Visit site
✟16,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone read that yet? It's a good book. (so far anyway) I'm not sure if this forum is just for Christian literature or not...I didn't read anywhere that it was...but then again, I didn't ask. Anyway, has anyone read that.... I'm on about page 250. The "preview" to the book said that the book was about the "perfect man" created by Ayn Rand, according to objectivism philosophy. I'm wondering...which character is that guy...is it Peter Keating or Howard Roark.

Also, so many people have called it an intellectually challenging book....I'm not getting that...am I missing some key part.....

Anyway, what were your thoughts on the book?

*I haven't finished it yet so PLEASE do NOT give anything away lol

Miaka-Chan

Wife, Mom, Teacher
Jun 24, 2003
New Mexico
Visit site
✟8,001.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't read the fountain head, but I have read ayn rand's anthem, which really makes you think. Be sure to post what you think of the book when your done, tell me if its really good so i can read it :D Sorry I couldn't be more help. -- Miaka

Upvote 0

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Fountainhead is one of the best books ever written. Pick up Atlas Shrugged after you're done--it's her masterpiece.

You have to decide for yourself which is Rand's ideal man. Telling you the answer would give away the book. But ask yourself--which does she portray in a positive light? Which man is the one that Rand likes better? Answer that, and you'll know. If you're on page 250, you should be able to get it.

No, this forum is not just for Christian literature. Rand's books, however, are just about as far from Christianity as one could get, considering that she disagreed with the entire philosophy of the religion and was a lifelong atheist.

Upvote 0

Terri12345

I'm me
Mar 30, 2002
Chicagoland suburbs
Visit site
✟16,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm thinking the ideal man may is Howard, but I dunno, I mean... I didn't read into the whole philosophy thing, but it could be Peter, because he goes for what he wants...and stuff. I don't know, I guess I'll have to re-read the philosophy parts and then make another judgement. :)
Thanks for responding guys, no one is ever reading, or has ever read the books I am. Usually anyway. Got suggestions about other good, philosophy type books, one that help ya think?
(Atlas Shurged (spelled wrong) is next on my list and Anthem)

Upvote 0

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Terri12345 said:
I'm thinking the ideal man may is Howard, but I dunno, I mean... I didn't read into the whole philosophy thing, but it could be Peter, because he goes for what he wants...and stuff. I don't know, I guess I'll have to re-read the philosophy parts and then make another judgement.
You can PM me when you finish the book if you'd like to talk about it. Considering that I've read the book probably fifteen times, I think it's pretty safe to say that I know it well. :) There are another couple of people on this board--Eudamonist, I think, and Nora Eresu--who are also advocates of Objectivism, so they'd be other good people to talk to.

Thanks for responding guys, no one is ever reading, or has ever read the books I am. Usually anyway. Got suggestions about other good, philosophy type books, one that help ya think?
There are a lot of good books I could recommend. Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World is a classic of rational thought. Thomas Paine's Age of Reason. Fowler's Modern English Usage is a good place to start if you're interested in how we communicate and how most people misuse language. Anything by Aristotle. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I could tell you of many good non-theistic books to read, but I doubt that that would be well-received here. Anyway, the list could go on and on, and I'm sure that others here will contribute their own thoughts. I would recommend, though, that you not confine yourself to one genre.

Essentially, learning how to think is not a process of reading what others think to find what fits you--it's reading to learn how YOU think by the process of watching your own mind respond to ideas. If at the end of The Fountainhead, you discover that you despise Howard Roark, then you've learned something about yourself, but not necessarily about Ayn Rand. And that's true if you find that you despise Peter Keating, too.

Upvote 0

Terri12345

I'm me
Mar 30, 2002
Chicagoland suburbs
Visit site
✟16,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are a lot of good books I could recommend. Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World is a classic of rational thought. Thomas Paine's Age of Reason. Fowler's Modern English Usage is a good place to start if you're interested in how we communicate and how most people misuse language. Anything by Aristotle. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I could tell you of many good non-theistic books to read, but I doubt that that would be well-received here. Anyway, the list could go on and on, and I'm sure that others here will contribute their own thoughts. I would recommend, though, that you not confine yourself to one genre.
Hey, Carl Sagan was a scientist right? I think I remeber reading about him or seeing a movie about him in biology class. Evolutionist? Thomas Paine was of course one of the founding father type people...but I can't remember what he did. (my memory gets a little foggy past 7th grade :p

I have read Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange land. My dad and uncle swapped books, my dad gave my uncle The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, and my uncle gave my dad taht book. (neither of them ever read the other's book) but I saw the book and picked it up (I was about 14) I never finished the book, but then my internet buddy recommended it this year and I went out and bought it. VERY GOOD BOOK!

Essentially, learning how to think is not a process of reading what others think to find what fits you--it's reading to learn how YOU think by the process of watching your own mind respond to ideas. If at the end of The Fountainhead, you discover that you despise Howard Roark, then you've learned something about yourself, but not necessarily about Ayn Rand. And that's true if you find that you despise Peter Keating, too.
Good point. You are right. As I was reading, I found myself asking, which guy am I supposed to like, which one am I supposed to feel sympathy for. Am I supposed to like Dominique or am I supposed to hate her. But that's not what I'm supposed to do lol. I'm supposed to like whichever character I like, and to think, whatever I think.

Anyway, thanks for the list :) I will go and buy some of those books after I get paid. :)

Upvote 0

HazyRigby

Bunny Infidel
Aug 4, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟10,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Terri12345 said:
Hey, Carl Sagan was a scientist right?
Right. He was a scientist who tried to make science accessible to non-scientists.

Thomas Paine was of course one of the founding father type people...but I can't remember what he did.
He's most famous for writing the pamphlet Common Sense--but I happen to think that Age of Reason is his most fascinating work.

Good point. You are right. As I was reading, I found myself asking, which guy am I supposed to like, which one am I supposed to feel sympathy for. Am I supposed to like Dominique or am I supposed to hate her. But that's not what I'm supposed to do lol. I'm supposed to like whichever character I like, and to think, whatever I think.
Exactly. But moreover, after you finish, you can do research and find out what Rand wanted you to get from the book. If that's not what you saw, then you have learned something.

Upvote 0

sowellfan

Nov 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,000.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've read Atlas Shrugged, and I started another of her books (the semi-autobiographical one). I agree with Rand about a lot of things, but I disagree on Christianity. The only problem with Atlas Shrugged were those incredibly long philosophical monologues. I guess the content was necessary, but *wow* were they long.

Regarding other philosophy books, I'm kind of stuck in the middle of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. It seems like it's taking this guy a long long time to say what he wants to say about how to live life. Has anybody else read this? The whole 'what is quality' thing is just driving me nuts.

Upvote 0