Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oddly enough, or perhaps not odd at all - when a group is very orthodox it pulls more into its fold.
I did hear the number of orthodox faithful women becoming nuns has increased.

When things went awry for a while - ppl stopped wanting to become nuns.

Upvote 0

Vasallus

Feb 22, 2011
✟2,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oddly enough, or perhaps not odd at all - when a group is very orthodox it pulls more into its fold.
I did hear the number of orthodox faithful women becoming nuns has increased.

When things went awry for a while - ppl stopped wanting to become nuns.

Exactly. My wife in on the vocation committee, and when she started investigating it turned out that communities that are more traditional and wear habits are turning potential members away.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. My wife in on the vocation committee, and when she started investigating it turned out that communities that are more traditional and wear habits are turning potential members away.
:thumbsup:

Good to know first hand what i read was true.

Goodness - holiness - piety via the Lord has more pull.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While I agree that most young women investigating religious life join habited orders, and while these orders may be flourishing, I don't see the numbers of sisters ever approaching what it was in the 1950's when I was in grammar school.

I have noticed that more men are entering the seminary--but the difference is that there is nothing a nun can do that a laywoman can't do, while laymen can't become priests.

The additional layer of bureacracy that the CDF is trying to inflict on nuns only makes it more likely that a young woman can accomplish more for God as a layperson than she could as a sister.

Look around your typical parish--women generally run most of the programs. Lay women can dedicate their whole lives to God without going through the whole process of "Mother Superior, may I?"

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I agree that most young women investigating religious life join habited orders, and while these orders may be flourishing, I don't see the numbers of sisters ever approaching what it was in the 1950's when I was in grammar school.

I have noticed that more men are entering the seminary--but the difference is that there is nothing a nun can do that a laywoman can't do, while laymen can't become priests.

The additional layer of bureacracy that the CDF is trying to inflict on nuns only makes it more likely that a young woman can accomplish more for God as a layperson than she could as a sister.

Look around your typical parish--women generally run most of the programs. Lay women can dedicate their whole lives to God without going through the whole process of "Mother Superior, may I?"

LOL Like I said I love it when a theological plan comes together!:D

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's a USCCB report on vocations. Only 122 candidates were making perpetual profession in 2011---that includes habited and non-habited nuns and brothers.

There was a lot of demographic information--average age of nun making perpetual profession is 39, brothers 42. A bunch of other stuff.

But at the moment there are about 57,000 nuns in the U.S. At the "replacement rate of 122 per year," that would mean that 12,200 nuns would make profession in a 100 year period.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-te...ew-Sisters-and-Brothers-in-Perpetual-Vows.pdf

And so even if the habited orders are garnering a greater percentage, that is still a very, very small number.

A lot of men and women try out religious life, even today, God bless them. Most of them don't stay.

The recent book I read by someone who left the Missionaries of Charity after 20 years indicated that she became a postulant in the Bronx with 8 other women, and by the time six months was over she was the only one left.

And I don't think that's a bad thing. If a woman or man devotes 2 or 3 or 4 years to God's service and decides it's not really his/her calling, God bless him/her, with my thanks, for the work he/she's done.

I also worry for the women in the habited orders, who see how the sisters in the LCWR are being treated. It's bound to send up some red flags to them, and it's bound to make them worry about their lives being dictated by outsiders who have very little knowledge about their actual ministries. I'm sure they are watching all of this unfold as their own skepticism and cynicism grows and they build some self-protective barriers and boundaries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh I don't think you have to worry about the CMSWR getting nervous about the vatican and the LCWR. In fact allow me to quote to you Fantine what some of the CMSWR nuns have said about the LCWR and its repsonse to Rome.

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma are criticizing the Leadership Conference of Women Religious and its defenders for using an impoverished “language of politics” instead of “the language of faith” in the dialogue with the Catholic hierarchy The language of politics arises from the social marketplace,” they said. .....“The Sisters who use political language in their responses to the magisterial Church reflect the poverty of their education and formation in the faith"

Amen! Preach it sisters!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh I don't think you have to worry about the CMSWR getting nervous about the vatican and the LCWR. In fact allow me to quote to you Fantine what some of the CMSWR nuns have said about the LCWR and its repsonse to Rome.

Official statements don't always reflect what the rank and file members think. I am aware that the CMSWR leadership will be cautious and prudent. That doesn't mean that the average nun in the chapel doesn't feel some unease and, perhaps, even second thoughts about her vocation.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Official statements don't always reflect what the rank and file members think. I am aware that the CMSWR leadership will be cautious and prudent. That doesn't mean that the average nun in the chapel doesn't feel some unease and, perhaps, even second thoughts about her vocation.

LOL........Sisters who use political language in their responses to the magisterial Church reflect the poverty of their education and formation in the faith"

...I love it when a theological plan comes together!:D

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
[/U][/I][/B]...I love it when a theological plan comes together!:D

At the rate of 12,000 professions every century, I would think that "limping along" is a more accurate description.

I'm not saying that the CMSWR sisters aren't good people, or even that they're not called to their particular vocation.

I'm just saying that 122 professions a year doesn't mean that a dying profession is making a turnaround.

What has happened, basically, is that far fewer women and men enter religious life (non-ordained). The few that do are the most conservative. And so in the future you may have nothing but conservative orders--if the average "term of service" of a sister is 50 years (from 30 to 80, perhaps) then at some point there will be 6,000 sisters in the US. 10% of what we have today. 120 per state.

They may not have found the winning formula for vocations---most likely it's not been discovered yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At the rate of 12,000 professions every century, I would think that "limping along" is a more accurate description.

I'm not saying that the CMSWR sisters aren't good people, or even that they're not called to their particular vocation.

I'm just saying that 122 professions a year doesn't mean that a dying profession is making a turnaround.

What has happened, basically, is that far fewer women and men enter religious life (non-ordained). The few that do are the most conservative. And so in the future you may have nothing but conservative orders--if the average "term of service" of a sister is 50 years (from 30 to 80, perhaps) then at some point there will be 6,000 sisters in the US. 10% of what we have today. 120 per state.

They may not have found the winning formula for vocations---most likely it's not been discovered yet.

Yep...LOL........Sisters who use political language in their responses to the magisterial Church reflect the poverty of their education and formation in the faith"

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep...LOL........Sisters who use political language in their responses to the magisterial Church reflect the poverty of their education and formation in the faith"

Well, I've got to hand it to you, Athanasias, you are an extraordinarily patient man.

Upvote 0