The Flood

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
WHy would seashells on a hilltop be evidence of a flood? Marine fossils occur on mountain tops all over the planet. I have found marine fossils myself in the middle of the prairies just north of the Montana border. I have heard creationists claim that these are evidence of a deluge before. Does that mean the floodwaters were saline? How long were the flood waters there? long enough to allow marine ecosystems to become established? In that case these salty waters must have persisted for decades. Why do fossil beds transect through mountains - inside them. WHy are they layered according to age? Why can you find appropriatly aged layers at the corresponding altitudes on adjasent mountains?

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Continental drift, tectonic uplift and subsidance have all been measured directly. We have techniques accurate enough to actually measure the movement of the earth's crust. We know that erosion happens and that climates can change. Populations of organisms can mutate, change and even speciate over generations. It has all been observed - directly . So, what makes more sense. To apply what we know happness to organisms and the earth to come up with a picute of how old the planet is and how it (and it's biosphere) have changed, OR to take crytpic referenced from an ancient text (like "fountains of the deep"), , and try to paint the same picture. It is like saying "well, it could of happened like this - inspite of all the evidence that says it didnt". One method used observed properties of nature to come up with an answer, the other dismisses them to come up with the answer. Imagine a homocide investigation that ignores the murder weapon, fingerprints, DNA evidence and eyewitnesses just so that it can make a case against an imaginary "demon".

Upvote 0

Humanista

Empirically Speaking
Sep 21, 2002
Visit site
✟12,499.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by My Higher Self
That's a good point, I can't wait for some theories there too!!

I've always thought the logistics behind gathering that many animals, feeding them and taking care of them was a bit much to make the story believable. It would take hundreds of people I imagine...I mean look at modern zoos. I would also have to imagine that he took more than a single pair of many animals....other wise what would the carnivores eat while they were on the ark?

Do you know how many different species of insects there are? I think there are something like 30,000 different beatles alone. And if evolution didn't happen, Noah would have had to capture 2 of every insect and provide it with the appropriate environment and food source. Some insects and animals can ONLY live within a very narrow temperature range, humidity, etc or they wil die. How did Noah and Co. know how to care for the hundreds of thousands of separate and distinct insect species, not to mention that Bubonic Plague, polio, smallpox, anthrax, and all other bacteria and viruses that afflict humans would have to have had Noah's family as hosts in order to survive.

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
Originally posted by Homie
About the flood, I recon God must have done a fair bit of supernatural stuff, or else it seems difficult (yet not impossible) that Noah and his family could feed all those animals, it wouldn't be the 1st time and certainly not the last time God performed miracles, remember when Jesus fed the 5000 people.

See...this is what I don't get. If god is going to do all that work to do supernatural god stuff, why did he make Noah gather all the animals in the first place...why didn't he just recreate them after the floods?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by My Higher Self
See...this is what I don't get. If god is going to do all that work to do supernatural god stuff, why did he make Noah gather all the animals in the first place...why didn't he just recreate them after the floods?

Good question.

Or why not dispense with Noah entirely and just poof into existence a fleet of boats, one for each species. Surely if he can create living things a mere boat is child's play.

Or, if the goal was to exterminate the evil people, why not try that plague of locusts thing or that passover thing again. Those worked well the first time he tried them. Or would that simply be too boring the second time around?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums