

Thine, O Lord, is the greatness;

Thine, O Lord, is the power

Thine, O Lord, is the glory

And the majesty and the splendor.

For all that is in the heavens and the earth is Yours

Yours is the kingdom and You are

Exalted as head over all,

Exalted as head over all.

http://newhopemusic.com/thine.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ripper

Apr 26, 2004
✟275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Smithaw1 said:
Well for the last 17 years, since I was 5 I have been a Southern Baptist, never deviating from free will, and eternal torment for the lost. In fact, I'm still in this camp just not as sure. Recently, I've come across some things, including my own reading of the Bible, that are making me rethink everything. First and foremost i would like to say that the One truth that I am sure of is that Jesus died for me and that there can be no hope for the world without the sacrifice of God's only son, Jesus Christ. The things that I'm questioning are who is saved? and is it in our control? Ephesians 2:8 says by grace through faith, but that this faith is a gift of God. Also Jesus talks several times in the Gospel about only the ones God chooses believes. This seems to fly directly in the face of free will. However, a doctrine I can't really accept is that God's plan is to save only a small minority of humanity --at most 5 or 10 %, but when we look at the # that actually follow Christ, more like .5% and consign the rest of creation to eternal torment without giving them a choice in the matter.

This leads me to universalism, which I had previously thought was held only by people who weren't Christians and didn't read the Bible--or at least took a few verses out of context. But how can you take 1 Timothy 2:4 out of context which says in the Greek that God intends (not desires as modern translations like to say) all men to be save. Or the verse in Romans 11 that says God gave all men over to sin so that he could have mercy on them all. Also there are key passages in 1 Corinthians 15, Romans 8, and Colossians 1 that seem to teach the reconcilliation of the whole world through the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Before I thought all who believ must be implied in these passages becaus they just don't square with my view of hell as a place of eternal separation from God and torment! But universalist explain these verses. They say that the word "aionion" in the Greek is mistranslated in the Bible. Since aion means eon or age (like in the Great Commission) then aionion couldn's possibly have a meaning besides "of the age" or as Young's 1607 translation renders it, "age enduring." In fact, sometimes, when the King James scholars couldn't translate it any other way they had to render it something differenlt besides aionion. (For instance they translated aion and aionion like 7 different ways in the first chapter of Ephesians) But usually, however, they translated aionion to mean forever, everlasting, or eternal. Interestingly, the phrase "aionion" life doesn't occur in Revelation--after the church age, instead it says forever and ever which in the Greek means "to the aions of the aions" or "ages of the ages." The universaists argue that since the wages of sin is death, the same word for death that is used when a cow dies, then saying that God gives eternal torment would be to say God is unjust. Why, they ask,didn't God tell Adam what the "REAL" wages of sin were instead of just saying that he would surely die. What they believe is that sometime in the future ages that God, through Christ's sacrifice, will eventually reconcile ALL things to himself. This, of course, is what Paul SEEMS to be saying in certain passages.

An interesting point they both make is that both Paul, in Romans 9(somewhere in the opening verses) and Moses (Exodus 32:32) both say they wish they could be cursed or cut off for Israel's sake. How could they have said this if it meant an eternity in fire? Can anyone really have this much love? Another point they make is how could the "mere" death of Jesus pay the price for mankind's sin if the real wages of sin were eternal torment. (I squirm while writing that sentence, knowing about "The Passion of Jesus Chirst" the love Jesus has for me.) Also, Universalists say even if it is only God's desire --and not something he controls-- for all to be saved then this will mean that God, in the future will be not quite satisfied, just a little bit frustrated. (Isaiah after all does say that all that God desires, he does.) Finally they make the point that the method for salvation in Romans 10 is to confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead. In Philippians, Paul says that God God has exalted his Son so that at the name of Jesus every knee may bow (will be able to bow is how the Greek says is) and every tongue will be able to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Now I've always thought that at this point it would be too late. After all, whats the MERIT in saying Jesus is lord after we see him. But then I catch myself, there is never any MERIT to grace, "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" it is unmerited favor. Maybe when the are seeing God face to face they won't really believe in their hearts God raised him from the dead, but I highly doubt it!

