Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Arikay
Ic, so wisdom comes from god. Since you follow god, you think you are wiser than everyone who doesnt, right?

So, you want to take this up over here? Ok.

There are two groups of people in this world, the children of God and the children of the devil. I would think that the children of God have more wisdom, because they are going to live forever, and the children of the devil are going to be destroyed.

Also, the children of the devil are in bondage to sin and they have been lied to and are deceived. The children of God are walking in liberty and freedom, and in the truth.

So, what does this have to do with the Gap theory?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by rnemeth
...will the discussion come back to the gap theory, or is this topic closed?

I would be glad to talk about the gap theory, but no one here can think of anything to say about it right now.

The whole gap theory seems to hinge on the idea that before the end of the ice age, all life on earth was destroyed, and God started all over again about 12,000 years ago.

It's a 100 year old theory and I am not sure much has been added to it in that amount of time.

Upvote 0

Tenek

Dec 3, 2002
✟1,232.00
Originally posted by JohnR7
I would be glad to talk about the gap theory, but no one here can think of anything to say about it right now.

The whole gap theory seems to hinge on the idea that before the end of the ice age, all life on earth was destroyed, and God started all over again about 12,000 years ago.

It's a 100 year old theory and I am not sure much has been added to it in that amount of time.

All right. So what exactly would prompt Him to start all over? To throw around enough stuff to make it *look* like He didn't create it X,000 years ago and then write a book saying that He did? Is He just trying to confuse us?

Upvote 0
I believe if we proceed solely upon the word of God, setting aside the temptation to rectify time and appease geologists, the Lord will bless our understanding.

The Gap Theory does not hinge upon "time" but upon Gen. 1:2. If this text can be correctly explained you will have knocked three of the four legs of the theory out, or you will have establish a solid scriptual proof of an old earth.

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
5th February 2003 at 08:05 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #25 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=635070#post635070)

Interesting point, John. The Gap theory (also known as the Interval and Restitution theory, the Divine Judgment theory, and the Recreation theory) was more popular about 50-80 years ago than it is now, though internet websites have revived it a bit.

The Gap theory is usually largely based upon the fact that Hebrew tends to be more general and less specific than English or Greek. Thus, Hebrew words can often have a wider range of meanings. In the first part of Genesis 1:2 ["and the earth it was formless, void and empty"], the verb hayethah (which is generally translated "it was") can also be translated as "it became." Proponents of the Gap Theory therefore generally claim that Genesis 1:2 should be translated to read "and the earth became formless, void and empty" rather than using the more common translation of the phrase. This theory uses passages (primarily in Isaiah and Ezekiel) regarding the fall of Satan or Lucifer to bolster the theory that the world was created in Gen. 1:1 but became formless and void because of Satan's fall, and then creation continued in verse two.

However, there are some proponents of the Gap theory who go about it slightly differently. Instead of translating hayethah as "it became" they use verse one of Genesis to emphasize that God had created the Earth "in the beginning" of creation, but by verse two, the Earth was formless, void and empty.

It should probably be noted that Hebrew had no single word for universe. Instead, the Hebrew phrase "the heavens and the earth" is the Hebrew equivalent of the English word universe. Thus, when the Bible says that "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth," it is also correct to interpret it as meaning "In the beginning, God created the universe."

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't know to what extent (if any) this poll accurately reflects the current popularity or unpopularity of the Gap theory, but it might be noted that thus far no one has chosen either version of the Gap theory presented in the poll as being what he or she believes regarding creation.

Upvote 0