Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
How would you, as a Calvinist, present the gospel to the lost?

"Jesus is King! Repent and be baptised!!"

Isaiah 52:7 "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!""

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not sure why you are always antagonistic towards me? I asked the question because I didn't want to assume anything.
I suppose my antagonism comes from having been asked such questions, in one form or another, so many times that it has become tedious. The very question assumes that we can't preach the Gospel. I would contend that we who believe in the free and sovereign grace of God in Christ are the only ones who do actually preach the Gospel as it is in Christ. We preach a salvation accomplished for sinners rather than a salvation possible if only man will allow it to be applied to them. Though we cannot and do not tell rebels that God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life, which you cannot find in the Scriptures by the way, we can and do tell sinners that there is a Savior who actually saved some folks described in the Scriptures as ungodly, dead in sin, full of iniquity, sinners, and God haters by nature. We need not single out any but can proclaim to all that there is mercy with the Lord. The doctrine of election doesn't keep any out that want in or shut the door on any who know what it is to be a sinner. We declare the love of God for sinners, just not all sinners. Because of the Gospel we preach we don't have to resort to various methods to convince or persuade folks to do something that they wouldn't normally do. We simply tell everyone we can about the Savior and what He did. We leave it up to God to convince. And we can preach with confidence that God has a people for whom Christ accomplished redemption who will hear and believe.

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose my antagonism comes from having been asked such questions, in one form or another, so many times that it has become tedious. The very question assumes that we can't preach the Gospel. I would contend that we who believe in the free and sovereign grace of God in Christ are the only ones who do actually preach the Gospel as it is in Christ. We preach a salvation accomplished for sinners rather than a salvation possible if only man will allow it to be applied to them. Though we cannot and do not tell rebels that God loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life, which you cannot find in the Scriptures by the way, we can and do tell sinners that there is a Savior who actually saved some folks described in the Scriptures as ungodly, dead in sin, full of iniquity, sinners, and God haters by nature. We need not single out any but can proclaim to all that there is mercy with the Lord. The doctrine of election doesn't keep any out that want in or shut the door on any who know what it is to be a sinner. We declare the love of God for sinners, just not all sinners. Because of the Gospel we preach we don't have to resort to various methods to convince or persuade folks to do something that they wouldn't normally do. We simply tell everyone we can about the Savior and what He did. We leave it up to God to convince. And we can preach with confidence that God has a people for whom Christ accomplished redemption who will hear and believe.
Amen! And we can do this with the expectancy that it will meet success not because of our ability to convince, but because our Shepherd has said, "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."
(Joh 10:26-28)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
well, you know what they say about assuming...

I have never said, nor implied that Calvinists don't preach the gospel. I listen to a lot of Calvinist preachers who preach the gospel. You may want to lighten up a bit because if this is how you come across to the lost, you may drive some away.

I have just been asking questions because that is what this forum is for. It isn't called "Accuse the Calvinists". I can do that elsewhere. most have taken a cordial approach, but some will take an elitist approach.

I guess I was wondering if, when sharing the gospel, you told the person that they may not be elect. From what I understand about the Calvinist view, God doesn't elect some and this somehow also shows His glory.

Do you tell them that?

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

I have never said, nor implied that Calvinists don't preach the gospel. I listen to a lot of Calvinist preachers who preach the gospel. You may want to lighten up a bit because if this is how you come across to the lost, you may drive some away.

I have just been asking questions because that is what this forum is for. It isn't called "Accuse the Calvinists". I can do that elsewhere. most have taken a cordial approach, but some will take an elitist approach.

I guess I was wondering if, when sharing the gospel, you told the person that they may not be elect. From what I understand about the Calvinist view, God doesn't elect some and this somehow also shows His glory.

Do you tell them that?

There is no need to mention the doctrine of election right off that bat just like there is no need to mention covenant theology right off the bat. Everything is to be set at its own time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I do know.

My initial post in this thread was based on experience with those who ask questions with a hidden agenda. Having read many of your previous questions and responses to the answers given I went with experience. I tend to seek to get to the point of things rather than take a long route which usually ends up at the same place. You apparently completely missed the spirit of my second post. I was just answering your question. I know that folks get offended when their true intentions are exposed and usually try to put the blame on the one who exposes them. Whether that is the case with you only you know. I make no apologies for the Gospel I preach.

If you knew anything about me you would know that I am as far from an elitist as you can get. There are few who truly ask questions because they want to learn when it comes to theological things. Those that do are easily known because of the manner in which they ask and the manner in which they receive the answers given. Most others ask just to have a platform from which to launch their own opinions of what we believe. They aren't really interested in the answers. My perception of you is that you seem to be struggling with knowing what we say is true but unwilling to bow to it as yet. I think that maybe you are grasping for excuses to not believe it.

Do you tell them that?
As I said in my previous post I tell sinners that there is a sovereign Savior. I preach the sovereignty of God in salvation without compromise or apology. The focus isn't on the non-elect as your question assumes. To what purpose would it serve to tell folks that they may not be elect? I plainly and as clearly as the Lord gives me ability, tell sinners that there is a sovereign Savior.

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Do you tell them that?
Absolutely! Why wouldn't I? Of course, I would take their inquisitiveness into the things of God to be a likely indication of their election, and tell them that as well. You see, I really and actually believe my Redeemer when He says things, and He said that His sheep know His voice and follow Him. That was not mere rhetoric.

There is no need, nor would it be appropriate, to obfuscate or abridge when presenting the Gospel. Man's machinations are powerless and tainted with sin; the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth, and needs no embellishment.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, everyone for their responses. Two different views of the same question. That is why I asked...to see if there was conformity, or if there were differing views.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, everyone for their responses. Two different views of the same question. That is why I asked...to see if there was conformity, or if there were differing views.
Yes there is brother. There is vast differences between reformed bretheren but the tenents which unite us is the doctrines of grace or tulip as im sure you were informed before.

Upvote 0

beloved57

Jun 16, 2006
✟4,663.00
Faith
Calvinist
How would you, as a Calvinist, present the gospel to the lost?

The gospel is a testimony to the saved and lost..

2 cor 2:

14Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
15For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? 17For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

The saved..those for whom christ saved by his death, the testimony of the gospel, reveals life..to the lost or them perishing, the gospel merely confirms them in death and condemnation..

Gods purpose is being fulfilled either way..who is suffucent for these things ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums