Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Knight, your research has been very good overall in stating your points as you see them. On this matter though, did you see my question in a previous post re "The Rock" article from Catholic Answers in that the date they have next to the quote attributed to St. Maximos is several centuries off (A.D.254) & is accurate for the time period of Origen who is quoted afterwards. Since the data is muddled there, I cannot verify if the quote is actually of St. Maximos or Origen; the quote is allegdly addressed to St. Thallasios. I later quoted another Trinatarian definition by the same St. Thallasios that excluded the filioque directly from the Philokalia & mentioned that he and St.Maximos were personally acquainted brethren, how could their teachings diverge? I also stated that someone should inform Catholic Answers that there is a data error (clearly by accident) of info supporting a Roman Catholic theology and that someone should tell them of it.God bless.

Be real careful of "Catholic Answers" and "This Rock" magazine. I used to be a huge fan of theirs when I was a die hard, pope loving Catholic but they tend to bend their information in such a way it suits their agenda.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He can't! :D If the Holy Spirit is the life of the Logos and He is begotten of the Father, then the Son cannot share in the origin of the procession of the Holy Spirit. :amen:

However, St. Maximos explains that the Son plays a role in the actual procession which only comes from the Father:

"By nature the Holy Spirit in his being takes substantially his origin from the Father through the Son who is begotten (Questions to Thalassium 63 [A.D. 254]).

Is St. Maximos wrong? If so, why?

Be real careful of "Catholic Answers" and "This Rock" magazine. I used to be a huge fan of theirs when I was a die hard, pope loving Catholic but they tend to bend their information in such a way it suits their agenda.
I rarely ever read Catholic Answers & was not questioning their integrity (as to adherence to their faith). I was pointing out that a serious data error exists in an article on their website and will only further confuse everyone in that a quote attributed to St. Maximos the confessor may not be his own (due to an accidental data error). God bless.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I rarely ever read Catholic Answers & was not questioning their integrity (as to adherence to their faith). I was pointing out that a serious data error exists in an article on their website and will only further confuse everyone in that a quote attributed to St. Maximos the confessor may not be his own (due to an accidental data error). God bless.

I understand what you were saying. My point was only to further strengthen your point about the serious error on their site. Karl Keating and Catholic Answers tend to bend the truth to fit the Catholic agenda. So does Scott Hahn. In his book "Rome Sweet Home" Hahn goes on at length about what caused him to convert from being a Protestant minister to being Roman Catholic and yet he only quickly glazes over why he did not look into Orthodox Christianity. His reasons for why he didn't look at Orthodoxy were, as I remember, quite weak. In the end, I am not so sure that data error was 100% accidental.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.