The Gift Of Discernment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
I would like to have some input on the gift of discernment. The Bible being my final authority, I can use scripture to discern some matters.
On the other hand, I have met people, & seen people on TV, who claim to have the gift of discernment & this is totally different to me. Such as: they claim to have the ability to see into other people's hearts; they can walk past a stranger & know their sins, such as-"this guy is a child molester "is what someone on tv said. Another one says they know people's desires & loved ones names. I'm talking about Christians here. Any help? Thanks, Debbie

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Debbie don't believe everthing that you see or heat on TV. The gift of discernment is the ability to distinguish the diffrence between true and false spirits. In the case of the people you were talking about no one can really see into our hearts or thoughts except Jesus.

Upvote 0
I think that if someone can see into the heart of another person, it perhaps could be a genuine concern for the condition of that person's spiritual well-being. Also, i have heard of the gift of discernment, but also each christian has that. We have the Holy Spirit that God has so graciously blessed us with.

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Kelco....

I would also have to say that sometimes God will reveal something specific to you about a person (which might be a sin), which is the word of knowledge, but it will be given from the point of the love of the Lord and will have the purpose of benefitting the person concerned. It might be a specific sin which is in need of repentance.

Having said that, I would be sceptical about someone who knows this about everyone or a high majority of people.

Upvote 0
Actually, the origin of the idea as a "gift" began with Solomon who prayed for discernment to distinguish between "good and evil", which context shakal is common found in. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PEOPLE. It has everything to do with what they say (confused, inexpressive, nonthinking, inconsiderate, unameit) God is their judge not any other believer. However what they say and what they do, as it affects the individual believer, IS an issue before the Lord which according to one's understanding, one is responsible for.

A RATHER GRAPHIC AND OBVIOUS EXAMPLE:

IF some pastor stands up in the pulpit and solicits his congregation to meet the Lord by taking poisoned KOOLAID, then they may be assured the divine discipline of the sin unto death for not using discernment.

SO that in the NT the gift itself again regards false teaching and false teachers. It has nothing to do with judging someone else's life.This mentality of a judge is both spiritually and mentally crippling to any individual. He cannot afford it, even from a common sense , much less spiritual, point of view.

Hope this helps,
Brian L.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Debbie,
the proper term is gift of discernment of spirits. This is one of the 9 supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit as He wills.

As the name implies, when this gift is in operation in a Christian's life, as the SPIRIT WILLS, eg when he is praying for the sick, what happens is that he can "know" or "see" what spirit is behind a problem. egs are: acutally seeing into the spirit realm and seeing a demon cling on to a cancer patient, knowing the name of the spirit, hence being able to cast it out. It's one of the tools the Holy Spirit gives to the church to help her battle and overcome the works of the devil.

But bear in mind that the gift of the discernment of spirits is NOT a fault-finding, nit-picking ability! It is real. Yes at times the Holy Spirit may reveal to a Pastor that so and so is living in adultery. This is actually a gift of the Word of Knowledge. The Pastor should then take him aside privately and correct him in love back to wholeness. Usu the person will be stunned by the fact that God knows and has pointed it out. And will repent.

So you see, the gifts build up the church and empower it for good works.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
Here is scripture which some of the people I know use to back up the fact that they can read people's heartfelt desires and /or sins: 1 Cor. 14:24 is referring to a situation where an unbeliever can come into a church and prophets(yet others refer to this as the gift of knowledge, discernment, wisdom, discernment of spirits, etc) read the heart of the stranger & he is immediately a believer because his heart was told to him . Verse 25: "ANd thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest;and so falling down on his face he will worship God and report that God is in you of a truth."
THus the secrets of the stranger's heart is made manifest to the prophet. BUt most people attribute this gift to discernment.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Be extremely careful before using "discernment of spirits." I have known people who thought they had it, but didn't, and ruined the name of the church by accusing folks of sin they weren't committing.

You can't go around saying that you can read someone's heart and soul, only God can really do that. Only God can see their secret sins, and He doesn't usually tell other people.

Besides, imagine how you would feel if some stranger came up to you claiming to know your sins. You would get away from that crackpot as fast as you could! It wouldn't change your heart, make you repent or draw you to Christ, it would only scare you.

The Bible as explicit instructions about what you should do if you know someone is sinning. Go to them privately and try to get them to repent. If that doesn't work, take someone with you to talk to the sinner. If that doesn't work, go before the church with the matter. But it doesn't say to stand in the town center and blab everyone's sins to the world!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Hi Debbie:

This is a repost from a couple of posts ago >

Here is scripture which some of the people I know use to back up the fact that they can read people's heartfelt desires and /or sins: 1 Cor. 14:24 is referring to a situation where an unbeliever can come into a church and prophets(yet others refer to this as the gift of knowledge, discernment, wisdom, discernment of spirits, etc) read the heart of the stranger & he is immediately a believer because his heart was told to him . Verse 25: "ANd thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest;and so falling down on his face he will worship God and report that God is in you of a truth."
THus the secrets of the stranger's heart is made manifest to the prophet. BUt most people attribute this gift to discernment.

I underlined the last statement, because that is the misunderstanding in question here.

The true understanding of these verses lies within what these verses say within their context. And not what they do not say. The comment that I underlined , is what these verses in context do not say !

These verses in context say that if an unbeliever , or unlearned person who hears speaking in tongues, will they not say that you are mad ? That is because they are either unlearned or an unbeliever. In the next verse , which would be verse 24. This verse is a continuation from verse 23, and must be read in light of what verse 23 says. Verse 23 is saying "if all speak in tongues " and verse 24 is saying - "But if all prophesy ". "He is convinced of all", "He is judged of all" -- These two comments made within this verse, are to inform the believers , not the unbeliever, as to whether or not the prophecy that is being spoken (which is in the known language of the hearer) is being accepted. If the prophecy is being accepted by the hearer (unlearned or unbeliver) then come verse 25 - The the secrets of his heart are made manifest by his action or reaction to accept or reject the prophecy being spoken. If accepted - He will the worship God in recognition of the prophecy being spoken, and he will report that God is in you, working in you, that which is the good will and pleasure of God.

What these three verses "are not " -- is discerning of spirits !

Anyone who claims that these three verse are, are either false brethren claiming false doctrine, or they are totally ignorant of the scriptures ! Either way --- stay away from their claims !

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Upvote 0
Debbie,

While going through the process of discovering my own Spiritual gifts, I was taught that they always do two things:

1) They glorify God.
2) They serve others and build His kindgom.

If you see someone who claims to have a gift, watch and see who or what that gift glorifies when he uses it. That should tell you where it came from.

Hope that helps!

Eric

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.