Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The first unbaptized Christian

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. - Luke 23

The second recorded unbaptized Christian...

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. - Acts 16:31

The requirements to become a Christian...

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

And Paul was no big fan of Baptism....

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. - 1 Corinthians 1:17

Last edited:
Reactions: JackRT

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was Baptized in a Baptist baptistery and in a river. If the opportunity ever arose I would not mind being baptized in the Jordan River. But... I do not believe, baptism is conditional for salvation. If a church wants to make baptism conditional for joining their church, I am ok with that too.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. - Luke 23

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. - Acts 16:31

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:8-10

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. - 1 Corinthians 1:17
Baptism is real simple. What do you do with a dead body? You bury it. Through the cross we die. Through baptism we are buried. Through the resurrection of Christ we are born again, raised with Him to new life. Baptism is an important statement that we are leaving the old life behind. But no, being born again does not require you to be baptised.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Act_19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Water baptism is called "the baptism of repentance" which in itself proves that it is something more than just a "bath". It is a physical act that teaches about repentance and the removal of sins through forgiveness. Baptism is nothing more than repentance in some water because the water symbolizes how we get clean so it was a teaching tool to help people understand that repenting cleaned their souls like water cleaned your body. We don't need the literal water anymore because there is a great baptism:

Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mar_1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luk_3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

• Informative
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A person, the good thief, was personally pardoned by Christ. That does not say anything about the provision which was ordained by Christ for everyone who did not have that opportunity, such as we ourselves.

Nothing here says word one about Baptism not following.

Paul was not saying anything against Baptism there. He was called by the Lord on the road to Damascus in a very special way for a very important purpose, one that he dedicated his life to thereafter. That he did not do ordinary "parish work" as many pastors did in the early days and today as well does not mean that he disapproved of that, but only that his mission was something else (as all of us should be aware of, and how important it was to the spread of the new faith).

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Christian theology there are three forms of baptism:

* of water --- a public celebration of conversion

* of blood --- by martyrdom before baptism can be done

* of desire --- by death before baptism can be done

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

But only the first is the sacrament of Baptist and the subject of this thread. The others are called "baptisms" by analogy.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I have never read of the last two but the only ones I know of in the bible are water, fire and holy spirit.

Luk_3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have never read of the last two but the only ones I know of in the bible are water, fire and holy spirit.
Those two are theologians' conjectures. The idea is that they amount to de facto baptisms and only in very rare circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bad use of Scriptures?
giphy (2).gif

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Water Baptism/immersion of the flesh is for the "dead" human being flesh body, after one becomes a believer and is still living in that body of Adam corruption.
As someone said already, we identify with the death, burial and resurrection of the flesh body of our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ.
The thief on the cross who believed in Christ had no need to be baptized "for the dead" body of his flesh because he wasn't going to live in it anymore, and it will be raised in regeneration on that DAY.
Jesus said to be baptized, not for salvation, but because of salvation, which is a testimony of the "HOPE" of glory for our body, when we are changed, on that day.
So that said, it certainly is not for any man to ignore Jesus' command if they go on living in their flesh after they are born again.
Many do get saved like the thief on the cross, at death's door, and PTL for His mercy in that. They leave the body behind, and go right to glory, to be with Jesus to await the HOPE of Glory, which is the adoption of the body in it's regeneration in the image of Christ's glorified human being body.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person, the good thief, was personally pardoned by Christ. That does not say anything about the provision which was ordained by Christ for everyone who did not have that opportunity, such as we ourselves.

Nothing here says word one about Baptism not following.

Paul was not saying anything against Baptism there. He was called by the Lord on the road to Damascus in a very special way for a very important purpose, one that he dedicated his life to thereafter. That he did not do ordinary "parish work" as many pastors did in the early days and today as well does not mean that he disapproved of that, but only that his mission was something else (as all of us should be aware of, and how important it was to the spread of the new faith).
John Mark did the ministering/serving/water baptizing.
Acts 13:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yet all the disciples he preached to or converted or had any fellowship with were (apparently, obviously, and in context)
all immersed in Yahushua's Name.
Same with JESUS, all who obeyed Him were immersed already or soon, yet Jesus Himself immersed no one if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

No one proved he was not immersed 3 years earlier, perhaps anytime/ some time BEFORE he was imprisoned or sentenced to by crucified.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's a doctrine of baptismS,..." (Heb 6:2)

There are at least. 3 baptisms; specifically:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
Also, "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not in a set order:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19++++!)

3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christian meant a disciple of Jesus, and person was made a disciple of Jesus by baptizing.

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mat. 28:19-20

If person is not baptized that way, I don’t see how he could be called a disciple of Jesus. But I don’t think that is a problem, if person is not baptized. Eternal life is promised for righteous, and that is not same as Christian.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

It wasn't that he didn't like baptism, but that it was not his particular commission. It should be the local churches, and those ordained ministers therein, that should baptize the newly born-again believer. It was also a problem with divisions in churches, and he wanted to avoid people from using him in their defense of such strife.

Upvote 0