Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The Florida Project is a movie that came out a year ago, but I saw it a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about rewatching it soon. It's probably the best film I've seen in recent history. It's an indie film directed by Sean Baker.

The acting is really good all around, even though mostly it is made of first-time actors, except for Willem Dafoe, who plays a kindly, protective manager of a motel in Kissimee, Florida where alot of poor people stay. The film focuses on children and the innocence of childhood despite living in a harsh reality.

It does contain some adult themes, though, so its not really a film for young children, but its so realistic and the acting is good enough its almost like a documentary (except the ending, where it abruptly shifts to the fantastical or imaginary, which is very clever considering the title of the film refers to Disney World's original project name, which is not far from where this was filmed).

I love Sean Baker's movies, but his other big film, Tangerine, would probably be more controversial for a Christian audience since its about transsexual prostitutes in Los Angeles. But he does a good job of showing American stories that Hollywood tends to ignore and emphasizing the humanity of his subjects.

BTW, this film is free for Amazon Prime subscribers, another bonus.

Last edited:

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The Florida Project is a movie that came out a year ago, but I saw it a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about rewatching it soon. It's probably the best film I've seen in recent history. It's an indie film directed by Sean Baker.

The acting is really good all around, even though mostly it is made of first-time actors, except for Willem Dafoe, who plays a kindly, protective manager of a motel in Kissimee, Florida where alot of poor people stay. The film focuses on children and the innocence of childhood despite living in a harsh reality.

It does contain some adult themes, though, so its not really a film for young children, but its so realistic and the acting is good enough its almost like a documentary (except the ending, where it abruptly shifts to the fantastical or imaginary, which is very clever considering the title of the film refers to Disney World's original project name, which is not far from where this was filmed).

I love Sean Baker's movies, but his other big film, Tangerine, would probably be more controversial for a Christian audience since its about transsexual prostitutes in Los Angeles. But he does a good job of showing American stories that Hollywood teds to ignore and emphasizing the humanity of his subjects.

BTW, this film is free for Amazon Prime subscribers, another bonus.

A friend of mine happens to have a brief camel on that movie ad they were filming at the hotel she works at.

She is the girl that says no thank you to the female asking to sell her make-up. My friend was on her way out to her car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0