Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just when we thought we had blessedly stamped out the cartoon, CCD “Jesus,” a newer, slicker incarnation of this caricature has seeped back into the Catholic Church in the form of "The Chosen".

My generation first met the happy, hippie “Jesus” in our 1970s and ’80s CCD classes. He was a super-nice dude, not scary or stern or particularly demanding. This was a new, enlightened era, after all, and the old paradigms would no longer do. As I’ve often described of those vacuous catechetical times, “the God presented to us was a God who hardly needs to be worshipped, since he’s our pal…” It almost seemed like we remade Christ in our own image and then began to worship ourselves.

We were told that everyone loved and wanted this new “Jesus.” But is that true? After a few years of this laughing, relatableJesus—and not the serious, mysterious, Man of Sorrows of the previous twenty centuries—the pews emptied. The cataclysmic loss of faith went on for decades, and it continues to this day. “You will know them by their fruits,” the real Jesus said (see Matthew 7:15-20), and the long-term fruit of happy, hippie, lopsidedly human “Jesus” has been utter destruction.

Just when we thought we had blessedly stamped out the cartoon, CCD “Jesus,” a newer, slicker incarnation of this caricature has seeped back into the Catholic Church in the form of The Chosen—a wildly popular TV soap opera created by Mormons and Protestants who admit that it is a fictionalized Gospel with fictionalized characters. The show has infiltrated the imaginations of countless Catholics, many of whom should know better. This time, the open promotion of relatable, bro-Jesus is not fueled by “progressive,” dissenting Catholics only, but by faithful, traditional Catholics as well.

Continued below.

Reactions: RileyG

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone seen a comprehensive list with examples of the heresies that are supposed to exist in the Chosen? I don't have time to listen to two hours of podcasts he shares, and this article and the one he links to says they exist but don't give any concrete examples. Seems to focus more on comments the creator of the series has made outside of the show itself rather than the content of the show.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are all sorts of complaints of heresy all over the internet concerning this series.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are all sorts of complaints of heresy all over the internet concerning this series.

Thanks MIchie. I'm slowly working my way through these.

I think my issue is with the word "heresy". Per the catechism -- "Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same;:

I haven't found anything that comes close to rising to that level. One of the articles is written by a person whose biggest complaint is the show violates the doctrine of sola-scriptura because there are things portrayed that didn't actually happen in Scripture. The show makes no bones about being a work of fiction. The question I have is does it portray Jesus in a way that is truly heretical? Not really concerned that people reject it because the false doctrine of sola-scriptura isn't met.

The last article claiming it blaphemes Mary is based on 3 points.

1) Mary indicates she makes mistakes. The author wants us to believe this contadiicts her being sinless. That somehow making a mistake equates to sin. That's hogwash. People can and do make mistakes. Mistakes are not always sin. The first article you provided even says that and is upset because he thinks the show tries to portray 'sins' as 'mistakes' and they're not the same thing.

2) Mary claims she had to clean Jesus off after giving birth. The author cites an understanding by many church fathers that Jesus did not come through the birth canal but rather miraculously passed through her in some other way. To my knowledge that is not officially Catholic dogma. What is dogma is that she remained a virgin before, during, and after his birth without any specific claim as to how that happened. Regardless, even if he did pass through her in another way, what in church teaching would ever teach he wouldn't need to be cleaned up? He'd just been in her womb after all. How is it blasphemy to think he might have needed to be cleaned up? Things like that just make the author seem foolish and unreliable in my opinion.

3) Mary said about his birth event "It actually made me think for just one moment, is this really the Son of God? And Joseph later told me he briefly thought the same thing. But we knew he was. I don’t know what I expected". This one is perhaps the most problematic. But even if we know something in our heart, we can all sometimes have a moment of questioning. A fleeting thought doesn't rise to the level of sin or doubt. I'm not sure the thought that Mary had a moment where she was trying to figure things out before she returned to completely trusting in God and what she knew is that big of a problem. I certainly don't think potraying that reaches the claim of blasphemy against her.

People shouldn't loosely throw around the words "heresy" and "blasphemy" unless something really rises to that level and I just don't see it. That doesn't mean I think the show is perfect. But it doesn't help anyone to falsely portray it as being heretical or blasphemous.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I won’t watch it.
That's a personal choice everyone must make and I won't cast stones either way.

I've only watched the first season and don't know if I'll go beyond that or not. My concern is when people cry "wolf," it makes it easier for a real wolf to be ignored. Age old fable that still applies.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am about episode 5 in first season. I find it engaging and moving. It gives fictional context to scripture narrative. So there is quite a bit NOT found in scripture. But then don't we all try to imagine some context for the lack of it? After seeing most of the other Jesus movies and series, this one seems much less cookie cutter. Jesus is not super good looking. Is it heresy that he smiles and has a good time dancing? I never expect to see any Biblical stories depicted well or in an interesting engaging way. We do not get good theology from movies but they always provide something to discuss and reflect upon. I am enjoying it and plan to watch more (with a critical eye). As I said, it can be very moving in a good way. Where was all this concern for orthodoxy when The Passion of the Christ took us by storm in 2004?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums