The Greek of inappropriate contenteia

Elzic

Jun 4, 2011
✟7,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if that word is spelled right but that is the Greek word used in Matthew 5:32 when Jesus said that you can't divorce except for adultery.
4202 inappropriate contenteía (the root of the English terms "inappropriate contentography, inappropriate contentographic"; cf. 4205 /pórnos) which is derived from pernaō, "to sell off") – properly, a selling off (surrendering) of sexual purity; promiscuity of any (every) type.

as opposed to
[See also the contrasting term, 3430 /moixeía ("marital unfaithfulness").]
So if Jesus was saying that adultery is any sexual immorality, then

So that would mean that you can divorce for any sexual immorality, otherwise wouldn't it say "moixeia"...Well my husband struggles with inappropriate contentography, so does that mean I should divorce him? I don't want to but I keep being afraid God wants me to. I have forgiven him. And I have OCD and keep being afraid of making vows on the matter, which I'm not doing here, I'm just trying to get help.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't think Jesus was commanding one to divorce but was giving permission.

You have found the paradox that the modern definition of inappropriate contenteia is bring to us. If inappropriate contenteia is any sexual immorality then one can divorce for what ever we think is sexual immoral.

I believe inappropriate contenteia in Jesus' day had a meaning of prostitution with Jews and Christians being particularly concern about prostitution involving the fertility temple and therefore sexuality involved with idol worship.

Upvote 0

Lisa79

May 9, 2017
HALDEN
✟15,201.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I belive you have the permission to, but rather not. Remember that after all it is forbidden to get remarried. The best is to stay and pray. Win your husband to Jesus. You know there is a fight for his life there. Satan wants his life and your marriage to end. Even if a husband is having sex with another person it is just a guide to let you know you actually can leave. But than you must stay alone. It was not without reason the diciples thought marriage was evil. But the scripture says, who has greater love than this that he give his life for another. Hope you have had somone to get support from during this. It is hard to stay in it, and you need to forgive all the time. Thats the gift from Jesus. And somone to comfess and get comfort in Jesus from. Hope you did not leave. Good luck. Lisa

Upvote 0