As you all can see, the Universalist arguement is pretty convincing and so I find myself on the fence. I'm waiting for a champion of orthodoxy to stand up and refute this nonsense, to show me how aionion can mean eternal, and why sinners really do deserve everlasting punishment in a place like where the rich man, in the rich man and lazarus was. For myself, I have never questioned the idea that because of my sins I deserve to die, but it does not com enatural to me to say that because of my sin I deserve the same fate of the rich man ETERNALLY. One last thing the Universalists say is that God is a purifying fire and the fires of hell are all about getting people--the unsaved-- ready for God's kingdom.
Do what everyone else does around here. Don't worry about the real truth and don't even bother looking for it... just assume your creed is truth and CONTRIVE, CONTRIVE, CONTRIVE to suite your creedal needs.

Ripper

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Smithaw1 said:
Well for the last 17 years, since I was 5 I have been a Southern Baptist, never deviating from free will, and eternal torment for the lost. In fact, I'm still in this camp just not as sure. Recently, I've come across some things, including my own reading of the Bible, that are making me rethink everything. First and foremost i would like to say that the One truth that I am sure of is that Jesus died for me and that there can be no hope for the world without the sacrifice of God's only son, Jesus Christ. The things that I'm questioning are who is saved? and is it in our control? Ephesians 2:8 says by grace through faith, but that this faith is a gift of God. Also Jesus talks several times in the Gospel about only the ones God chooses believes. This seems to fly directly in the face of free will. However, a doctrine I can't really accept is that God's plan is to save only a small minority of humanity --at most 5 or 10 %, but when we look at the # that actually follow Christ, more like .5% and consign the rest of creation to eternal torment without giving them a choice in the matter.]

I am going to throw on the table a few things to consider... I will not attempt to answer all then questions your post contains.

"He chose us, we did not choose him. "

I remember listening to a message given by a pastor who teaches exclusively from the original languages. He reads the KJV, then goes right to the Greek and Hebrew texts. This is not a simple run through a Strong's concordance. He teaches on the grammar and syntax of the passage. This verse contains in the Greek what is referred to as the dative of advantage." A more accurate rendition would be... "You did not choose me, but I chose you for my advantage/benefit."

Just prior to John 15:16, in verse 15, Jesus was saying that his disciples are no longer to be called slaves (doulos), but from then on, "friends."

A slave is chosen by his master. They did not choose to serve him. He chose them to serve him as their master. This does not mean he chose them for salvation. It means he chose them for his purpose (out of all the others who also believe). He chose them as slaves. Then he promoted them to being friends.

Slaves do not understand the reasons for what they do. They are told, and they do. A friend has an understanding as to why he is told to do something. And, if he does not, he trusts and follows what he was told out of love. A slave did not do things out of a friend's love. They just did what they were told.

When Jesus called them for his purpose, he chose them for his benefit. Out of all the believers he could have picked, he chose them. That is why the dative of advantage is seen in the Greek! You will not see this in generic English translations.

There is more. But for now... its time to end the confusion in this area.
The next thing I would like to cover is how salvation is a gift and not of ourselves. But for now, I will let the cynics take their shots on what I just gave you. :)
Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

inhimitrust

May 17, 2004
Texas
✟837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Smithaw1 said:
Dear Christian-only, I'm just looking for the truth. I will however note that the book of Revelation doesn't contain language about aioinion life --you would think that it would-- since the future is its subject. I'm really not in to using logic to figure this stuff out. i want to know what the writers of the Bible --inspired by God himself-- meant when they said what they said.
Either revelation is a devine "past event" or a future event. It is indeed a God inspired book as is the rest of the bible. The way it appears to me is that it started at Jerusalem ("garden of eden") and ended at Jerusalem (New Jerusalem).
Therefore, one can either read it as a whole completed book by God, or an incomplete one, ready to be ended in the future, in which case a hundred different opinions can be born out of it. My opinion is that it is complete, except for the great commission of spreading the gosple and bringing others to know God thru Christ.
God is indeed real and left His "diary" with us which is a miracle itself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.