Logan City
✟758,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To quote the authors of both the following articles, "The Catholic Church does not prohibit interpretations of Genesis 6-8 that include a worldwide flood, but neither does the Church require there to be a worldwide flood in all interpretations of these passages. "

The second link is mentioned in the first article.

When I was a new Christian a bit over 40 years ago I was a bit of a fanatic on "Creation Science". I've since become less dogmatic, but I still believe that there is a colossal intelligence behind everything, so pervasive in its knowledge of us that "indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Luke 12:7 NIV) This omiscient, omnipresent, omnipotent Being hides Himself pretty well.

Actually I don't think He hides Himself so much as the fact He has put some sort of barrier in place which prevents us from seeing Him. I think it's "space-time" but that's conjecture on my part.

I occasionally waste time day dreaming about things. In Febuary 2022 two years ago we had floods around here. I think I calculated several million Olympic sized swimming pools were held up in the air in the form of clouds which were then dropped over a few days. When Hiroshima was destroyed by a nuclear bomb, all it took was about 1.1 kilogram of matter to be converted to energy.

Take a look around and get some idea of the amount of compressed energy all around us.

But normally what is the result of all these phenomenal forces of nature combining together in our vicinity?

"Just another nice day...."

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are hundreds of Flood accounts, from virtually every ancient culture everywhere on the planet: our account of it comes from the Middle East, but the Africans have Flood accounts, as well; so do the ancient Europeans; so do the Eskimos; so do the Native American cultures (in both North and South America); so do the Australian Aborigines; so do the Chinese; so do the Pacific islander cultures. So I, personally, think that it's pretty clear that some sort of Large Water Event happened on a global scale. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are Catholics supposed to believe the flood was global or are we allowed to believe it was regional?
The Catholic Church does not prohibit interpretations of Genesis 6-8 that include a worldwide flood, but neither does the Church require there to be a worldwide flood in all interpretations of these passages. Instead, according to Pope Pius XII, “in simple and metaphorical language adapted to the mentality of a people but little cultured,” the first eleven chapters of Genesis “both state the principal truths which are fundamental for our salvation, and also give a popular description of the origin of the human race and the chosen people” (Humani Generis 38).

Consequently, the flood could be understood as impacting the entire world, or possibly a large region of the world. If it did impact the entire world, animals in distant regions would likely have been miraculously transported to the ark.

On the other hand, if the flood was more regional, a view which has gained increasing traction in recent centuries because of scientific findings, then all the animals of the world would not have been destroyed, and thus polar bears and penguins would not have been affected.

The flood may have covered the whole earth, or it may have destroyed all men, covering only a certain part of the earth ...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok,so then it’s A-OK to believe the flood was regional? I ask because in my priests homily last night he made it sound like it was global.
Yep. It’s A-OK. :)

You are free to believe either way.

Upvote 0